Question Building a Comp for the first time.

How hard is it? What things should I know. I am good at taking apart and putting together pretty much anything, but when it comes to getting the Os running I get nervous.

Tips tricks and advice would be appreciated.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

It's not all that difficult, although it is time consuming for first time builders.

There are plenty of videos out there that teach you how to build (Newegg has an excellent series: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3), and our very own llDemonll put together a tutorial here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-in-9.75-Steps

Part 1 of the Newegg series is all about part selection, which we can help you out with in the subforum: http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...d-Upgrade-Help

SO I watched all those videos and decided to go ahead and do it, I do have a couple maybe silly questions. In the video when hooking things up he uses cables (duh) are those typically included, same goes for the heat goo do I need to account for these items in the purchase? I can afford to go with this months narwhal, I browse watch netflix play WoW, LotRO and some FPSs. Im assuming that set up will do that suitably going forward a few years upgradable thereafter.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...age=3#comments

10+ Year Old Account
    Most motherboards come with 2-4 sata cords, jist look thru the pics to see what all is included when ordering. newegg generally shows, in the final pic, everything that comes in the box. yes, you will want to order a tube of the heat sink/cpu paste. it is not included with any parts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twest View Post
    yes, you will want to order a tube of the heat sink/cpu paste. it is not included with any parts
    No, you do not. Not only does the CPU heatsink come with paste already on it, but pretty much any aftermarket heatsink will come with a tube as well. If you get the Thermaltake Frio (listed in Narwhal), it comes with it. Not sure why Twest suggested that.

newegg generally shows, in the final pic, everything that comes in the box.
    Amusingly, newegg clearly shows the thermal paste included. :P
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Almost everything only goes in the right way. Read the installation instructions of the CPU and other parts though.
    The "trickiest" part imo is wiring the chassis to the mainboard pins. RAM installation might need slight use of force too.

Oh and installing the OS can be done almost totally afk, just slap in the dvd/usbstick and boot.
    Last edited by Termak; 2013-04-11 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Termak View Post
    Oh and installing the OS can be done almost totally afk, just slap in the dvd/usbstick and boot.
    Yeh Ironically what I thought would be the hardest part looks now to be the easiest.

After watching the NewEgg vids I do want a power supply that is modular, can some one recommended one for me?
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2013-04-11 at 04:33 PM.

Deleted
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-04-11 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Those are 500 or 550 watts, the one listed in the build is 650, will those handle the power reqs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what your setup is mate. A single card should be more than fine, although the 7970 is quite power hungry. My setup pulls 500 watts under load, but it's not like your gonna go all out on overclocking like I do.
    For medium overclocking it should be more than fine.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Those are 500 or 550 watts, the one listed in the build is 650, will those handle the power reqs?
    For the Narwhal setup yes.

If you think you need more power or get a more power hungry GPU (overclock etc.) then you can change to one of these:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W
    SeaSonic M12II 620

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    For the Narwhal setup yes.

If you think you need more power or get a more power hungry GPU (overclock etc.) then you can change to one of these:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W
    SeaSonic M12II 620
    550W is more than adequate even for a fat 7970 Ghz overclock as long as its paired with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

650W is for SLI of 600 series cards and 750W is for CF of 7000 series cards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    550W is more than adequate even for a fat 7970 Ghz overclock as long as its paired with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

650W is for SLI of 600 series cards and 750W is for CF of 7000 series cards.
    I agree with this. The 500+ is fine for the Narwhal as I said.

Yeh all the overclock talk is over my head. Thanks for the answers guys