Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    What more do you want from a mmo RPG?
    That's being incredibly lazy.

To the OP - I do agree but let's see what happens next expansion. Most people are burned out from the same expansion every time with small changes. If they shake things up, the game might have a longer lifespan yet. Otherwise, I still expect it to do ok but will continue downhill.

Hope it's around for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    You would have loved Asheron's Call back in the day. I want all that too, along with decision and risk taking that leads to a better gaming experience. But I digress.

Being an MMO developer is a tough spot. You invariably need a lot of income, since so many are very expensive to create, and require far more maintenance than a single player title. And to 'break the mold' for lack of a better term, and create something where the players themselves, through interaction and conflict, are responsible for a lot of the content, requires buy-in from the players themselves. In other words, the worlds most amazing sandbox will be awful if it's not populated... and that's no easy feat.

Which is probably why you see so few gameplay risks being taken, and far more of a 'single player experience wrapped in an MMO giftbox' stance being offered these days.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 01:53 PM ----------

I ask the same thing every time I see a post stating that leveling takes too long.
    And to which I say.................Enter Elder Scrolls Online for all that

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    just rumors and speculation, from apparently the gaming version of Deep Throat
    I hope he's not referring to that "titan" post a month ago... the one saying it's a roman/greek/viking inspired RPG with Jay Wilson on the team... that's been revealed as a fraud apparently.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    See above regarding Vanguard. I've not seen the diplomacy, player housing that actually creates the world's cities, weather patterns that persist through the world across zones and affect combat actually implemented in any MMOs.
    These are good ideas that could be expanded further. Did you think of these yourself?
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    These are good ideas that could be expanded further. Did you think of these yourself?
    no hes talkin about another MMO called Vanguard: https://www.vanguardthegame.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The first time around. The whole problem with this expansion is that it is ridiculously punitive towards alts.
    Nothing forces you to play alts.

WoW has always been WoW, they added Expansions, they didnt create a new game for every expansion, noone does...

Meaning of expansion (noun)
    form plural: expansions
    enlargement; increase; spread; development

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I kind of have been, infact I've taken part in all new features.. they just don't feel new really.
    Pet battles werent new?
    A single-player arena in an underground 'scene' is not new?

I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing.
    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

Imo, WoW is way better and has a lot more stuff to do than in any other expansion. Throne of thunder is a great example of why WoW is and will be alive for at least 5 more years.

Why is Throne of thunder a great example of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Pet battles werent new?
    A single-player arena in an underground 'scene' is not new?

I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing.
    I think he means that those features have been seen in other games before they were introduced in WoW.

High Overlord
    I think Cataclysm had the biggest revolution we're ever gonna see in WoW until there's a sequel. There's a saying that goes something like "Evolution, not revolution". Maybe it's just my Toyota "Lean" thinking that's playing tricks on me. Small steps are better than totally changing everything. People get confused, angry, gets their curls in uproar, and leave. That's probably not what Blizz wants right now.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I can get what Trassk’s trying to say; the game has essentially invested in content rather than systems, which means the community waits until Blizzard delivers the next patch. Yes, it’s always been that way; yes, it’s unlikely to change; yes, it’s what we expect.

But there is now more to the game than there ever was, yet it still feels… Disjointed.

Questing is totally different to dungeons.
    Dungeons are totally different to raids.
    Raids are totally different to battlegrounds.
    Battlegrounds are totally different to arena.
    Arena is totally different to scenarios.
    Scenarios are totally different to the Brawler’s Guild.
    The Brawler’s Guild is totally different to pet battles.
    Pet battles are totally different to professions.

For me, I liked the introduction of the achievement point system because it was a cool way of tracking how much investment had gone into a character. In fact, it was a really handy tool for looking at raiding applicants prior to MoP because you could tell whether or not you were looking at an alt. But the down side, for me, is that it’s introduced something of a “completionist” culture to the character investment I’m talking about. People do things to get them ticked off, rather than because they enjoy them, and I’m not sure that’s the design intent.

