Thread: 2013 MLB Thread

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I really wish the Tigers would stop putting Bruce Rondon on the mound in relief. Dude is awful. He can throw 100mph. Super. It has zero movement and guys just smack it all over the place. He has already cost the Tigers two games this year with shitty relief appearances. All the speed in the world isn't going to save his pitches if they are basically beach balls served up to hitters.
    Dodgers had the same problem awhile back with Guillermo Mota, he'd hit 100 mph, and Ron Gant would hit 500 feet

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I really wish the Tigers would stop putting Bruce Rondon on the mound in relief. Dude is awful. He can throw 100mph. Super. It has zero movement and guys just smack it all over the place. He has already cost the Tigers two games this year...
    If you're talking about today's game, Sanchez lost it before the bullpen got involved.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Snipered.gif

RIP

That RF is lucky he's playing in Arizona, if that was Glasgow the rest of the game he'd have fans heckling him "you fucked up!"

Somehow the Yankees are finding ways to win games this season, Phelps looked magic for 3 innings then coughed it up in the 4th to tie the game at 4-4 but we still find a way to grind it out, not saying it would have went the same way, but I hate to imagine what we'd have been like had we had Granderson, Tex & Jeter in the lineup!

Blue Jays commentary team being disgraceful over the past couple of nights accusing Clay Bucholz and Junichi Tzawa (and if I spelled that right I'll be damned!) of having foreign substances on their arms throwing spitballs....
    Last edited by koodledrum; 2013-05-03 at 09:58 AM.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Blue Jays commentary team being disgraceful over the past couple of nights accusing Clay Bucholz and Junichi Tzawa (and if I spelled that right I'll be damned!) of having foreign substances on their arms throwing spitballs....
    Disgraceful? Seems a bit strong, given that the video evidence pretty much looks like Buchholz is loading up. This is a pretty weird motion to make if he's not loading up at all:

10+ Year Old Account
    Have I mentioned that Brandon League is awful? Maybe a couple times...

If I see him in the 9th again I'm gonna be calling for Mattingly's head

Last 10 outings
    10 1/3 IP
    13 H
    8 ER

I generally don't like seeing the closer with an ERA around 7
    Last edited by draynay; 2013-05-08 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post

I generally don't like seeing the closer with an ERA around 7
    You like seeing any pitcher at all with that kind of ERA?

How about Happ getting almost killed today. Scary.

That is a pretty scary deal with Happ, whenever I see some tool Brit give it "baseball's just rounders isn't it" I'll generally link the one from A-rod a couple of years back where he hit a screaming line drive off the pitchers head into the outfield or the one with Doug Fister from last years world series. Can't really do much about it, you're naturally going to be in a dangerous position after delivering a pitch around 50ft away and it's not really possible to wear helmets or anything like that you just get up there and hope you're not the next guy everyone around baseball is watching lying on a field some place.

Incidentally this is one such occasion where I'd advocate changing some rules, Jennings wound up on third base at the end of this play, I'm not ragging on him for running as I usually use the ethos "play to the ref's whistle", but the umps really should be calling plays like this dead as soon as the pitcher is down. Things like this cause mass confusion as guys are caught between playing the game & caring for a team mate, I'm surprised that after the number of times it's happened particularly over the last couple of years that it's not been brought in, after all most sports have a defined procedure for head injury situations. I know in football over here as soon as there's a head knock the ref is duty bound to stop the game purely because you don't fuck around there, seconds can be the difference between someone not being hurt or being brain damaged for life. Especially when you're talking a ball traveling upwards of 100mph which is rock solid and you're only standing 55ft away.
    Last edited by koodledrum; 2013-05-08 at 07:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured after they dragged their heels and showed no sense of urgency in trying to line the caps with some kind of protection that somebody else was going to get smoked.
    I know baseball likes to be a lumbering dinosaur and fear all change, but it would be nice if they didn't always have to wait for somebody to get killed before they implemented changes regarding player and coach safety.

Especially these days when you're seeing pitchers regularly topping 100mph combined with some of the guys swinging the bats, you imagine if say Prince Fielder gets into a pitch with a full swing at a 100mph meatball it could have scary if not fatal consequences! But we all know baseball, so far behind in the times that Little League is putting them to shame with instant replay....

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol well the Rangers are amusing at times. We do well against teams playing well, sweeping the Red Sox. Then stink it up against teams playing poorly (Cubs, Brewers).

I can't believe I just saw Vernon Wells involved in a 5-3 play...

Or Brendan Boesch hustle out an infield single....

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its time to end the lockout and bring back the regular officials

wait, these are the regular umps? well, shit

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I think its time to end the lockout and bring back the regular officials

wait, these are the regular umps? well, shit
    There was never any doubt, if they'd been getting calls correct then there would have been enough doubt to think they were replacements!

Well since I have no more hockey to care about, my focus would normally shift to the 'still-in-contention-because-it's-May-Blue Jays'.... but that's not a reality this year either. So I'm going to be a Cabrera fan for the rest of the season and hope for a repeat of the triple crown.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was rather interesting when a pitcher faced 4 batters is an inning, struck out all of them and allowed an earned run, ended up with something like 13 Ks in 4 2/3 innings

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    After a shitty start, the Jays are starting to roll along. Finally their big bats are starting to swing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214

Don't know if I've seen this one before. Rangers caught a break here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214

Don't know if I've seen this one before. Rangers caught a break here.
    ... damn.

Tigers' Sanchez had a no-hitter going into the 9th inning earlier. Lesson: don't pitch to Joe Mauer when you're 25 outs into a no-hitter.