Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    they have to prove it. We won't know for sure, anything can change.
    Cannibalizing your customer base doesn't make sense, so we can presume with near 100% certainty that Titan's design intent is to be mutually exclusive of WoW.

That doesn't mean WoW players won't gravitate towards a new Blizzard product, but I'm betting (as is Blizzard) that Titan will be such a break from conventional gaming that WoW players will become far less relevant to on going business decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Blizzard said tie and time again that Titan will be made NOT to compete with WoW.
    Blizzard owns WoW. Blizzard owns Titan. WoW is an MMO-RPG. Titan is an MMO-RPG. Aside from a newer game engine and some enhanced graphics, I would imagine this will be a grand scale world, based primarily in mythos and lore where you as a character have to represent your race/faction/government in an attempt to stop/destroy whatever is threatening your way of life.

Yeah, I would probably classify that as competition. Intended or not, Titan will cut into the WoW community. If it is successful, and has everything WoW "should" have had, it will be WoW's slow and silent killer. If it looks promising, yet fails to deliver like GW2, Rift, SWTOR, LOTRO, or any of the other wannabe's trying to snag some of the player base, then WoW lives on and Titan becomes F2P and slowly replaces D3 and Blizzard's all time worst game. Personally, I am hoping for the 1st one. I want that feeling of new and exciting again, that feeling that I have to log in and go questing (run missions, w/e) and explore (search out / recon / w/e). It is my hope that Titan will be what WoW was back in 2007 for me.

Yes.
    Every other patch a gigantic raid with tons of new content and lore, while the other patches have new content in the form of other stuff and stories combined with new features and new ways to entertain yourself is exactly what you can expect from WoW from here on.
    And that's a good thing.. Stop acting as if it's something bad.

If you want to play another game, play another game! Do not expect WoW to become another game, that's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    If we ever get a WoW 2 or Warcraft 4, a major jump like that could be reasonably expected.
    As we've obviously seen with the massive perspective and gameplay shifts in Diablo III and Starcraft II...

...oh wait... they didn't. They just went 3D poly but the actual gameplay and perspective was exactly the same - no radical game design shifts at all other than graphics.

Sorry to burst your bubble like that. :P
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

More of the same would be great, sez I. Long as they keep doing awesome new environments to play in, showcasing off different parts of the WoW universe.

Wouldn't mind a few more dungeons next go around, but that's pretty much my only complaint.

Stood in the Fire
    Since Wrath they have:
    Completely redone the leveling zones.
    Added LFR.
    Added pet battles.
    Remade the talent and glyph systems to focus them toward more situation and playstyle based choice and less "need to have this to function".
    Most classes have been redone to use secondary resource systems, procs, and ability synergy to create more complex rotation/prioritization.
    Archaeology is slightly different from any other type of profession.
    Scenarios.
    Farming.
    etc...

Like or hate the changes, the game we're playing now is full of things that didn't exist back then and I'd even say the playstyle for a lot of players differs from what it was during Wrath. For instance, some players who are raiding in LFR now probably never seriously thought they'd see raiding. People are leveling alts who never made a second character to 60 because the old zones were too disjointed and tedious.

The biggest change for me is that I love how much more complex my characters are than what they were "back in the day" when being a caster generally meant managing 1-2 debuffs and spamming a single cast ability over and over. I'm also a sucker for pet battles.
    Last edited by Crym; 2013-04-03 at 08:56 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    If WoW started with, say, Mists of Pandaria as its first expansion I don't think people would complain as much about its current state. Unfortunately with a game as old as WoW, it's inevitable that people look too much at what the original WoW was, and less at what the game is now and how its changed. Not to say people don't refer to the games current state like OP here , just that they compare it to the old game too much.

I've talked to new players saying they love the game as it is. The game is 8 years old, anyone playing a game that long will get burnt out or tired of it.

I feel like you are just expecting WoW to magically turn into a completely new game or experience after each expansion based on your post. What is WoW has been WoW will be WoW.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Its just that now, ever since wrath of the lich king, the game just feels like.. is this it?
    Having done die-hard raiding up to Naxx in vanilla, I had that feeling when I did the first raidbosses in Burning Crusade.

At some point you've seen enough of the game that nothing can surprise you anymore. Raidbosses can get slightly different tactics, but it's still basically the same shit, don't stand in this, stop dps at that, run there, etc etc. There isn't enough innovation to keep it interesting, but if they changed it up too much it wouldn't be WoW anymore. So it just comes down to yourself, once you get this feeling you've simply seen enough of the game.

The only thing that keeps changing and keeps things interesting is the lore. Even though I think some decisions were really awful, and the story is definitely not flawless by a long shot. But it keeps things interesting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    As we've obviously seen with the massive perspective and gameplay shifts in Diablo III and Starcraft II...

...oh wait... they didn't. They just went 3D poly but the actual gameplay and perspective was exactly the same - no radical game design shifts at all other than graphics.

Sorry to burst your bubble like that. :P
    I don't think it would happen, but it's the only time I think such a change could happen--a new game means a chance for a brand-new engine, and all of the possibilities that entails.

