Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    What more do you want from a mmo RPG?
    This x1000. The genre is at its limit. Virtually every other blockbuster MMO has tried to evolve the genre in some way and yet WoW remains the king. When it goes, MMOs as we know them will fade with it unless another one can manage to evolve the genre from where we're at now before then.

I really don't think it'll happen. The RPG, and most of its purer variants, are now past their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Skyward Sword, as much as I dislike it, was a revolutionary entry into the Zelda franchise with the motion controls. It fully utilizes the technology of the Wii. Wind Waker brought a unique cel-shaded art style to the table and a huge, expansive world to explore that is still, to this day, considered pretty big.

Metroid Prime released 8 years after Super Metroid, and went in a completely unexpected direction as far as gameplay goes (people would have laughed at you if you said "Metroid 4 is going to be first person" back in the 90s), yet at the same time it remained true to the spirit of the franchise.

I don't think anyone wants WoW to change into something it isn't. However, it would serve Blizzard well to step slightly out of its safe zone once in a while when developing content for WoW. Furthermore, though MoP looks nice, the graphics of WoW could use a severe overhaul...they need to get those updated character models out as soon as possible, and work on updating basic enemy models at some point.
    I wouldn't call Skyward Sword "revolutionary"--at least not for the Zelda franchise (perhaps for the Wii itself, though). The motion controls were just a different control setup, similar to jumping from the N64 controller to the Gamecube controller. A larger jump, yes, but the fundamentals are the same. You attack with the sword, you use items, you roll/dodge/block attacks. Skyward Sword itself was very much a successor to Ocarina of Time and very similar to all of the other 3D-era Zelda games. Which is fine, because it's following the formula that makes Zelda games what they are.

The reason I'm not using the Metroid-to-Metroid-Prime or 2D-Zelda-to-3D-Zelda jumps is because they're massive jumps, as in completely new game jumps. WoW's expansions are never going to jump like that. It's simply ridiculous to expect anything on that scale, because expansions are just that: expansions. It's the same game, using the same engine, with some minor upgrades each time.

If we ever get a WoW 2 or Warcraft 4, a major jump like that could be reasonably expected.

What WoW needs IMO:

-Player Housing, Just make some excuse that the player's house is somewhere in the nether, or say it's a magical mini-house you can carry in your bag, like a retractable House-In-A-Box, goblin made. Using that item will just teleport you to an instanced house you can arrange..

-Guild Housing/Ship/Airship? (also situated in an unspecified place, in an instance.)

-Improved crafting systems that aren't as grindy and maybe have fast little fun minigames to them.

-NEW MODELS FOR F SAKE!

-Improved phasing, just go wild with it.

-Open PvP zone, like a combination of thoose in Outland and Wintergrasp (no ques for it, anyone can enter at anytime, even level 7's.), with fortresses wich could be destroyed, but then repaired by friendly players who gather resources around that zone to reinforce walls and build war machines (so that even players that are not good or are not well equipped to fight can help the war effort) This war zone should feature AA guns that kill any flying mount in the area. Maybe even make that zone a huge Cross-server zone, combining servers wich have big horde/alliance populations and making them fight eachother. (totally stole that from Guild wars!)

-Remove Wrist armor. Seriously, It's called GAUNTLETS, or long gloves! (cheese!)

-More Alliance shizz, seriously, im sick of horde development while alliance just sits there and watches (maybe losing a town or two in the process of horde story development)

-Scary, intimidating, active-trough-the-story, main villain. Deathwing, you flying over something, burning it, mate, its not enough. Sargeras, I'm looking up to you! I dont want to happily play trough half the expansion not knowing who the villain is, Mists of Pandaria.
    I want to get sabotaged, attacked, intimidated, in my every step trough the expansion, so when i finally kill the motherFer, i would be satisfied

All in 5 minutes of thinking.
    Last edited by Kazomir; 2013-04-03 at 07:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink22 View Post
    rogue "glory hole helm"

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    What WoW needs IMO:

-Player Housing, Just make some excuse that the player's house is somewhere in the nether, or say it's a magical mini-house you can carry in your bag, like a retractable House-In-A-Box, goblin made. Using that item will just teleport you to an instanced house you can arrange..

