Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think the pandaren were a success?

And I mean more than in just terms of the race itself. They introduced the "bi-faction" system and are Warcraft's first neutral race, something a lot of us never thought Blizzard would go for.

What do you think? Did it work out? Do you want to see more neutral races in the future, or go back to unique races for each side?

From a lore point of view, i think it's plausible, but I don't think it did something particularly interesting or meaningful in terms of gameplay right now. However, the thought of expanding the idea to some of the old races in the future sounds pretty exciting IMO. I'd like to see them go that path, but I don't realistically expect it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It's definitely an interesting approach, and I think it certainly works for the Pandaren themselves. That being said I would hope it's not a system they overuse in the name of race/class balance between the Horde and Alliance. Overused, it would lead to higher levels of homogenization - and I prefer that the Horde and Alliance have a distinct make-up between their client races.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it did. It works great for the Pandarens because I can't imagine all of them choosing one faction over another. It also gives the race an "above it all" feel. Like even though my Panda is Horde, I still feel more kinship with my fellow Pandarens, even if they're on the Alliance side.

I don't think it could work for the other races though.

Deleted
    I am a bit old school so I prefer the old way .. but overall yes I think pandaren were a great success.

It seems like they're a bit more well-received than I initially thought they'd be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't deny it was a success, since a lot of people liked them.
    I personally don't like Pandaren. Not because i don't think they're fitting, not because they are a neutral race, i just plain wouldn't play one.

I wish they could stop adding races now, and gives us more customization.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Pandaren but I would have to say their integration into WoW was pretty smooth. I think the bi-faction worked out fairly well also.

i see pandaren and monks all the time, they are and always have been my favorite race. so i think they are, i might be biased though
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Not on the popularity meter... sure there are some but most are monks. Compare that to the huge number of race changes with worgen or belves. I think that has a lot more to do with the implementation of pandaren as comical, tubby drunk and cutesy than anything though. The dual faction implementation worked sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Not on the popularity meter... sure there are some but most are monks. Compare that to the huge number of race changes with worgen or belves. I think that has a lot more to do with the implementation of pandaren as comical, tubby drunk and cutesy than anything though. The dual faction implementation worked sell.
    I actually see more pandaren warriors, priests and mages. Most of the monks I see are blood elves or tauren (mine is an orc).

Popularity wise I think they are a success. Lore wise I think the introduction to Horde could have been handled better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Every main Priest in my guild with the exception of one is a Pandaren.

Our Mages, Resto Shaman, several of the Hunters, I think one of the Rogues (may be wrong, tho)...I'm pretty sure if Paladins, Druids, and Warlocks could be Pandaren, several of ours would have race changed to be Pandaren. They're really popular on every server I've been on.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Well I still have trouble when meeting pandaren to figure out what side they are on(PvE server). But overall I think it fits the nature of the wandering pandaren that we get to play as.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

I liked it, and it worked, but there's a part of me that's very against bi-faction races. I would love to switch either an Orc or Undead or Night Elf, but I like the identity that comes with knowing what someone is and where they stand (in-game, of course) based on visual cues besides a nameplate. Not "Hey, an Orc, I wonder if I can go talk to him OMG nope better not flag myself".

The internal struggle with this is that I *love* player choice and, obviously, want more freedom in characters and races. Just not sure that bi-faction races are the best course of action, or one that should be repeated.

I have been seeing quite a bit of Pandaren monks but also priests and mages. The rest is a bit more divided and spread out. Plate wearing Pandaren seem rarer but of course I could have overlooked things. I myself have often been saying how much better Pandaren look in cloth than other types of armor; a personal taste though.

I say, with all things considered, that the Pandaren have been a success. My only wishes for it would be a more dignified language than 'Om nom nom' and how the Pandaren didn't suddenly lose a part of their intelligence by forgetting their own mother tongue when choosing a faction. For the rest... simply perfect. The doubt and confusion about which faction a Pandaren belongs too just shows how natural it is supposed to be. Sometimes you just can't tell which side someone is on by appearance alone (I could bring in Blood elves versus High Elves PvP for this, but I won't because... pandas!).

I give the 'bi-faction' two thumbs up, more if I had any to spare.

It was no more of a failure than it was a success. I mean, it wasn't really that big of a deal at all really.

It's a new race with more redundant racials, nothing more really. It's kind of hard to fail, unless they made a race that instantly dies at level 37, but as long as it functions the same as other races it's pretty much fine. I don't really see the bi-faction thing being of any importance, after level 10 you're on one faction anyway.

I think it was a success overall, though I'm disappointed in absolutely no involvement from the pandaren in their expansion (meaning Ji and Aysa).

The neutral angle was actually was I was expecting to be used for goblins before they were announced for Cataclysm.

lore aside (even though I think they have great lore and story presence) the faction neutral idea worked out well enough, even though I don't see how it could really fail. start a character and instead on starting out for a certain faction pick the one you want to go with. seems like a good idea that they should think of if they choose to introduce any more races.

Successful in what avenue? They addressed a lot of things;

They did very well in changing what gear the story was in, and Pandaria created a pretty good backdrop for the story.
    In creating a new, interesting, and relevant player character race? Only time will tell. I think they have a very strong chance of falling to the wayside like Draenei and Worgen.
    In being new and exciting playable character models? On the one hand, the models are some of the best WoW's ever seen. On the other, LOL WOMEN GOT ONE FACE
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    No.
    Armors doesn't fit aswell on pandas and makes them ridiculous.
    The fact that pandarens are accessible for both faction worked aswell though, but i don't want them to continue on that way.