Although I also recently quit WoW I gotta say, that's what you do in MMOs, and GW2 isn't pvp focused...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I don't think it would happen, but it's the only time I think such a change could happen--a new game means a chance for a brand-new engine, and all of the possibilities that entails.
    I agree. I think Blizz understands their current server and system engine issues after almost 9 years and if they launch something new, they would want to make something so awesome, it would be like a big ole finger in the air to the haters who for years have been yelling about the issues in WoW, Diablo series, Starcraft series. This is their chance to tell all of those folks to kiss their ass cause this is the new and improved. Whether that would actually happen or not... maybe. They better be designing it with every other platform flaw in mind.

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    You would have loved Asheron's Call back in the day. I want all that too, along with decision and risk taking that leads to a better gaming experience.
    Totally miss Asheron's Call. My dad still plays it to this day, so it's still alive. I've gotten spoiled with todays graphics, so I doubt I could go back to it as it would feel very clunky.

However a new world, new story, new graphics, with the core gameplay and character progression of AC would be pretty freaking sweet.

I think OP, Blizzard is too scared to drastically change their game and tbh I dont blame them, they have a huge player base which they constantly hate to disappoint. If tomorrow Blizzard announced they were changing things upside down for the new expansion pack there would be complaints from here to high heaven of die hard fans who just want the same old expansion and WoW gameplay. On top of that why change something if it's still hugely successful? Only the players can make Blizzard change things by dropping out in large numbers and that doesn't seem to be happening.

If I was Blizzard I wouldn't try to create a new mmo IP with Titan, I would make World of Starcraft (or maybe Universe of Starcraft probably sounds better) and add an optional increase in subscription by 50% but let it include play time to both games. I think a Starcraft mmo setting would bring completely new aspects to mmo gameplay (it would have to as the current wow formula wouldn't work with it) which I think would please fans such as yourself but at the same time keep the same old formula for WoW which I severely doubt will change.
    Last edited by MaraStarfury; 2013-04-03 at 09:13 PM.

Such a perfect example of today's society. Instead of being content that you have a great game with all the positives it has, you chose to think about what else you should get. Self-entitlement at its finest. I know this might come across as inflammatory, but c'mon.

I don't really get the point of this thread. I don't feel like WoW hasn't changed since Wrath at all. It's gotten significantly better with a lot of features added to it and it's a much better game now because of it.

Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I agree. I think Blizz understands their current server and system engine issues after almost 9 years and if they launch something new, they would want to make something so awesome, it would be like a big ole finger in the air to the haters who for years have been yelling about the issues in WoW, Diablo series, Starcraft series. This is their chance to tell all of those folks to kiss their ass cause this is the new and improved. Whether that would actually happen or not... maybe. They better be designing it with every other platform flaw in mind.
    People forget that they already are making a new engine. They're making it for Titan. Smart people would produce that engine and back end infrastructure in such a way that World of Warcraft could eventually be ported/hooked into that. That's wholly speculative but if I were Morhaime that would be one of the primary design parameters for a new engine.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-04-03 at 09:25 PM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    People forget that they already are making a new engine. They're making it for Titan. Smart people would produce that engine and back end processing in such a way that World of Warcraft could be eventually hooked into that. Blizzard is full of smart people. That's wholly speculative but if I were Morhaime that would be one of the primary design parameters for a new engine.
    Makes sense to have an engine that you could eventually merge your other games into.

I understand OP's point, but really there's not much you or I or anyone can do about it other than OP.

1) he's the one comparing. Nothing short of dealing with it is going to change that. You have to take the games for what they are and either play them or not. Let the games stand on their own. If you don't like them, leave.

2) I understand the same-old-same-old arguement, but as OP said, he's tried the new, and doesn't like it, thus what else does he expect. I understand the also from a raid aspect. Regardless of how you look at it or what the name of the boss move/spell/etc... is, it's still just "don't stand in fire", "stack/spread/stack/spread", (and if you think about it, the whole spread/stack thing is still "don't stand in fire, just everyone standing in one place that doesn't have fire.)

although I am curious as to what OP is talking about the info available on Titan when there hasn't been any.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2013-04-03 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    If it looks promising, yet fails to deliver like GW2
    While you weren't looking GW2 went and became a smashing success. Currently every single US server has a Very High population and it's currently the 2nd most played MMO that xfire tracks.

Contrary to your belief, GW2 doesn't have to "snag some of the player base" from WoW in order to be successful (although I would say maybe 1/2 the people in my guild are ex-WoW players). Still there are players from Lineage, Aion, Swtor, Tera, etc. not to mention all the GW1 players plus who knows how many people that never even played an MMO before.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    While you weren't looking GW2 went and became a smashing success. Currently every single US server has a Very High population and it's currently the 2nd most played MMO that xfire tracks.

Contrary to your belief, GW2 doesn't have to "snag some of the player base" from WoW in order to be successful (although I would say maybe 1/2 the people in my guild are ex-WoW players). Still there are players from Lineage, Aion, Swtor, Tera, etc. not to mention all the GW1 players plus who knows how many people that never even played an MMO before.
    How many US servers does GW2 have? just curious.