Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,153

    Random Name Generator... Or Rather Lack Of!

    This is something that has always puzzled me.

    As far as I'm aware, the US version of WoW has always had the option to generate a random name when creating a character. The EU version however, has never (iirc) had this option after so many years.

    I see no reason why it would be in one version of the client and not in another. They are quite basically the exact same thing except having access to different servers. Why would such a simple little feature be left out?

    Sometimes updated...

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The EU version however, has never (iirc) had this option after so many years.
    Wait. What? Really?

    Huh. You learn something new every day.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Kazomir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sofia/Bulgaria
    Posts
    4,059
    If you are that stuck for ideas for a name just open google and type Random name generator. Simple.
    Last edited by Kazomir; 2013-04-04 at 01:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink22 View Post
    rogue "glory hole helm"

  4. #4
    Mechagnome SanderZammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Take a guess... no, NOT THERE! You and your dirty mind.
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the US version of WoW has always had the option to generate a random name when creating a character. The EU version however, has never (iirc) had this option after so many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Wait. What? Really?

    Huh. You learn something new every day.
    Exactly the opposite for me - I had no idea the US version had a name generator. Awesome, we should have that too!

  5. #5
    Indeed, take it out from US servers aswell, thanks.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is something that has always puzzled me.

    As far as I'm aware, the US version of WoW has always had the option to generate a random name when creating a character. The EU version however, has never (iirc) had this option after so many years.

    I see no reason why it would be in one version of the client and not in another. They are quite basically the exact same thing except having access to different servers. Why would such a simple little feature be left out?
    Wow I didn't know that.
    I can only assume the name generator only works well for english names, and they did not put much effort in it to expand it to other languages.
    A random name generator always is kindof risky in a multi-language game, since harmless "english" gibberish could have some (mean) meaning in other languages.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    If you are that stuck for ideas for a name just open google and type Random name generator. Simple.
    I'm not stuck for names. I actually enjoy coming up with them. It just puzzled me that the EU version never had one. The EU and US clients are essentially the same as far as I know. Seems silly that it's in one version and not the other.

    Sometimes updated...

  8. #8
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    174
    It would be like one of those Baldur's Gate character creation mini games where you allocate skill points, except with a name. I'd stop when I hit "Flaign'en'sten"

  9. #9
    I never noticed it was gone from the EU version... I'm almost 100% sure it used to have it.

  10. #10
    Scarab Lord Kazomir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sofia/Bulgaria
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I'm not stuck for names. I actually enjoy coming up with them. It just puzzled me that the EU version never had one. The EU and US clients are essentially the same as far as I know. Seems silly that it's in one version and not the other.
    Yea it is silly, but it's not that big a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink22 View Post
    rogue "glory hole helm"

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Yea it is silly, but it's not that big a deal.
    I'm not making a big deal out of it >_>

    It's just a curiosity.

    Sometimes updated...

  12. #12
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    174
    Did we ever have it in the EU though? I'm not sure and I've been a player since they launched. Hmm, herp.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The EU version however, has never (iirc) had this option after so many years.
    I was completely unaware of this.

    That is strange, maybe there are worries about what those random names could mean in one of the many languages used by players on the EU realms?

    That sucks, I made my Hunter's name based off slightly modifying a random name from the client. I suggest going to google and searching around for a nice generator, I've seen ones that can even generate names based on many categories, like Dwarf names or Elf names that generate very Tolkien-esque names for man different races, works very well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon2K View Post
    I never noticed it was gone from the EU version... I'm almost 100% sure it used to have it.
    Nope, I'm pretty sure the EU client never had an option like that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

  15. #15
    I didn't know this either. Kinda odd, i guess us lazy Americans need someone to pick our names for us.... MURICA! Hope you guys get the option soon though , i know of people that actually use it.

  16. #16
    Immortal Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    7,342
    Maybe I was playing on a US client (???) but I've used this feature in the past, I was puzzled when I came back to the game and it was gone.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    Hah, I had no idea.

    Just as easy to roll your face across the keyboard and use the result as your name.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,448
    I never had any luck with it anyway. Every name it ever gave me that I liked was already taken.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  19. #19
    Didn't the eu version have it in tbc? it feels very familiar.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Deroth View Post
    Nope, I'm pretty sure the EU client never had an option like that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
    i have to agree with dragon on this, pretty sure we used to have one.. i remember asking a gm once about name generation... ohwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •