Note: Yes these are early numbers. Yes, there will be bugs and misrepresentations. No, the sky is not falling (yet). The people at Simulationcraft are still playing with their numbers - things will change.
So the wonderful people at Simulationcraft have pumped out their initial 5.2 T15H numbers. And, as expected, it puts all 3 hunter specs in the bottom 10 with all hunter specs being within about 6k DPS of each other.
It also shows an overall DPS spread (between all classes) of 35k dps. I lol'ed pretty hard when I saw that one.
The good news is that the sims seem to confirm what most theorycrafters expected: all Hunter specs are very close. Despite the fact that broken pet mechanics hurt BM on several fights this tier, most raiders should be able to play anything (although I would recommend Survival as the go-to spec this tier).
The bad news is painfully obvious. Although these sims are very early, and are done using BiS T15 gear, it is fairly clear that something is a miss. Here are my initial thoughts on the position of Hunters thus far:
- All of our specs are very close to one another. Survival will be the default spec of the tier. BM is broken on several fights (due to pet bugs that have been in since early PTR).
- My initial impressions from my guilds lolnormal clears this week have been that Hunters will be outshined on every fight by dotters / casters; the amount of fights with multidotting / cleaving is crazy. There are exceptions like Tortos and, to a lesser extent, Ji-kun where we can AoE very well, but when it comes to ranged classes this is a Lock / Spriest tier.
- Hunters were in a good spot last tier. However, all those ranged classes under us received buffs which pushed them up above us ultimately leading to us being pushed towards the bottom. Blizzard focused more on getting all of our specs in line with eachother and not with the rest of the DPS spectrum.
- In the next few weeks (probably 2 weeks) we will see nerfs to caster multi-dotting (save Boomkins probably) and maybe some kind of buff to hunters (Aspect of the Hawk in T13).
- At least we are not Rets.