Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why guild wars 2 didn't work for me

I know it sounds trivial but something that got me was the lack of guild community. I been playing MMORPGs since DAoC, what i mean from guild community is that guilds are nothing in guild wars 2. When i first joined a guild when the game first launched, it had no effect on my gameplay. You aren't tied down to one guild since you can joined multiple guilds and with this you don't really form ties to the people who are in your guild. When i started playing wow and i raided with my first guild, i had friendships with the ppl who are in the guild since we actually played together and pass time by talking in /g. But with Guild Wars 2, you don't need to make friends within your guild since you can be multiple guilds and all the public events are open to the public so a solo player can just hop into a public event without being in a group. When i was playing SWtoR, WoW, WAR, when i went to do a public quest or to do world pvp or rvr i was in a group of people and i can learn their names and the person behind the computer while guild wars 2 is just so anonymous. Did anyone else get this feeling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm to be honest there are issues I have with GW2 but the guild system is definitely not one of them.

Even when I played WoW, guilds were not like they used to be. Hell I was in any number of guilds and all I really cared about was whether they were max guild level so I had all the perks. I dont have time to be a hardcore raider so LFR is where I see the content so guilds just dont mean much to me anymore so this is not an issue in GW2. In fact I think the freedom to be in 3 guilds and cross server is amazing.

I understand completely what you mean however you can find guilds that have an "exclusive representation" policy whereby you only represent that guild.

I myself have joined such a guild and it's absolutely fantastic, we have 450+ members and 120+ active at a given time and it really restored a sense of community and collaboration for me.

A guild that suits you is certainly out there, I would just say keep looking

I am sure there are people who could and would say the same of just about any MMO out there.

As with all MMOs the social component is on you to decipher. That is to say that players have to seek out the right guild or group for them regardless of game.

We can see such claims of "Never found a good guild..." in every sub forum on MMO-C and across the world wide web.

There is a fair bit of anonymity [& individualism] in GW2 when it comes to the open world. Though just the same the social side of things are up to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    I know it sounds trivial but something that got me was the lack of guild community. I been playing MMORPGs since DAoC, what i mean from guild community is that guilds are nothing in guild wars 2. When i first joined a guild when the game first launched, it had no effect on my gameplay. You aren't tied down to one guild since you can joined multiple guilds and with this you don't really form ties to the people who are in your guild. When i started playing wow and i raided with my first guild, i had friendships with the ppl who are in the guild since we actually played together and pass time by talking in /g. But with Guild Wars 2, you don't need to make friends within your guild since you can be multiple guilds and all the public events are open to the public so a solo player can just hop into a public event without being in a group. When i was playing SWtoR, WoW, WAR, when i went to do a public quest or to do world pvp or rvr i was in a group of people and i can learn their names and the person behind the computer while guild wars 2 is just so anonymous. Did anyone else get this feeling?
    i am not sure if you realize this, but forming ties to other people is not something a game does for you...you kinda have to do it yourself i.e. form relationships with people. i am in a small guild of like 6-7 but my friends list has at least 20-30 people online all the time. idk what to tell you, be more friendly? /shrug
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am sure there are people who could and would say the same of just about any MMO out there.

As with all MMOs the social component is on you to decipher. That is to say that players have to seek out the right guild or group for them regardless of game.

We can see such claims of "Never found a good guild..." in every sub forum on MMO-C and across the world wide web.

There is a fair bit of anonymity [& individualism] in GW2 when it comes to the open world. Though just the same the social side of things are up to you.
    The individualism is just isnt there in guild wars 2, since i feel that we are all the same

---------- Post added 2013-04-02 at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i am not sure if you realize this, but forming ties to other people is not something a game does for you...you kinda have to do it yourself i.e. form relationships with people. i am in a small guild of like 6-7 but my friends list has at least 20-30 people online all the time. idk what to tell you, be more friendly? /shrug
    If the game requires you play in a group to progress in the game it does form those ties. Since you wouldnt be raiding or playing with people you didnt like.

The individualism is just isnt there in guild wars 2, since i feel that we are all the same
    When I mention individualism in this context I mean in the sense that players are unto themselves in Guild Wars 2. Unlike classical MMOs where players needed to group to cross mundane zones or have raiding parties for particularly tough zones. And most importantly, the gameplay of those classical MMOs reinforced that spirit of design.

What make up of your build, class and so forth is of no importance to the autonomy players have in Guild Wars 2 in directing their course through the gameplay. One comes and goes as they please in the over world.

It's a laissez-faire approach to design. Majorly, Guild Wars 2 is non linear.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-04-02 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    When I mention individualism in this context I mean in the sense that players are unto themselves in Guild Wars 2. Unlike classical MMOs where players needed to group to cross mundane zones or have raiding parties for particularly tough zones. And most importantly, the gameplay of those classical MMOs reinforced that spirit of design.

What make up of your build, class and so forth is of no importance to the autonomy players have in Guild Wars 2 in directing their course through the gameplay. One comes and goes as they please in the over world.

