[Resto] ToL Question

Hello,

I am new to resto druid re-rolled from shaman. Was curious about how to maximize my ToL. As of now I am just throwing out as many Lifebloom's as i can before a big damage phase. It feels kinda mehh so either I am doing something wrong which is possible or its just a crap CD. I am using WG also when its off CD during ToL.

I have not tried Soul of the Forest yet which may work out better for me.

Any input or advise for a re-roll would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    - Lostep -

Tree of Life is nice in that it is dual purpose;
    A) It can be used as pure throughput (WG on cd, SM on cd, Rejuv spam) to crank the most out of the 15% increased healing

B) Or as more a mana conservation CD (WG on cd, SM on cd, Lifebloom spam and Omen procs->RG). This lets you still put out solid healing while spending much less mana.

C) Or a mix of the two. You really just have to get a feel for using it based on your raid and the mechanics of the fight in question. But make sure to use it, dont let it go to waste on the bar

As for SoTF, its a very solid option, and works extremely well with 4 pc Tier 14. Swiftmend->WG for more aoe healing rotationally, or Swiftmend-> Tranq for some uber fast healing CD (channel time around 3 secs is fun) Swiftmend-> Rejuv/HT if you need some strong tank healing or WG is on CD (which occurs more if you don't have 4T14)

Deleted
    SOFT is a lot better for constant AOE fights (eg garalon has consistant AOE). It makes ur tranq ALOT stronger, because the tranq hot will do about 10 ticks instead of about 4... not to mention the cast time is amazing... a normal tranq seems pathetic when compared with a SOFT one.

I rarely use TOL ne more.. only time i used to use it was on fights like imperial where i may had to move and cast regrowth .. or bladelord for the running phase.. basically any burst phase's or movement intensive.

for the current teir ive not rly seen any fights to use TOL over SOFT as i said.. but choice is urs, if used properly both are decent, but SOFT is my choice

This tier seems to favor SotF much more heavily, I'd only go ToL if you're hurting for mana (ToL, WG on cd, swiftmend on cd, lifebloom both tanks x3, lifebloom x1 stack on everyone else, spam regrowth on clearcasting procs). SotF tranq is a wonderful thing, means you don't NEED to symbiosis a shaman for spiritwalker's grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathruler11 View Post
    SOFT is a lot better for constant AOE fights (eg garalon has consistant AOE). It makes ur tranq ALOT stronger, because the tranq hot will do about 10 ticks instead of about 4... not to mention the cast time is amazing... a normal tranq seems pathetic when compared with a SOFT one.

I rarely use TOL ne more.. only time i used to use it was on fights like imperial where i may had to move and cast regrowth .. or bladelord for the running phase.. basically any burst phase's or movement intensive.

for the current teir ive not rly seen any fights to use TOL over SOFT as i said.. but choice is urs, if used properly both are decent, but SOFT is my choice
    I see this misinformation about SOFT tranqs often, and find it funny because people claim it is so much stronger, yet it in reality it does absolutely nothing to the total healing done.

FYI, the HOT portion of tranq is not effected by SOTF. Only the direct heals are increased in speed, but not in their amount. The SOTF buff is consumed at the initial cast of the channel. In summery, Tranq's total healing done is not increased by SOTF at all.

The HOT portion of Tranquility is only increased by a haste buff that is active during their application (such as a haste buff like Troll berserking, a trinket, etc..).

It is only "burstier", which is quite nice in certain situations and may reduce its overhealing by outpacing other healers. This may be why you think it is stronger, when it really is only quicker. Also, there are times a slower tranq is nice, as it allows more time for it to switch to other targets and more evenly distribute its healing over the raid, really depends on the mechanic.

If you require proof, here is a Dev response from back in the beta, when we questioned them about our testing (and it not effecting the HOT portion) of it:

Posted by Dayani: Soul of the Forest is not affecting Tranquility at all, but Tranquility still consumes the Soul of the Forest buff

Blizzard: The devs just tried this out today and when they looked at the data, everything seemed to be functioning properly. The haste from Soul of the Forest is reducing the channel time of Tranquility. It does not affect the HoT from that Tranquility, though, because it’s already been consumed by reducing the channel time.
    Last edited by Sprucelee; 2013-04-02 at 06:39 PM.
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

Your ToL usage is good. Just keep in mind it's not that much of a throughput increase for heavy damage phases VS your normal rotation. What makes it strong is that you use basically no mana. So where if you just did your normal/spammy rotation to deal with the heavy damage, you'd be drained of a chunk of mana, but with ToL, you end the heavy damage phase at about the same mana as you did when you started. This is the main way to use ToL, as a mana CD to deal with heavy damage. You can use ToL in other ways that are more mana intensive but then you're often just using the +15% healing more than the changes to spells.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
    I see this misinformation about SOFT tranqs often, and find it funny because people claim it is so much stronger, yet it in reality it does absolutely nothing to the total healing done.

FYI, the HOT portion of tranq is not effected by SOTF. Only the direct heals are increased in speed, but not in their amount. The SOTF buff is consumed at the initial cast of the channel. In summery, Tranq's total healing done is not increased by SOTF at all.

The HOT portion of Tranquility is only increased by a haste buff that is active during their application (such as a haste buff like Troll berserking, a trinket, etc..).

It is only "burstier", which is quite nice in certain situations and may reduce its overhealing by outpacing other healers. This may be why you think it is stronger, when it really is only quicker. Also, there are times a slower tranq is nice, as it allows more time for it to switch to other targets and more evenly distribute its healing over the raid, really depends on the mechanic.

If you require proof, here is a Dev response from back in the beta, when we questioned them about our testing (and it not effecting the HOT portion) of it:
    ur actually right, last time i checked im sure the hots ticked faster tho.... or maybe it was just the tooltip that showed it would tick for more

either way, the burst from sotf still makes it seem a lot stronger, and because of the lower channel time u get more time to do ur normal healin rotation.

i still prefer soft over treeform ne way.... the new treants look good tho

Haste does make tranq get more ticks but like it was said earlier, SotF doesn't give more ticks. You have to be careful when counting tranq ticks by yourself that you are counting ticks from one hot. When you tranq by yourself it will choose you for all 3 targets each channel tick so you can end up with several tranq hots on you all ticking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eielayia View Post
    Haste does make tranq get more ticks but like it was said earlier, SotF doesn't give more ticks. You have to be careful when counting tranq ticks by yourself that you are counting ticks from one hot. When you tranq by yourself it will choose you for all 3 targets each channel tick so you can end up with several tranq hots on you all ticking.
    indeed, thank for pointing this out... i always try and line up my tranq with a SOFT to get the "most healing" out of it... but as u said, all it really does is make it more bursty and look cooler!