Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Triple monitor, worth it?

Planning to buy 2 more Dell IPS monitors and a triple monitor stand,

Is it worth it? I mean it looks great and efficient.

However, monitor stand prices are through the roof, why is that? (just a side question)

Does anybody here have triple monitor?

Well.. It's a bit depended on yourself. What do you plan to do with 3 monitors? Will you be using them in such a way, that you actualy paid for what you get?
    If you'll playing flying-simulators, I'd realy suggest it. But if it's just staying on, for example, WoW. I don't see the benefit or "fun" factor behind it.
    You're also saying it looks efficient, in what kind of way is that?

I'm using two monitors (my main, beautiful monitor and a cheap-side monitor).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    Well.. It's a bit depended on yourself. What do you plan to do with 3 monitors? Will you be using them in such a way, that you actualy paid for what you get?
    If you'll playing flying-simulators, I'd realy suggest it. But if it's just staying on, for example, WoW. I don't see the benefit or "fun" factor behind it.
    You're also saying it looks efficient, in what kind of way is that?

I'm using two monitors (my main, beautiful monitor and a cheap-side monitor).
    Well at the moment I am using 2 monitors.

However one is running a series, the other WoW.

Sometimes I have to run the browser or skype over the series which is annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    nearly everyone i know that has tried it has gone back to a single screen, including myself

there are still way too may issues with surround gaming, GPUs and game engines still aren't optimized for it yet

if you want to stick with it, it will get better with time, but personally it's not something i would consider for at least another 3-4 years

Obviously, when it's such a bother to you.. It's probably worth it. (I never play my series in a fullscreen, so I don't get the same problem).

I guess as long as you use them for what you're planning to use them, and "solve" your problems.. I'm sure it's worth it, isn't it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    nearly everyone i know that has tried it has gone back to a single screen, including myself

there are still way too may issues with surround gaming, GPUs and game engines still aren't optimized for it yet

if you want to stick with it, it will get better with time, but personally it's not something i would consider for at least another 3-4 years
    Are you serious? :O

I thought it would be better.

I am not planning to do surround gaming though.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    And taking in cosideration what Cyanotical said.. It won't be intervening with your business then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? :O

I thought it would be better.

if you're not planning on surround, i still don't really see a point, but that's just me, a second monitor i can understand, but i would struggle to figure out what to put on the 3rd screen, my brother however, uses 5 monitors and has different things on each, so to each his own

but, you do take a very minimal performance hit by running extra screens, and your gpu will run a bit hotter, but not anything alarming

15+ Year Old Account
    You got the graphics card to back it up?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You got the graphics card to back it up?
    Yeah sure, a HD 7870. One HDMI, one DVI and 2 mini Display ports on it.

Quad is too expensive and I imagine I don't need it.

Also, should I go for IPS or go for LCD? LCD doesn't have the same color at all angles advantage but hey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, should I go for IPS or go for LCD? LCD doesn't have the same color at all angles advantage but hey.
    I personally don't feel IPS are worth the price for gaming. Having done a review on some, I think they're nice. Just not nice enough to warrant an extra 50-100 bucks each. And the color at angles? Are there people who sit at 80 degrees on their computer? I dunno about you, but I have this strange habit of actually facing my monitors.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I personally don't feel IPS are worth the price for gaming. Having done a review on some, I think they're nice. Just not nice enough to warrant an extra 50-100 bucks each. And the color at angles? Are there people who sit at 80 degrees on their computer? I dunno about you, but I have this strange habit of actually facing my monitors.
    Me too.

So usual LCD it is? :P They are cheaper most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, in the end, it's your money, and totally up to you.

Am I happy with standard TN panels that are cheaper? Totally.

Would I be ecstatic if someone gave me similar sized IPS for the same price? Definitely.

My GF recently got dual 22's IPS, and they're awesome, and we got a fantastic price on sale. It happens so rare, though.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I mean, in the end, it's your money, and totally up to you.

Am I happy with standard TN panels that are cheaper? Totally.

Would I be ecstatic if someone gave me similar sized IPS for the same price? Definitely.

My GF recently got dual 22's IPS, and they're awesome, and we got a fantastic price on sale. It happens so rare, though.
    Yeah, I use this Dutch website, you can specificate what you want in the sidebar, it will search any online Dutch stores for the monitors for your specs, and the cheapest price. http://tweakers.net/categorie/344/mo...118z-Ib66QUnoA

24 inc to 27 inch I am looking for. But there isn't much choice.
    EDIT: Oops I only marked Dell.

There IS much choice.

Also, yeah, IPS is indeed nicer to have, but a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-04-03 at 01:28 AM.

Triple screen works great.
    Gaming in triple screen works decent -- as long as you use AMD video cards.

I know that triple monitor can be very effective if you are doing computer programing. Not sure how you could used it for gaming though. To me a super large screen would be better.

Why don't you just keep your dual monitor set up and get a TV to watch your shows on? My only gripe with this set is is the programs that must send sound through the default device.

Deleted
    actually partly got the same problem.
    planning on getting a 1440p screen but not sure if i'd replace one my 24" screens. (likely mostly logicstics issue in the first place in how the hell to fit 3 huge screens in my tiny room)
    you could also just save the funds to be first in line for the next new thing of hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    Why don't you just keep your dual monitor set up and get a TV to watch your shows on? My only gripe with this set is is the programs that must send sound through the default device.
    Monitors do a much better job of watching series when they are ~1 meter from your nose. TVs are designed to be viewed from far away. Close up they have a lot of pixelation.
    Last edited by Tehterokkar; 2013-04-03 at 05:55 AM.

Whether or not multi monitor is going to be worth it depends almost entirely on the person. I switched and now find it difficult to convince myself to play games without surround. More games are starting to come with better multi monitor support, an d most big games without it have fan made fixes. I would recommend going to wsgf.org to learn a bit more. They also have a massive database of games that tells you what level of multi monitor support is provided, so you can see what in your library will give you issues. Also. Your card probably wont be enough to play newer games on high settings. And considering multi monitor is all about immersion, playing eyefinity with minecraft like graphics seems a bit counterproductive.