Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

What if we don't kill Garrosh, and he'll remain Warchief?

What if we don't actually kill him. In fact, when I think about it, it would be a bit weird for the game to have a different warchief at some point. They would either have to use phases to make it work, or it will feel weird to have a certain warchief greeting you in Orgrimmar at level 1, and then having so much story about Garrosh in the zones, even up to Pandaria. Sure, technically that is in the past, but will they then only make you see the new warchief in Orgrimmar when you're 90? Or 91-95? What will happen when patch 5.4 releases, will Garrosh still stand around in Orgrimmar?

Replacing leaders in the game is difficult.

And because of that, very often when characters die, it is not reflected in the game, like with Jaina and Rhonin, or Korialstrasz. The only time they really changed around the leadership of a lot of races was when Cataclysm launched. Cairne died and was replaced by Baine, Magni was turned into diamond and was replaced by the council, Thrall left and was replaced by Garrosh. And that was really only possible because they've redone the world. They've also replaced Anduin/Bolvar with Varian before Cata, but there weren't so many problems with that lorewise. There wasn't so much tied to the Stormwind leadership. It's a bit different with Garrosh. The Cataclysm and MoP storyline seems to be heavily focussed on Garrosh.

Can this change in leadership be done without feeling strange?

Deleted
    Since Vol'Jin is the already decided next warchief .. I cant think of your hypothetical situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Since Vol'Jin is the already decided next warchief .. I cant think of your hypothetical situation.
    he is ? any source for that claim? I seemed to miss it if it was on front page...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    It really isn't, there's as good a chance that it'll be Lor'themar or Thrall again for that matter. Blizzard knows who they'll make Warchief, but it's a secret they are keeping very close.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    What if we don't actually kill him. In fact, when I think about it, it would be a bit weird for the game to have a different warchief at some point. They would either have to use phases to make it work, or it will feel weird to have a certain warchief greeting you in Orgrimmar at level 1, and then having so much story about Garrosh in the zones, even up to Pandaria. Sure, technically that is in the past, but will they then only make you see the new warchief in Orgrimmar when you're 90? Or 91-95? What will happen when patch 5.4 releases, will Garrosh still stand around in Orgrimmar?

Replacing leaders in the game is difficult.

And because of that, very often when characters die, it is not reflected in the game, like with Jaina and Rhonin, or Korialstrasz. The only time they really changed around the leadership of a lot of races was when Cataclysm launched. Cairne died and was replaced by Baine, Magni was turned into diamond and was replaced by the council, Thrall left and was replaced by Garrosh. And that was really only possible because they've redone the world. They've also replaced Anduin/Bolvar with Varian before Cata, but there weren't so many problems with that lorewise. There wasn't so much tied to the Stormwind leadership. It's a bit different with Garrosh. The Cataclysm and MoP storyline seems to be heavily focussed on Garrosh.

I don't know if we'll kill him (though i'm 98% sure) but I refuse to believe that he'll remain Warchief. As for the replacing leaders, I don't know. They replaced Cairne, Bolvar and Magni quite easily - heck, they did it so easily that most of it didn't even happen in the game.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Yes, easily... especially when the majority despise the leader.

Even more so when you see the leader massacring his own people and being vindictively angry.

And considering the majority already hated him when they put HIM in charge and replaced Thrall...

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of time loops in wow. A post cata azeroth takes you into a pre illidan's death outland which goes to a pre lich king's fall northrend, which brings you back to a pre deathwings death azeroth then sends you off to a post cata new land.

Someday I hope the questing gets a time space continum fix.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yes, easily... especially when the majority despise the leader.

Even more so when you see the leader massacring his own people and being vindictively angry.

And considering the majority already hated him when they put HIM in charge and replaced Thrall...
    I'm talking on a technical level, not lorewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It really isn't, there's as good a chance that it'll be Lor'themar or Thrall again for that matter. Blizzard knows who they'll make Warchief, but it's a secret they are keeping very close.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 03:10 PM ----------

I don't know if we'll kill him (though i'm 98% sure) but I refuse to believe that he'll remain Warchief. As for the replacing leaders, I don't know. They replaced Cairne, Bolvar and Magni quite easily - heck, they did it so easily that most of it didn't even happen in the game.
    Like I explained, that was done in Cataclysm. The fact that they changed 3 leaders in an expansion where the world was completely redone, to me that says, that they wanted to use the opportunity, because it's hard to do that in some cases without changing certain things.