-Guild Housing/Ship/Airship? (also situated in an unspecified place, in an instance.)

-NEW MODELS FOR F SAKE!

-Scary, intimidating, active-trough-the-story, main villain. Deathwing, you flying over something, burning it, mate, its not enough. Sargeras, I'm looking up to you! I dont want to happily play trough half the expansion not knowing who the villain is, Mists of Pandaria.
    I want to get sabotaged, attacked, intimidated, in my every step trough the expansion, so when i finally kill the motherFer, i would be satisfied
    Player housing and guild housing are rather pointless when Blizzard have stated they want people out in the world. Besides, putting them in the game is just going to make them the new SW/Org for players. These are up there with the damn Dance Studio for me: pointless.

New models aren't really needed at all. Sure, it will be something nice too look at when making a new alt or the 3 seconds you see the character screen but really, that's the only time you're going to notice them.

The whole point of MoP was the lack of a main villain. It's exactly the same as Vanilla WoW in that regard.
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2013-04-03 at 07:38 PM.

Rarely updated...

Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Player housing and guild housing are rather pointless when Blizzard have stated they want people out in the world. Besides, putting them in the game is just going to make them the new SW/Org for players. These are up there with the damn Dance Studio for me: pointless.
    They've stated it, but they've done very little to actually incentivize it. If they wanted to distribute the population of players more evenly, they could stop centralizing all the major services into one city like SW and give -every- capital things like Reforging, Transmog, etc.

New models aren't really needed at all. Sure, it will be something nice too look at when making a new alt or the 3 seconds you see the character screen but really, that's the only time you're going to notice them.
    They are. Even the BC models are starting to look dated; and no, I notice it quite frequently out in the world.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Traask, while I agree with you as a whole, WoW is defining where the MMO genre is going. NO new MMO has attempted to drastically change/add things that WoW didn't already. Games like Vindictus and GW2 try and redo a lot of the formulaic things but to no avail really. Currently, if you're not WoW, you're not going anywhere.

I think the best thing you could do to bring back that feeling of wonder for the game is to quit for a very long time. Something like until the next expansion. I know you don't want to do that because you love the lore and the gameplay, but if you really want to feel like there's "more" in the game then that's the way to go about it.

Honestly, I feel like heroic scenarios hold A LOT of promise for changing up the status quo on dungeons AND it throws the whole trinity thing out the window too. So there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

The whole point of MoP was the lack of a main villain. It's exactly the same as Vanilla WoW in that regard.
    1.How do you expect an auction house, bank, transmog, trainer and all this stuff in your house? It's all just a cosmetic thing to pursue (like, buying or crafting furniture, or crafting and selling it, Furnishing, 5-th secondary proffesion FTW!) if you are in a que or something. ANd then show it off. IMO a better eneavour than WOWPokemon.

2. New models are sadly needed real fast. Look at pandaren emotions, now look at a human. It's just not pleasing to the eye.

3. Wich is booring, don't you think? Well, having a main villain in an expansion is also booring, if he does next to nothing and just waits in his raid instance to be killed.
    Even when you don't have a main villain, you should make the end one a mistery, and engaging one at least.

Blizzard turned the MMO genre around, especially when BC was released. Look at how many companies wanted a slice of the MMO pie since then? Tons. The problem is that the genre reached its peak and now it's gradually starting to fade. It's inevitable though as nothing lasts forever. Another thing is that Blizzard keeps changing their game. Why? Because they realize that after 8 years, you have to keep mixing it up. Some things have worked, others not so much, but you can't sit there and tell me that Blizzard doesn't and hasn't tried during its 8 years. Look at how many features and changes they've made. And remember, they will add even more. WoW is still amazing to me after the 7 years I've been playing and with all the other MMO's I've tried over these 7 years, nothing has come even close. Nothing.

Game is old. They can't change it up too much, or else it will no longer be the same game.

