10+ Year Old Account

Allocation of Resources

I noticed Zarhym's comments (from twitter) on April's fools day, quoted below:

We had some ideas that didn't pan out, & just couldn't justify spending more time & resources on jokes. Busy year!
    We thought about whether players wanted jokes & fake content, or real content. We're working on real content.
    This got me thinking: has Blizzard allocated its resources wisely during this expansion? We have had plenty of development resources placed into Pet Battles and Scenarios when the majority of players don't even take part in either. Now they are adding Heroic Scenarios and putting even more resources into Pet Battles in 5.3.

For the record: I have enjoyed this expansion and think it's a big improvement over what Cataclysm brought. I just feel Blizzard might be focusing development time on the wrong features.
    "Come, Stormrage, and I will show you what happens to those that betray the lord of the Legion!" — Mannoroth.

The features you enjoy may not be what everyone else enjoys. They need to a little bit for everyone else parts of the game will die off or become stale. Pet battles are not my cup of key but someone in my guild loves it. I enjoy raiding, but I wouldn't want them to stop balancing pvp just because we need more content faster. Its a push and shove balance. Remember blizzard is a company and at the end of the day it is about the $$ (Though some of the CM/GMs/devs are very passionate about their game so don't get me wrong im not a tinfoil hat conspiracy person).

Personally I think they have done well with their time, they have added many new things even have been updating and adding to them while at the same time keeping a steady pace for pve and pvp balance issues and raids
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Just beacuse you feel like scenarios and pet battles are a waste of resources doesn't matter everyone else does.
    I love scenarios ( Love the idea of them taking over as the new dungeons. Cause face it - what's fun with 5 man dungeons?).
    And pet battles are amazing, sadly I havent had the time to get far with it

They are big hits and that's why they get more development.

I don't really see the huge issue with them not publishing big April Fools Jokes this year.

They're busy and their ideas for it, in their opinion, weren't funny and they didn't want to spend more resources on them.

That's perfectly understandable.

Yet, as a community, some of us feel a need to bash them for neglecting to do anything new for it.

It's depressing to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

They've split their development teams into multiple teams (I think 2). 1 for doing raid patches and 1 for doing lore patch like 5.1/5.3 (maybe 5.5).
    I think this is a smart move on their part. With it, they are keeping their "promise" in faster patches.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Path View Post
    We have had plenty of development resources placed into Pet Battles and Scenarios when the majority of players don't even take part in either.
    I had no idea you worked for Blizzard, Divine Path, would you mind providing us with your internal sources regarding how "the majority of the players" don't take part in either?

I mean, I don't work in development, so I can't make any retarded absolute statements, but if I had to make a theory regarding current evidence, I would say that:

With the evidence provided (said evidence being the fact that they're A. still creating new pets to battle with and Scenarios, and B. working on developing "Heroic: Scenarios" for more geared players, one could surmise that there are enough people doing this content to justify continued resource allocation.

Again, that's just a theory, I'm not so stupid that I would blurt potentially incorrect "facts" with no sources, but hey, what do I know?
    Last edited by Boogums; 2013-04-03 at 07:45 AM.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    They've split their development teams into multiple teams (I think 2). 1 for doing raid patches and 1 for doing lore patch like 5.1/5.3 (maybe 5.5).
    I think this is a smart move on their part. With it, they are keeping their "promise" in faster patches.
    3 teams. Got a blue tweet/post on it earlier. 1 on the next xpack, 1 on raid patches and 1 on lore patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrah View Post
    3 teams. Got a blue tweet/post on it earlier. 1 on the next xpack, 1 on raid patches and 1 on lore patches.
    Ah thank you. I knew I was forgetting something. With these 3 teams, it's even better.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Basically from what i can read from that twitter was

"We had some jokes but they sucked so we just said fuck it"

No big lose i suppose

Wait who doesn't do Scenarios? I can't think of tons of people who dislike them, but not doing them all together is pushing it. What's more there's allot of people who like them.

I will give you that Pet Battles aren't done allot on account of they're undeniable optionalness, but allot of people have still tried and/or liked it even if they don't devout time to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    I had no idea you worked for Blizzard, Divine Path, would you mind providing us with your internal sources regarding how "the majority of the players" don't take part in either?
    My cousin actually works for Blizzard. According to his data, the percentage of players that utilise the Pet Battle feature and Scenario feature is less than 50% each. Do you understand what the word "majority" means?

I mean, I don't work in development, so I can't make any retarded absolute statements, but if I had to make a theory regarding current evidence, I would say that:

With the evidence provided (said evidence being the fact that they're A. still creating new pets to battle with and Scenarios, and B. working on developing "Heroic: Scenarios" for more geared players, one could surmise that there are enough people doing this content to justify continued resource allocation.

Again, that's just a theory, I'm not so stupid that I would blurt potentially incorrect "facts" with no sources, but hey, what do I know?
    You don't need to make absolute statements for your views to come across as retarded.
    "Come, Stormrage, and I will show you what happens to those that betray the lord of the Legion!" — Mannoroth.

If we're going by your (OP's) logic, they might as well scrap raids considering it's a minority of the playerbase that actually do them while they're current content.