It's a laissez-faire approach to design. Majorly, Guild Wars 2 is non linear.
    I understand what you are saying, but thats just the impression i received of guild wars 2. Since there is nothing that really set you apart from other players. Since the game is has a low difficulty ceiling so that the solo player can just hop into a random Public event and defeat the boss, receive loot, and just move on. I want to know who i am playing with, i want the fights to be difficult where you actually need coordination via "skype, vent, team speak, mumble" to defeat the boss.And that not just some random player can join and do it. But sadly that is what the foundation of the game is built off of

10+ Year Old Account
    If the game requires you play in a group to progress in the game it does form those ties. Since you wouldnt be raiding or playing with people you didnt like.
    you are confusing things with your argument, because what you are basically saying is you want GW2 to force you to make friends, but what you fail to remember is that the traditional games may have "promoted" group play for certain content, but you still had to make friends yourself and just because you are in a group/guild with other people doesn't mean you like each other, so i really fail to see what you are after. there is nothing stopping you from talking to people who join in at an event, beat you/you beat in tPvP, join your dungeon group, or you just bump into in a town and become friends and make/join a guild together.

there seems to be this "supposed" lack of agency people seem to have when they are given "freedom" and are only asked to do what they want, within the confines of the game.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

If people jump around to other guilds, they probably never cared much about you to begin. I have an awesome guild currently.

i want the fights to be difficult where you actually need coordination via "skype, vent, team speak, mumble" to defeat the boss.And that not just some random player can join and do it.
    In WoW and other MMO's you can do dungeons and raids without the need for communication programs and it's the same with GW2 that doesn't mean that all the content is easy.

Can I ask what level did you get up to and what explorable dungeons did you complete? Also what's level fractals did you get up to?

Just want to check what kind of content you partook in.

Er, easily half of my time as a raider was spent with people I didn't like. You don't always get a choice. Just because a game has raiding (as used in this example) as the top tier PvE activity doesn't guarantee you a good guild. Different guilds are going to have different levels of progression, different schedules, different class needs, etc. I didn't get to cherry pick my raiding guilds, I had to settle for who'd take me that met most of my preferences.

I really don't understand this mentality of 'forced' grouping promoting social activity. I've done the raiding, the dungeon crawling, the group quests, etc. in other MMOs. A very small percentage of those players were people I'd want to continue to socialize with after said activity and they're almost never from the same guild.

I understand what you are saying, but thats just the impression i received of guild wars 2. Since there is nothing that really set you apart from other players. Since the game is has a low difficulty ceiling so that the solo player can just hop into a random Public event and defeat the boss, receive loot, and just move on. I want to know who i am playing with, i want the fights to be difficult where you actually need coordination via "skype, vent, team speak, mumble" to defeat the boss.And that not just some random player can join and do it. But sadly that is what the foundation of the game is built off of
    Social connection and challenging content are not the same or intrinsically linked in game design.

For example;

Players can and do form social bonds/connections in Wizard 101. Players can and do participate in challenging content irrespective of social bond/connection in Aion.

These are not quirks of the either game's design. It's a matter of personally finding the right bunch of people for you.

When someone mentioned the word dungeon crawling, I thought how cool it would be to have an old school D&D styled dungeon, filled with monsters and traps and chests and stuff, which was randomised with random rooms and doors and such. Could be a giant mountain in the style of Grimrock or the Sword and Sorcery books.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    I understand completely what you mean however you can find guilds that have an "exclusive representation" policy whereby you only represent that guild.

I myself have joined such a guild and it's absolutely fantastic, we have 450+ members and 120+ active at a given time and it really restored a sense of community and collaboration for me.

A guild that suits you is certainly out there, I would just say keep looking
    This is how I feel and I'm in a similar guild. We have to rep full time, the guild is full with 500 members, and on prime time every night there's at least 70-90 people online. We do a lot of stuff together too, we do at least 1 type of guild mission every night...not that those are really much, but at least people are coming together every night to do stuff. It's definitely helped how much I like the game.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    This is how I feel and I'm in a similar guild. We have to rep full time, the guild is full with 500 members, and on prime time every night there's at least 70-90 people online. We do a lot of stuff together too, we do at least 1 type of guild mission every night...not that those are really much, but at least people are coming together every night to do stuff. It's definitely helped how much I like the game.
    I'm just like this guy and the other who mentioned it. Joined a guild with 400+ member and we have about 150 people online each night and guild chat can get a bit chaotic at times but there is no shortage of personalities and people reporting events happening all over the game world, asking for assistance on some of the bigger chain events, dungeons, guild mission etc. I do have my core group of friends that I will normally dungeon or WvW with but if we only have 4 of us online getting a 5th from the guild is never a problem.

I certainly don't feel like there is nothing that separates you from other people. Its your personality, your character, your gear. Anyone with a legendary is memorable for me since they cost so much to make. Anyone with a different name/character look is memorable (the 'Inedible Hulk' always springs to mind - a huge green norn with purple pants.)

Its how you approach the game that matters.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

I can sympathize with the OP. I don't feel like I have any attachments to my guild. Even in a large active guild. I still only play with my brother consistently whereas in WoW I had 5 guys that I was always doing stuff with because the guild was a way to help find like minded people.

It can be hard to make that close crew in such a large guild but overtime you find those players you mesh with. The easiest way is to stay with one guild and just weed your way through them with whoever is on in your zone.

GW2 was fun, but I think GW was better. Of all my complaints about the series though, is that guilds really didn't work out well because you can join any number of them, so it didn't encourage actually guild activity.

Deleted
    You don't need to make friends, true, but you are encouraged to do so. In the end, this is why there are guild only activities and such now.

For example, in GW2 I am in only one guild. Why? Because why would I be in more? I can talk to people and be friendly in it, and there is some bonding. Being in multiple guilds and not bonding with any is your choice in the end.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    In WoW and other MMO's you can do dungeons and raids without the need for communication programs and it's the same with GW2 that doesn't mean that all the content is easy.

Can I ask what level did you get up to and what explorable dungeons did you complete? Also what's level fractals did you get up to?

dungeons/heroic dungeons - yes
    challenge modes - no
    raids - no(a team that is experienced on working together yes)
    heroic raids - no way

I would like to ask you the same about wow if you think you can do the content without talking to each other.