So, all you can expect from WoW is that it will be.....WoW. Expecting it to be something else seems a little much - imho.

Blizz has been doing a lot of things to change the game up without completely deviating from it being WoW. At its core, it needs to remain the same. I'm guessing that the OP is just at a point where he needs to take a break.

1.How do you expect an auction house, bank, transmog, trainer and all this stuff in your house? It's all just a cosmetic thing to pursue (like, buying or crafting furniture, or crafting and selling it, Furnishing, 5-th secondary proffesion FTW!) if you are in a que or something. ANd then show it off. IMO a better eneavour than WOWPokemon.

2. New models are sadly needed real fast. Look at pandaren emotions, now look at a human. It's just not pleasing to the eye.

3. Wich is booring, don't you think? Well, having a main villain in an expansion is also booring, if he does next to nothing and just waits in his raid instance to be killed.
    Even when you don't have a main villain, you should make the end one a mistery, and engaging one at least.
    1. The playerbase will complain so much that those things will all likely end up in the guild housing/hall. You know thats what will happen. And it's not WoWPokemon, it's Pet Battles. Degrading the name just needlessly degrades the feature simply because you don't like it. And quite honestly, a great many players enjoy pet battles. Some that even disliked the idea. A player house would be instanced and only the player would ever see it. You'd not get to show it off really. Unless you got some mates round to your house to look at your monitor. I'd much rather have pet battles tbh.

2. Do you honestly sit there zooming in on your toons and doing emotes at all to watch the models? I highly doubt it.

3. Honestly? It doesn't bother me either way really. We've known that Garrosh is going to be an expansion end boss since before we got MoP so most people have seen him as the main villain. And rightfully so I think considering what he's been up to.
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2013-04-03 at 08:09 PM.

Rarely updated...

Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Do you honestly sit there zooming in on your toons and doing emotes at all to watch the models? I highly doubt it.
    Funny you should mention that; yes, I do.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Funny you should mention that; yes, I do.
    Then I have to ask... why? You gain nothing from it and your toons are most likely covered with head gear, obviously you can remove it xD But seriously, what do you gain from sitting there watching your toon emote? Surely there is something better to be doing? If not, I fear you may need a break or a new game.

Rarely updated...

What I'd like changed in WoW now? Let's see:

1) Graphical update - not only better textures and models for vanilla/bc content, but also better optimalisation. Memory leaks are all over the place.
    2) Character customisation - right now we have only a few options to make a character feel "ours". New options, both physical and maybe some connected to the characters past. Some RPGs and MMOs have already done it.
    3) Alternate ways of completing tasks - questing and playing can't feel so repetitive. A chance to do quests in the same area, with the same faction, but from a totally different perspective would be awesome.
    4) Guild housing - said many times, but only as a major reward, after big struggle that would require every member to cooperate.
    5) More "special snowflake" rewards - something that would allow the players to feel awesome and show off if they wish. Back in BC/WotLK people looked with pride at raid geared players, now thats gone. Gear looking more awesome on heroic than on LFR would work great, same with PvP stuff.

1. The playerbase will complain so much that those things will all likely end up in the guild housing/hall. You know thats what will happen. And it's not WoWPokemon, it's Pet Battles. Degrading the name just needlessly degrades the feature simply because you don't like it. And quite honestly, a great many players enjoy pet battles. Some that even disliked the idea. A player house would be instanced and only the player would ever see it. You'd not get to show it off really. Unless you got some mates round to your house to look at your monitor. I'd much rather have pet battles tbh.