But moving back to content over systems for a second; content is consumed by players who then discard it. Systems are supposed to be self-generating. Imagine a profession system that had an impact on how you played the game rather than merely providing statistic boosts. Imagine “scenario gear” with set bonuses that allowed DK’s to heal others or shamans to tank rather than merely removing the need for such things. Imagine a PvP system that progressed into a campaign rather than stand-alone pitched battles. Imagine a game with multiple paths to power rather than there being only one.

Imagine WoW linked all of these disparate queues into one single experience.

I’m not sure such things will happen in WoW. I’m not sure such things will happen at all. Taking risks is difficult in the current space because design studios are focussed more on revenue than they’ve ever been; the Bobby Kotick’s of this world are taking their toll. And WoW, for all its successes, is potentially the worst thing to ever happen to the MMORPG genre because it single-handedly gutted innovation from other studios. Neither the game nor Blizzard are responsible for that, but it’s happened nonetheless (and explains why games like Rift and SW:TOR are essentially more of the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    Such a perfect example of today's society. Instead of being content that you have a great game with all the positives it has, you chose to think about what else you should get. Self-entitlement at its finest. I know this might come across as inflammatory, but c'mon.
    You don't know what self-entitlement really is, do you? If you think like that, then why should Blizz add anything new? People are content, so why bother adding anything? Patches? Forget em, people are content! No new content is needed cause people are content! Genius!
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink22 View Post
    rogue "glory hole helm"

Why is Throne of thunder a great example of that?
    Because Throne of thunder is one of the best raids since ulduar. Most of the boss fights have interesting mechanics and are quite challenging, 12 bosses with 1 extra only heroic mode boss, thoroughly crafted instance and really fun to progress in. If that is not a great example why WoW is going strong and the devs are putting great effort to this game, then I dont know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavaran View Post
    Because Throne of thunder is one of the best raids since ulduar. Most of the boss fights have interesting mechanics and are quite challenging, 12 bosses with 1 extra only heroic mode boss, thoroughly crafted instance and really fun to progress in. If that is not a great example why WoW is going strong and the devs are putting great effort to this game, then I dont know what is.
    Whether or not you can say "Throne of Thunder is one of the best raids since Ulduar" is up for debate; what's not up for debate is the obvious amount of care, attention, time, money and effort that's gone into designing the Throne of Thunder. I think that nicely aligns with what you're trying to say.

After Wrath the game went downhill.

Blizzard tried to cater the game to the hardcore special snowflake in Cata and now in MoP they are doing the same, but people tasted the good stuff in Wrath and wont accept this crap.

Blizzard had the perfect game in Wrath, they just needed to do a few tweaks to make raiding heroic modes harder in the early bosses and add LFR and they had the perfect game.

But they decided to cater to the special snowflakes. Cata tuning was a mess, and now they make raids hard tuned again.

Normal raid participation is dropping more than ever because of raid difficulty, not new dungeons gives no alternatives to people but to do raiding as the only group oriented activity and they make raiding hard, leaving a lot of people with no real options.

They are making so many mistakes...

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 09:06 AM ----------

Not even close.

Ulduar was great not because it was super hard, but because the difficulty was very well tuned. It started with some easy bosses, with the difficulty ramping up very sloghtly.

Razroscale wasnt really that much harder than Flame Leviathan, and Ignis after nerf (which came pretty quicly) wasnt either.

Throne of Thunder ramping up difficulty is a mess. Jin'rokh is fine as an entry boss, but Horridon is several times harder than Jin'rokh, and Council even more. The ramping up in difficulty is plain stupid.

Throne of Thunder is not even close to being like Ulduar.

and if you don't raid?

Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    That's being incredibly lazy.
    The only thing that is lazy is your reply.

Care to elaborate? What more do you want from a RPG?

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 12:42 PM ----------

and if you don't raid?
    pvp
    Dungeons
    Scenarios
    pet battels

To list some.

You're right, this isn't a WoW is dying thread! No, this is just another 'Titan is going to destroy WoW thread.'

All the elements in WoW are the exact same as you will see in Titan, and blizzard has stated several times that Titan is meant to be a game that does not compete with WoW, but simply caters to another audience. I don't understand why we need threads to discuss these things.