Thread: LFR Durumu

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Oh please. ToC was 3 years ago. It's silly to draw a straight line from ToC to ToT and ignore the intervening raids.
    The criticisms of ToC became the foundation of essentially all criticism of the WoW raiding game since, and is what opened the door to criticisms about lack of artwork assets and questioning development resources that you will see in every single intervening set of raids with the typical exception of first tier Cata and first tier MoP (because they've made a habit of over-developing during xpac launch).

So now tell me exactly what's silly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    The criticisms of ToC became the foundation of essentially all criticism of the WoW raiding game since, and is what opened the door to criticisms about lack of artwork assets and questioning development resources that you will see in every single intervening set of raids with the typical exception of first tier Cata and first tier MoP (because they've made a habit of over-developing during xpac launch).

So now tell me exactly what's silly?
    Pretty much everything you said. The entire idea that, because people didn't like ToC, they've completely altered how they develop raids; an idea, btw, that ignores all raids prior to ToC including one of the best, Ulduar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    With multiple stacks of the buff increasing DPS. If you just zoned in this would not be possible. So yes, overtuned.
    Depends on how good your damage dealers are in the first place. I've one-shot him a few times with more than half the raid dead because the remaining damage dealers did decent DPS. Durumu isn't a dps race unless your damage dealers are subpar even by LFR standards. I don't understand why people keep throwing around the word "overtuned" for this encounter. Requiring people to not tunnel vision and pay attention for a few seconds every few minutes isn't overtuning. People are dying to an easily avoidable mechanic (primarily the big obvious Ultra Mega Death Ray), if you tune it down any lower Durumu may as well instantly die when you pull him and drop loot.

I suppose you could make the argument that he has a strict and sudden learning curve compared to the rest of the currently available bosses, but that's not nearly the same as being overtuned. It's a clear-cut case when you have a raid of fast learners and kill him easily on the next pull because you didn't have half the raid die to the beam. If he were overtuned you would still be winning by the skin of your teeth even if the majority of your raid survived every maze.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Is it me, or are the safe spots wider and the beam moving slower this week? It can be hard to tell the difference between knowing what to expect and minor encounter adjustments.
    It seems to me that in addition to making the yellow spectrum beam move faster they also seem to have made Disintegration Beam move a lot faster too. The pace at which the maze is revealed apparently scales with the speed of the beam though so anyone who could do the maze before shouldn't have a problem now. It's just slightly more unforgiving to lag spikes.

Deleted
    With multiple stacks of the buff increasing DPS. If you just zoned in this would not be possible. So yes, overtuned.
    I agree. Any boss that actually requires you to move, is overtuned.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOutlaw View Post
    Depends on how good your damage dealers are in the first place. I've one-shot him a few times with more than half the raid dead because the remaining damage dealers did decent DPS. Durumu isn't a dps race unless your damage dealers are subpar even by LFR standards. I don't understand why people keep throwing around the word "overtuned" for this encounter. Requiring people to not tunnel vision and pay attention for a few seconds every few minutes isn't overtuning. People are dying to an easily avoidable mechanic (primarily the big obvious Ultra Mega Death Ray), if you tune it down any lower Durumu may as well instantly die when you pull him and drop loot.

I suppose you could make the argument that he has a strict and sudden learning curve compared to the rest of the currently available bosses, but that's not nearly the same as being overtuned. It's a clear-cut case when you have a raid of fast learners and kill him easily on the next pull because you didn't have half the raid die to the beam. If he were overtuned you would still be winning by the skin of your teeth even if the majority of your raid survived every maze.
    Sure, your 8 DPS can probably kill it if they're all 500+ ilevel guys, I don't doubt that. That's how we did it on the first week in my LFR, 8-10 people alive, 2 tanks, 1 healer (me) and some DPS but the boss was already low because we put him at around 30% before the beam phase due to stacks of determination. If we didn't have that, the boss likely would have been closer to 40-50% and we likely would have died.

And yes, the learning curve. For me, I got ported in when they were already on that boss so I didn't get to see the trash (which is confusing as hell by the way, it just ports you in and you just die in seconds) so I had no idea what was going on. We managed to kill it by slowly progressing further and further each wipe for 8 straight wipes. Now this is fine in NORMAL mode and what I expect but not in LFR. The following week I stood behind the boss and healed myself through the eyesore damage until the maze reached me and I followed it. However, this obviously won't work for me in normal when I get there so I'll have to relearn the entire fight which again is something I don't agree with. The fights should be the same mechanic wise just less damage so you can still learn/practice. For example, a ton of tanks practiced the will dance in LFR. We made our tanks do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yes, the learning curve. For me, I got ported in when they were already on that boss so I didn't get to see the trash (which is confusing as hell by the way, it just ports you in and you just die in seconds) so I had no idea what was going on. We managed to kill it by slowly progressing further and further each wipe for 8 straight wipes. Now this is fine in NORMAL mode and what I expect but not in LFR. The following week I stood behind the boss and healed myself through the eyesore damage until the maze reached me and I followed it. However, this obviously won't work for me in normal when I get there so I'll have to relearn the entire fight which again is something I don't agree with. The fights should be the same mechanic wise just less damage so you can still learn/practice. For example, a ton of tanks practiced the will dance in LFR. We made our tanks do it.
    Actually, it's almost identical to normal mode so LFR is really good practice. I can only think of two mechanics that are drastically different: Light Spectrum (the adds and how you split the damage of the beams) and Force of Will (it actually knocks you really far back, which I'm fairly certain it only looks pretty and sounds cool in LFR). Force of Will barely qualifies as a difference since most people with sense would immediately move away from it anyway.

The main difference is just dealing with the Spectrum phase, which honestly isn't that different as long as you understand that there is no yellow add, you never uncover the blue one, and none of the crimson adds can leave the light beam before they die. You're also required to divide your raid up among the three beams to split the damage they deal and try not to soak the same color twice in a row (like if I soak Red during the first Spectrum phase I'll soak Yellow or Blue on the next one).

Otherwise, if you're good at the LFR version you should be fine on Normal once everyone is on the same page. I personally think that the mechanics are simple, especially for someone used to raiding. The hard part comes with all of the RNG involved with said mechanics.

Told the raid, stand behind the boss to avoid the beam and I would heal them all up in lfr. Half the raid died whilst me and another healer just healed through the mist with healing tide x2 and healing rains. Managed to do 2 maze phases and kill the boss.

Can't believe the amount of people just getting one shot.