There's a lot of stuff tied to Garrosh. Appearances in certain zones, the war machine etc.

Like I explained, that was done in Cataclysm. The fact that they changed 3 leaders in an expansion where the world was completely redone, to me that says, that they wanted to use the opportunity, because it's hard to do that in some cases without changing certain things.

There's a lot of stuff tied to Garrosh. Appearances in certain zones, the war machine etc.
    That's why he will stay military General but be dethroned and answer to the new Warchief. All his stuff in Cataclysm makes sense and all they have to do is tweak a bit to Warlord from Warchief.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

To an extent, I agree with you OP. With Cata, they reworked the whole world to be centered around current events, and now after only one expansion it's already out-dated? At least with the questing, you could argue that the Horde/Alliance conflict in the Barrens was an extension of what was happening in Pandaria, but now that the warchief is being ousted, there is a significant lore change involved.

To that end, I would have liked to see the emperor Shao Han/Sha of Pride be the expansion boss, or even have it be some introduction into the Burning Legion. This way, we could have Garrosh go nuts with fel energy in 6.2, remove him as warchief and then gather our forces together to repel the BL.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    That's why he will stay military General but be dethroned and answer to the new Warchief. All his stuff in Cataclysm makes sense and all they have to do is tweak a bit to Warlord from Warchief.
    You don't know that, please people - stop trying to claim that your own theory is the truth.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I personally think that Garrosh will be exiled just so he can return and save Thrall and CO from the legion (in the expansion were we fight the legion duh)

Cliche but that probably happens

Phasing will probably happen. Before they made his absence permanent, Varimathras was visible in Undercity to those, who hadn't completed the Wrathgate chain, and disappeared after you finished it.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    You don't know that, please people - stop trying to claim that your own theory is the truth.
    Im not claiming it as truth, we are in a speculation thread not a leak thread.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily, all they'd have to do is Phase Garrosh out after you kill him and put whoever the new Warchief will be instead of him in his throne room ... maybe add a few quests to reflect the fact that u killed garrosh and tell you who the new boss is

NO! slay the bastard! i dont want another gallywix
    why couldn't our assistant become the leader of the goblins? she was awesome!
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Danmakus View Post
    NO! slay the bastard! i dont want another gallywix
    why couldn't our assistant become the leader of the goblins? she was awesome!
    To be honest were going to need as many Strategic Generals and Military minds as possible when the Burning Legion comes back, we can't kill them all in SoO. (Maybe we will just capture them ?)
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Easily, all they'd have to do is Phase Garrosh out after you kill him and put whoever the new Warchief will be instead of him in his throne room ... maybe add a few quests to reflect the fact that u killed garrosh and tell you who the new boss is
    That is the most logical way to do it, but what if someone never kills him?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Phasing will probably happen. Before they made his absence permanent, Varimathras was visible in Undercity to those, who hadn't completed the Wrathgate chain, and disappeared after you finished it.
    But only for a short time, he's not there anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is the most logical way to do it, but what if someone never kills him?

well obviously they will eventually make the change permanent for everyone prolly when next expac hits...

If on a technical level, then even more easy - because you're just swapping one NPC for another.

I'm really not sure where the problem is here...

Yup. Though in all fairness, he was easier to remove than Hellscream. Also, phasing was a new thing then, Blizz is much more savvy at its use now. Phasing is the most cost-effective way to deal with all the quests tied to Garrosh I can think of.

Altough, another thing they could do is have someone in Orgrimmar serve as a sort of regent for all quests that atm require you to personally talk to Garrosh. They did that with Varimathras after his removal, the orc handling his quests stated that he wasn't available at the time and only after Wrathgate he talked about the dreadlord's betrayal.

So yeah, two easy ways to deal with this issue it seems. I personally hope they will go with phasing.

EDIT: It'll probably be a regent questhandler, as we must be able to do the quests post-SoO too, and by then phasing would have already replaced Garrosh with the new Warchief.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2013-04-03 at 03:47 PM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.