Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    I'm curious why so many feel the need to tell others why guild wars didn't suit them, I've never ever encountered this before, is it just me that's been totally oblivious to this and it's the same in all games? personally if I dislike a game for whatever reason I just leave it and never look back.
    its easy, people were duped by the hype. arenanet really did a great con job by pushing their manifesto so hard, every interview touting they were the revolutionaries to the point where people 'actually' thought it was going to happen.

    never before have I seen anywhere a mass amount of people requesting refunds, EVER. not a single word of their manifesto is true (I don't want to hear shit about its just 'guidelines' because it sure as shit wasn't when it was being waved as the 'new age of mmos' flag).

    so yeh, that's why. basically the only people playing are loyalists who will stop their gaming integrity to the all new mmo low of being lied to. throw in the fact that you can actually get BANNED from their official forums for even quoating the actual devs from videos and interviews, well, that's why people post especially on this game.

  2. #42
    It's the nature of forums. They are open platforms for debate and discussion. Wouldn't be uncommon for that discussion or debate to hold interest outside of the game(s).

    If you feel someone's complaints or issues are invalid or foolish, simply ignore. There is always value in allowing a platform for such debate and discussion to occur. Which is what many forums provide.

    That said,

    Stay on topic, ya'll. -- Fencers

  3. #43
    What's the topic again?

    Oh and InfiniteRetro conveniently returns to accent my argument.
    Last edited by Doozerjun; 2013-04-03 at 05:44 PM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    never before have I seen anywhere a mass amount of people requesting refunds, EVER.
    did you miss the whole Sim City fiasco recently? or are you just ignoring facts to suit your argument?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.

    The volume of new game features and content in MoP is a direct consequence of people cancelling subscriptions during Cataclysm. You're welcome.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    did you miss the whole Sim City fiasco recently? or are you just ignoring facts to suit your argument?
    um sorry, I should have put 'put to that point' . at least EA gave away a free game.

    @Doozerjun: lol you want funny? heres what a gw2 player does. he buys the game after watching Angry Joe's blatant ass kissing money grab review (since angry joe couldn't play an mmo if he tried), then, they install it. THEN, they play 5 minutes and think AJ is right and its the greatest thing since breathing...THEN...they search for ME on youtube and cry on every video I made on it LOL

    seriously, never have I seen a dumber fanbase ACTUALLY seek out negative videos to tell ME im an idiot LOL f'ing priceless. oh yeh, i'll probably get banned because people get sensitive when I speak.

    You know this isn't going to fly by now. If you can't post without trolling and insulting people, don't post. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-04-03 at 09:05 PM.

  6. #46
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,407
    Just because the game doesn't force you to be social and group up for the casual stuff doesn't mean that you don't benefit from doing so. Doing any serious WvW requires a good guild and communication for example.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What's the topic again?
    The OP is expressing a feeling of dismay at the anonymity and autonomy players have within the gameplay structure of Guild Wars 2.

    When i started playing wow and i raided with my first guild, i had friendships with the ppl who are in the guild since we actually played together and pass time by talking in /g. But with Guild Wars 2, you don't need to make friends within your guild since you can be multiple guilds and all the public events are open to the public so a solo player can just hop into a public event without being in a group. When i was playing SWtoR, WoW, WAR, when i went to do a public quest or to do world pvp or rvr i was in a group of people and i can learn their names and the person behind the computer while guild wars 2 is just so anonymous. Did anyone else get this feeling?
    Though the OP is muddled and super difficult to read; there is a valid point of discussion in how the nature of Guild Wars 2's grouping and guild options function.

    ^ That is the topic.

    If we are talking about World of Warcraft- this is the wrong sub forum and thread.

    If we are talking about why people post on forums- this is the wrong sub forum and thread.

    If we are talking about your aunt Millie, PVP balance, what toppings you like on your pizza or other errata- this is the wrong sub forum and thread.

    Play nice. Be respectful.

  8. #48
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    did you miss the whole Sim City fiasco recently? or are you just ignoring facts to suit your argument?
    Or D3 - sheesh, entire countries had their consumer protection agencies taken action for that fiasco.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  9. #49
    It's in the name, so I think you could find what you need if you look at the right places

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm in agreement with you here. I never said you had to have voice for EVERYthing.
    You said that no pug will be able to raid without voice: "A pug is not going to be able to raid without voice"

    My point was just that it is possible to pug without voice. In the beginning of cata, people used voice to get through the dungeons. Over time that changed. As Karizee said, there will be content in both games that you need voice coordination and content that you don't.

  11. #51
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK - North East England
    Posts
    315
    IMO it is the community that makes or breaks the guild culture. I agree the leveling process is very accomodating to solo play and in some cases even promotes it but that doesn't stop people forming guilds and holding guild PvE events and grouping together for sPvP and WvW.
    I think the ability to join multiple guilds just allows a player to view the activity of said guilds before choosing the one that best fits their in game needs, but again it doesn't stop you from 'connecting' with a particular guild or guild members.

  12. #52
    Legendary! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    That's giving them way too much credit.
    Althought this is exactly why im playing the game, because I continued to be involved in the community, when I started in here I was very much pro GW2, yes I became a hater and managed to build up a reputation of being negative and quite disliked but right now Im in a place where I can continue to be critical of the flat out pr spin that was and still is constantly pumped out while also enjoying the game. Had I not posted in here still I probably would have been able to just uninstall and ignore it. I am sure the posters in here would have preferred the latter but still.

