Thread: 2013 MLB Thread

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I guess they got the memo since they are giving the job to Uehara now, out in LA its still a mess with neither League nor Jansen getting the job done. If they even get to them, gave up 2 in the 7th and 2 in the 8th last night, the bullpen is a disaster again.
    I'm still amazed that the Red Sox let Papplebon walk. All he asked for was more then a year to year contract. Dude was solid, got people out, and is arguably the second best closer in baseball. And to top it off, apparently there is talks of trading for him.

I feel for you though, i'm honestly baffled why the Dodgers took on Beckett/Crawford contracts. As a Sox fan i'm glad they are gone, but that deal is totally lopsided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    I feel for you though, i'm honestly baffled why the Dodgers took on Beckett/Crawford contracts. As a Sox fan i'm glad they are gone, but that deal is totally lopsided.
    Doesn't really matter a whole lot, Crawford was really productive when healthy, and I don't see anybody the Dodgers sent over contributing anything to the Red Sox. I don't have a problem with it, whats been sinking the team this year are the outfielders besides Crawford. Of course Beckett is a total gimp but we knew that all along, his contract is a lot shorter.

Just me or has umpiring never been this bad? It's to the point now where I expect awful calls.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Jays are back at .500 after Davis had a walk off single in the 9th to break the tie.

I think most Jays fans were getting ready to throw in the towel on the season when they started this streak (assuming they hadn't already). Went from 11 or 12 games back of the division lead and 9 out of the wild card to 5 and 3. Huge week coming up with 3 in Tampa and 4 in Boston starting tonight. If they can manage a 4-3 record on this trip, I'd call it a huge success. The Jays are usually really bad in the Trop, and while Boston has been in a mini slump, I don't expect it to last more than 5-6 games at most.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am not really at all surprised that the Jays got back above .500 so quickly. Look at the roster and tell me that they don't have one of the best teams fielded in terms of raw skill and potential. I think in reality, we should have expected the team to be as poor as they were at the start of the season, with a lot of new faces, a different manager and high expectations, the fact that they faltered isn't unusual. I mean, look at the Dodgers, they are sucking it up big time and they spent more money then Toronto did last winter. Realistically, you are starting to see what the Jays are supposed to be, now that they are getting good quality pitching and the offense is rolling along well. They were favored to win the World Series, if this winning streak keeps going on and they can take hold of their division, there is no reason why they can't win the championship. Still lots of games left to play, but the catalyst to making the playoffs will lie in beating teams in their divisions.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They play so awful at TB. Good game overall but back to back to back homeruns really didn't help their cause.

Good pitching by TB none the less.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the first time since sweeping the Pirates in April, the Dodgers have what I believe is called a "winning streak" which, theoretically, occurs when a team is able to win consecutive games of 3 or more. "Or more" sounds rather fishy, but I have been told it happens.

Man I haven't seen that flick since I was like 8 or 9. Back when non-offensive things humored me plenty.

Glad the Jays could steal one on a surprisingly strong outing by Dickey. Would suck to go 11 straight and then get swept heading into Fenway.

Arod tweets, Cashman tells him to shut the fuck up, Arod goes and squeals at Steinbrenner, Cashman issues a semi-apollogy - man even when he's injured he's more drama than a soap actors meeting!

Mark Texiera apparently to undergo season ending surgery early next week, combined with Youkilis being on the shelf for 10-12 weeks and suddenly Lyle Overbay becomes signing of the year for us, this really is one of the most injury plagued years ever!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Arod tweets, Cashman tells him to shut the fuck up, Arod goes and squeals at Steinbrenner, Cashman issues a semi-apollogy - man even when he's injured he's more drama than a soap actors meeting!

Mark Texiera apparently to undergo season ending surgery early next week, combined with Youkilis being on the shelf for 10-12 weeks and suddenly Lyle Overbay becomes signing of the year for us, this really is one of the most injury plagued years ever!
    I know that feeling, Dodgers started the year with 8 quality starting pitchers, and they were calling up guys from the minors to make spot starts before the end of April.

Phillies 16
    Dodgers 1
    (pending bottom of the 9th)

Chris Capuano 10 hits, 7 R, 5 ER 3.2 innings

What was that about Dodgers starting pitching?

10+ Year Old Account
    Won 8 out of 9 and moved up 4 games in the standings, at least the Dodgers are in the hunt now

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Won 8 out of 9 and moved up 4 games in the standings, at least the Dodgers are in the hunt now
    I forget who said it but I was watching a telecast that had 2 teams that were not the Dodgers. Anyways, the announce team started talking about the Dodgers and their terrible start. He said "Don't count them out yet" and it looks like he was right. Probably helps nobody in the division is playing well.

Speaking of the Dodgers I got an updated Itinerary for a Baseball Tour I'm taking in 3 weeks. For one of our Dodger games we are in the "All-You-Can-Eat" section which will be interesting. We also get to Meet a former Major Leaguer before the game but it doesn't say who.

10+ Year Old Account
    all-you-can-eat is interesting, as long as you don't want a beer or something other than a dodger dog/nachos/peanuts/popcorn

oh lawds, how bad is our bullpen? we just traded for Carlos Marmol

granted it was two guys who were both designated for assignment that got traded for each other, trash for trash, and the Dodgers got an extra international signing out of it, which they have been using to great effect of late

10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I saw the Giants get no hit was when I was playing MVP 2004 and played against the Red Sox with Tim Wakefield pitching. That knuckler was just straight up overpowered.

In other news, times are rough in Giants Land. They can't seem to have good pitching and hitting in the same game. Hell, the rotation isn't half bad lately (except for Kickham, who isn't nearly as bad as his numbers would show) but they can't buy a clutch hit.

I also feel that there is a large contingent of fans and pundits that want the Giants to trade for Nolasco. I don't like the idea personally. Nolasco would be a rental at the cost of thinning an already threadbare farm system. The next few prospects aren't MLB ready yet and probably won't be by the 2014 season either. Who I would like to see targeted would be Bud Norris as his current contract fits the stopgap solution that Nolasco's does not. This also comes in to play with Lincecum and Zito heading into FA this coming offseason.

What a crazy season this has been so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dodgers have been connected with Nolasco but the Marlins seem intent on moving him quickly and I don't see the Dodgers getting pressured into making a deal, they didn't bite on Dempster last year, they will probably let the market play out a bit longer with some of the other starters that are available, and speaking of crazy seasons, whats befallen the Dodgers rotation this year is pretty crazy.

Oh wow, I suddenly feel as if a tremendous burden has been lifted, an immense dead weight is no longer bearing down, the club is no longer carrying Luis Cruz and his .127/.175/.169 worthlessness. WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG? Enjoy free-agency I'm sure every team is looking for a .344 OPS 3B.
    Last edited by draynay; 2013-07-03 at 07:17 PM.

Apparently the Yankees were Draynay.....

Mind you, I'm not sure who's got the more bizarre deal of the day, the Rangers have signed Manny Ramirez to a minor league deal, now I know this is the franchise who took a shot with Josh Hamilton, but Manny's so fucking dumb he's been caught officially twice (unofficially once over and above that if you believe the various lists), it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

And Alex Rodriguez started his rehab assignment last night going 0-2 (GIDP & strikeout looking) as well as having 2 balls bunted to him resulting in the man getting on at A-ball Charleston Riverdogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    yikes, at least the Yankees are around to make me feel less depressed about the Dodger injury situation

we got better offensive production out of the pitching staff than out of Cruz, if they think he is gonna be an adequate bridge to Rodriguez they're setting themselves up for disappointment, I don't care how bad a condition Alex is in

Well lets be honest, Cruz went o-fer last night with an error & was robbed of an extra bases hit, he's not going to be expected to do much, but he is covering for that mighty superstar Jayson Nix, so it's not like there's much to replace right now! (Nix hit the DL thanks to a "grade 2" strained hammy)

Arod also went 0-2 last night in his 3 innings, I did comment last night that I must've slept through everything, Arod's going 0-2 & being lifted from a game, that must mean it's October right?