2. Do you honestly sit there zooming in on your toons and doing emotes at all to watch the models? I highly doubt it.

3. Honestly? It doesn't bother me either way really. We've known that Garrosh is going to be an expansion end boss since before we got MoP so most people have seen him as the main villain. And rightfully so I think considering what he's been up to.
    1. Why should they complain? If its not their thing, they simply could ignore it. Also, people complain about EVERYTHING. And i could bet my eyebrows that there will be less whining with player housing (a feature wanted by a lot of people since forever) than with Pet Battles(tm) (a feature nobody asked about, but wich was crammed in the game for no apparent reason anyway)

2.headgear can be hidden in the options, and i would rather play a well textured and animated human than a pixelated, 9 year old model with squares for eyes and a trangle for a mouth.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    What I'd like changed in WoW now? Let's see:

1) Graphical update - not only better textures and models for vanilla/bc content, but also better optimalisation. Memory leaks are all over the place.
    2) Character customisation - right now we have only a few options to make a character feel "ours". New options, both physical and maybe some connected to the characters past. Some RPGs and MMOs have already done it.
    3) Alternate ways of completing tasks - questing and playing can't feel so repetitive. A chance to do quests in the same area, with the same faction, but from a totally different perspective would be awesome.
    4) Guild housing - said many times, but only as a major reward, after big struggle that would require every member to cooperate.
    5) More "special snowflake" rewards - something that would allow the players to feel awesome and show off if they wish. Back in BC/WotLK people looked with pride at raid geared players, now thats gone. Gear looking more awesome on heroic than on LFR would work great, same with PvP stuff.
    5-Raid challenge modes? Sounds fun!
    rogue "glory hole helm"

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Maybe if they hurried up and introduced revamped character models, and gave something really quite special in the game that breaks from the usual flow, it could reinvigorate how the game feels.
    You keep saying that, but you still haven't given an example of a reasonable "break from the usual flow".

The problem is that the "usual flow" is WoW. You change it and you're no longer playing an MMORPG. If you don't like that flow, you should try a different genre.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

I am pretty positive that Blizzard will have a smaller team working on Wow after Titan is launched. Slowly WoW will decay and vanish in the shadow that Blizzard will force with titan.
    I start to think WoW is their cashcow.

Frostwolf clan is best clan!
    Tauren Shaman - Pandaren Monk - Orc Hunter - Troll Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    I am pretty positive that Blizzard will have a smaller team working on Wow after Titan is launched. Slowly WoW will decay and vanish in the shadow that Blizzard will force with titan.
    I start to think WoW is their cashcow.

Blizzard said tie and time again that Titan will be made NOT to compete with WoW.
    rogue "glory hole helm"

Blizzard said tie and time again that Titan will be made NOT to compete with WoW.
    they have to prove it. We won't know for sure, anything can change.
    Frostwolf clan is best clan!
    Tauren Shaman - Pandaren Monk - Orc Hunter - Troll Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I kind of have been, infact I've taken part in all new features.. they just don't feel new really.
    Maybe you are getting past this game? As you get older your view of life, and games, changes.

1. Why should they complain? If its not their thing, they simply could ignore it. Also, people complain about EVERYTHING. And i could bet my eyebrows that there will be less whining with player housing (a feature wanted by a lot of people since forever) than with Pet Battles(tm) (a feature nobody asked about, but wich was crammed in the game for no apparent reason anyway)

2.headgear can be hidden in the options, and i would rather play a well textured and animated human than a pixelated, 9 year old model with squares for eyes and a trangle for a mouth.
    1. You just said it yourself. People complain about everything. No matter what it is, people will complain. A lot of players feel that if it's in the game, they HAVE to do it. Even if they don't really fancy it, players will still make use of player/guild housing. MoP dailies would be the example I guess. You didn't need to do them to raid but people kept saying they did. You could raid perfectly well in blues.
    Players have been asking for something to do with their pets for years. So yes, it was asked for. And in no way was it "crammed in". It works well, has it's own UI and is popular enough that Blizzard keep adding new pets to catch.

2. As I said in a previous post, why would you stand around looking at your toon emote? You only see the back of their head while playing and you spend more time looking at the mob or boss or whatever it is while you're playing. You'll barely notice. Unless, for whatever reason, you do sod all in the game but zoom in on your toon and just go through the emotes then log off.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    they have to prove it. We won't know for sure, anything can change.
    They make FAR too much money from WoW to get rid of it. It makes zero sense to do so.
    People will be playing WoW for years to come.

Rarely updated...