    OT the complete lack of anonymity was always one of my gripes, the group questing was just an aoe fest requiring no coordination, the whole these guys might as well be a bot thing comes to mind. And gthe ability to jump guilds I find a particularly poor decision, admittedly my lack of actual commitment to a guild is as much to blame but the guilds I've been have been vacuous empty attempts at getting people together for the common good, I dont know if its because the need to form guild groups for content is a cause, excluding the new missions ofc, or if its due to guild hopping or what, but I do have a lot of similar feelings to the OP.
    This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
    More corporate lies and bullshit PR in the gaming industry.

  13. #53
    At least you play it, dray. Even if I don't agree with you at least I know you have some sort of base for your opinion.

    My comment was really for those that just continue to hang around even though they haven't played such and such game forever and never will again. They are like a bad pair of rotten smelly shoes that always comes back to you for some reason.

  14. #54
    Except, Dray, the ability to jump guilds exists in all games that includes guilds -- unless the game locks you into a guild once you join it (ie, you can't leave once you join), that'll always be the case.

    Just like the rest of the game, you get exactly what you want out of a guild, no more, no less - the game doesn't force guild participation on you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  15. #55
    Legendary! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Except, Dray, the ability to jump guilds exists in all games that includes guilds -- unless the game locks you into a guild once you join it (ie, you can't leave once you join), that'll always be the case.

    Just like the rest of the game, you get exactly what you want out of a guild, no more, no less - the game doesn't force guild participation on you.
    Yeah i agree, I suppose the fact that in every guild Ive been in in my other game I have always raided, always been an officer and generally a raid leader so my comparing would be unjust, I just dont like hopping guilds and being able to have 3 or 4 guilds and just flitter between them so easy just exacerbates the problem that guild participation is really not necassary for the majority of content. However were I to build a guild up and really focus on building bonds with my guildies I would probably have a slightly different viewpoint, unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to do so.
    This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
    More corporate lies and bullshit PR in the gaming industry.

  16. #56
    Well, I'm in 3 guilds, technically...one is an old guild, that ended up merging with the second guild (so, most/all the people from the first guild are in the 2nd), and the 3rd is a private bank with a few friends. I can see other uses of the guilds, but at the same time I don't see the fact that you can be in multiple guilds as being detrimental.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    And gthe ability to jump guilds I find a particularly poor decision, admittedly my lack of actual commitment to a guild is as much to blame but the guilds I've been have been vacuous empty attempts at getting people together for the common good, I dont know if its because the need to form guild groups for content is a cause, excluding the new missions ofc, or if its due to guild hopping or what, but I do have a lot of similar feelings to the OP.
    I think it's less about the multiple guilds and more about how the MMO genre is changing. In my last year or so playing WOW the guilds I was in were pretty meh. Before that, I was in a good guild for a number of years. The whole genre has moved more towards casual gaming in general. One of the biggest complaints that people (and it's one of my biggest gripes) is that there is no LFD in GW2. I seem to remember you complaining about the same thing. That has to be one of the biggest anti-social things around. The problem is that I prefer to hop on and play when I feel like it. Want to do a dungeon, I look on GW2LFG and get a group for fractals or a story mode. Have only had one bad experience and that was my fault. My guild (only about 5/6 players online nightly) often asks if anyone wants to join X or Y but I normally don't have time. I quit WOW, in part, because of the commitments that were required. I don't have time for it any more and I have a strong idea that a lot of people are the same. They don't want to commit to X or Y every week. They want to play when they want to play. Guilds are loose in GW2 and that fits into the casual play style. I would love to be able to do a bit more serious content, a bit tougher. I enjoy the dungeons but something bigger and wilder would be great. Like Jormag with 10 people instead of the zerg. The problem is that I don't think I would do it even if it was available because it would require commitment which I can't give. I want to be able to jump on and just queue while I am exploring and then dive in and have some fun. That's very antisocial of me but that's how I want to play.

    A lot of the people in GW2 who are complaining about the lack of comradery in the game are, I think, still remembering a past age. They are forgetting why they looked at GW2 as an alternative in the first place. They are remembering the good times but forgetting the pain that comes with it. It's almost impossible to align casual with organisation and if you do with some sort of LFR type thing, the content either has to be unbelievably simple or you need to put a fractal type gate in so that you can increase the difficulty.

  18. #58
    i was epxecting more out of end-game pve. the end-game i was expecting was the legendary weapons but the grind was a bit too much for me. the idea of farming the same phlinx event for hours was not my idea of fun so i quit the game >_<

  19. #59
    Brewmaster Salech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,274
    dungeons/heroic dungeons - yes
    challenge modes - yes
    raids - yes(a team that is experienced on working together yes)
    heroic raids - yes way.

    it's not hard at all, i don't even use addons anymore for anything just to get a decent challenge.

  20. #60
    I think it's less about the multiple guilds and more about how the MMO genre is changing. In my last year or so playing WOW the guilds I was in were pretty meh. Before that, I was in a good guild for a number of years. The whole genre has moved more towards casual gaming in general.
    Absolutely.

    This is especially true in market leader of World of Warcraft. As goes WoW, so goes the market.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •