Refreshing Dots (w/ procs)

Hey all,

So I've heard mixed information regarding when to refresh dots. I was hoping someone could clear it up for me.

Destruction
    -----------
    Do I need to refresh Immolate/Rain of Fire when I get: 1) Temp intell procs from items like Relic of Yu'lon (darkmoon trink)?
    2) Temp intell procs from 'on use' ability trinks?

What about secondary stats like mastery/crit/haste, do I need to re-cast Immolate/Rain of Fire to benefit from either 'on use' or procs from these stats?

Affliction
    ---------
    Same questions regarding dots?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by themasterninja View Post
    Hey all,

So I've heard mixed information regarding when to refresh dots. I was hoping someone could clear it up for me.

Destruction
    -----------
    Do I need to refresh Immolate/Rain of Fire when I get: 1) Temp intell procs from items like Relic of Yu'lon (darkmoon trink)?
    2) Temp intell procs from 'on use' ability trinks?

What about secondary stats like mastery/crit/haste, do I need to re-cast Immolate/Rain of Fire to benefit from either 'on use' or procs from these stats?

Affliction
    ---------
    Same questions regarding dots?
    i would say dont refresh RoF ever, dont refresh immolate outside of pandemic window, but obviously if it is within pandemic and the proc will wear off before the dot falls off then refresh it.

as for affliction - read the sticky. mastering the refreshing of dots is pretty much everything for affli

Ahh so dots still only take a snapshot of your stats when you cast them. Further procs (of any stat) during the dot's duration won't impact it's damage unless the dot is recast.

Ahh so dots still only take a snapshot of your stats when you cast them. Further procs (of any stat) during the dot's duration won't impact it's damage unless the dot is recast.
    Yep.

An addon was advertised here a few months ago called AFFdots. Its amazing. It tracks the power of your dot as you put it up and keeps track of your stats. It lets you know on each dot when its gonna A) fall off and B) how much power the next dot will have if you refresh now. IE say on the pull I prepot, dark soul, trink, haunt, mal to get procs, sb, ss. It will mark my power of those dots. Then when all the shit starts to fall off it will say 98% if refreshed then 78% then 66% and so on. On the other coin if im doing my thing and get a jade serpent proc it will mark 125% if I refresh now.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    On the other coin if im doing my thing and get a jade serpent proc it will mark 125% if I refresh now.
    Boy I sure wish I could get my potion to proc!

So is it recommended to refresh Immolate when one uses trinkets and/or Dark Soul, or is it better to just concentrate on getting out 4 chaos bolts?

10+ Year Old Account
    So is it recommended to refresh Immolate when one uses trinkets and/or Dark Soul, or is it better to just concentrate on getting out 4 chaos bolts?
    Immolate actual damage is largely irrelevant, it's the ember generating you want/need. So it's not a priority, compared to getting CB/SB off. If you have the time though, and nothing else to cast then Immo is probably worth it to cast from an EPCT and DPCT standpoint.

Deleted
    Destruciton focus on getting CB out with procs, immolate is minor dmg but obviously you want a good immolate rolling over a useless one

For affliction, you really need to play within the windows of pandemic and current procs / new procs going in. With Lei shen trinket, i normally pool a shard just incase i get a trinket proc at a crucial time to instant update dots. You can't reliable redo all dots with lei shen trinket, and its also annoying having put up cha'ye / breath dots with trinket proccing 3 seconds later.

Use affdots, or use common sense when it comes to the dots and time left on them. Sometimes its beneficial to wait a few seconds for more procs during a trinket proc to get them all in one, but if you are struggling to focus on all this + the fight it self just be sure to do a thing where you remember when you refreshed dot with good trinket procs and not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Immolate actual damage is largely irrelevant, it's the ember generating you want/need. So it's not a priority, compared to getting CB/SB off. If you have the time though, and nothing else to cast then Immo is probably worth it to cast from an EPCT and DPCT standpoint.
    Having an immolate running with extra crit chance from Dark Soul generates more embers. Refreshing it with a Fel Flame when you pop Dark Soul seems like a good idea to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Having an immolate running with extra crit chance from Dark Soul generates more embers. Refreshing it with a Fel Flame when you pop Dark Soul seems like a good idea to me.
    Mhmm. You start by getting the most out of DS with CB/SB, then you start getting at the details, like making sure you have immo up throughout, making sure you don't Conflag cap OR use backdraft charges on a CB while DS is up, and not embercapping and stuff like that. Having a DS buffed Immo is one of those details you start working on, as it's very nice ember generation for little trouble.

Deleted
    If you refresh RoF you'll probably end up going oom

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haelen View Post
    If you refresh RoF you'll probably end up going oom
    ??
    No.
    Chaos Bolt is our mana regenerator, you will not go oom by casting RoF, Fel Flame and then 5 Chaos Bolts.

Deleted
    ??
    No.
    Chaos Bolt is our mana regenerator, you will not go oom by casting RoF, Fel Flame and then 5 Chaos Bolts.
    Yes.
    Single target and correct ember pooling will cause you to go oom if you overuse RoF.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haelen View Post
    Yes.
    Single target and correct ember pooling will cause you to go oom if you overuse RoF.
    Yes it will, but we were discussing casting ROF when major trinkets proc and/or Dark Soul is used

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is it really though? Immolate doesn't have a very long cast time and when hardcast-refreshed at least you are always sure you have a duration on it anywhere between the minimum or the maximum duration, whereas with Fel Flame you will not have that guarantee.

To clarify I mean casting either Fel Flame or Immolate directly after you casted Dark Soul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkee View Post
    Is it really though? Immolate doesn't have a very long cast time and when hardcast-refreshed at least you are always sure you have a duration on it anywhere between the minimum or the maximum duration, whereas with Fel Flame you will not have that guarantee.

To clarify I mean casting either Fel Flame or Immolate directly after you casted Dark Soul.
    Well you can cast either, but Fel Flame will also generate you embers and since you know you're going to pop Dark Soul soon you should be aiming to have a high duration on Immolate.