Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Expansion formula going forward is clear, looming at MoP and Cata.

Blizzcon - Expansion revealed, hyped, and many promises are made. Including faster content updates.

Beta - Everyone gushes at how fresh and new the content is compared to the old expansion.

x.0 - Everyone says WoW is saved, game sells millions of copies, subs jump overnight.

x.1 - No tier, but plenty of new features. The sparkle starts to fade as people realize it's still the same old WoW.

first quarter conference call - Subs back down. Players start panicking, devs sweat.

x.2 - Perfection of the expansion idea. Players start questioning how Blizz can top it. Crazy ideas run rampant.

second quarter conference call - subs steady or down, devs start panicking as expectations rise and subs fall.

x.3 - full panic patch. Tons of niche features added, Blizz starts hyping next expansion.

x.4 - Final raid. Smaller than before, easier, more bland. Lasts 7+ months, players leave in droves.

Return to the top.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I'll never understand why people expect WoW to suddenly be different every expansion.

When I picked up Twilight Princess, I expected it to follow the same formula as its predecessor, Wind Waker, and it did.
    When I picked up Metroid Prime 2, I expected it to play the same as Metroid Prime 1, and it did.
    When I picked up Pokemon White, I expected it to be an upgraded version of Pokemon Platinum, and it was.
    When I picked up Mists of Pandaria, I expected it to be like Cataclysm, and Wrath of the Lich King, and The Burning Crusade, and it was.

Why do people expect something that's not WoW when they play WoW?
    For some, WoW is life. When life doesn't change, it's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Ulduar was great not because it was super hard, but because the difficulty was very well tuned. It started with some easy bosses, with the difficulty ramping up very sloghtly.
    Your subjective opinion is just as valid as the one you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    1. The playerbase will complain so much that those things will all likely end up in the guild housing/hall. You know thats what will happen. And it's not WoWPokemon, it's Pet Battles. Degrading the name just needlessly degrades the feature simply because you don't like it. And quite honestly, a great many players enjoy pet battles. Some that even disliked the idea. A player house would be instanced and only the player would ever see it. You'd not get to show it off really. Unless you got some mates round to your house to look at your monitor. I'd much rather have pet battles tbh.

2. Do you honestly sit there zooming in on your toons and doing emotes at all to watch the models? I highly doubt it.

3. Honestly? It doesn't bother me either way really. We've known that Garrosh is going to be an expansion end boss since before we got MoP so most people have seen him as the main villain. And rightfully so I think considering what he's been up to.
    1. Its WoWPokemon...any attempt to dissuade yourself from that fact is self-indulgent twaddle...I find it fun, dont get me wrong, but its virtually a copy/paste of Pokemon. Im mixed on player housing, it would be neat...but then your guilds housing would become the new camp spot waiting for instances etc...
    2. Models would be nice..my vid card can support a tad more then it did in 2005.....
    3. A main themed boss gives the story/expansion an overarc tying the stories together. WE knew why we were going into Cata and Wrath dungeons..we knew who the bosses were, they made appearances to try and stop us. Now its "these people we just met and barely know are in trouble, so lets assume they are the good guys and go help them..."

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post

pvp
    Dungeons
    Scenarios
    pet battels

To list some.
    Those were added with the thunder patch?

pretty much.

All the really good ideas and innovative designs are getting funneled straight into their new MMO project and that is obviously the smart thing to do. It's irrefutable and you don't have to have insight into their company to understand that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    You can go from having a mansion, a loving wife on top of the world - and then loose everything, down to rags living in a sewer - no doubt you'll say "Good thing I'm living in this sewer, my life would be BORING otherwise!"

...that's kinda how I feel about Wrath of the Lich King going into Cataclysm. My solution? Find a different path. ^_^
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

If you dedicate your entire life to one activity, it will get boring. Doesn't matter if it's a game or a job or anything else. Breaks/diversions are necessary to maintain interest.

Smashing success? I played for 2 months, got bored and tired of 25% of the game just flat out not working. GW was a distraction at best.

The Lightbringer Edward Newgate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    Smashing success? I played for 2 months, got bored and tired of 25% of the game just flat out not working. GW was a distraction at best.

You're just an GW 2 fanboy, GW 2 has horrible end content, WoW Tops it on every aspect.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Im mixed on player housing, it would be neat...but then your guilds housing would become the new camp spot waiting for instances etc...
    Not if they painted it red and put big-ass wings on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, it is possible for people, many people actually, to not think very highly of World of Warcraft. Those self same people may even consider other games in the genre superior due to their own subjective qualifiers. Qualifiers which are just as valid as the subjective qualifiers of those whom believe World of Warcraft is a "23 out of 10".

Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    You're just an GW 2 fanboy, GW 2 has horrible end content, WoW Tops it on every aspect.
    Although I don't agree with you I don't think you know what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Those were added with the thunder patch?

I guess I didn't see anything in your post saying it was limited to that patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I guess I didn't see anything in your post saying it was limited to that patch.
    The conversation for that started earlier by someone stating that the thunder patch was what wow players are looking forward to in the future and that the game would be in good hands if that is so. I was just asking if you aren't a raider then what do those kinds of patches offer those players?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The conversation for that started earlier by someone stating that the thunder patch was what wow players are looking forward to in the future and that the game would be in good hands if that is so. I was just asking if you aren't a raider then what do those kinds of patches offer those players?

dailies...dailies...and more dailies? wouldnt be so bad if with each area you got new dailies...instead of like 3 in the new area and 15 of the same crap you've been doing for a month

Might be time to get a new life then!

---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 04:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Skyward Sword, as much as I dislike it, was a revolutionary entry into the Zelda franchise with the motion controls. It fully utilizes the technology of the Wii. Wind Waker brought a unique cel-shaded art style to the table and a huge, expansive world to explore that is still, to this day, considered pretty big.

Metroid Prime released 8 years after Super Metroid, and went in a completely unexpected direction as far as gameplay goes (people would have laughed at you if you said "Metroid 4 is going to be first person" back in the 90s), yet at the same time it remained true to the spirit of the franchise.

I don't think anyone wants WoW to change into something it isn't. However, it would serve Blizzard well to step slightly out of its safe zone once in a while when developing content for WoW. Furthermore, though MoP looks nice, the graphics of WoW could use a severe overhaul...they need to get those updated character models out as soon as possible, and work on updating basic enemy models at some point.
    They do need to step outside their comfort zone, sure. I think they did to some extent in each expansion, the exact right degree of innovation is an art rather than a science of course. In some ways I think they need to shake up the model more next expansion, in others I hope they don't go too far...

But all you're talking about here are graphics... that's not the thing that really matters. Model updates are in the pipeline, and every new zone is more graphically advanced than the last. We're all wearing massive armour over most of that old model anyway, and the armor is more and more detailed. I really don't think the graphics are a major concern. An MMO is not an FPS, if anything it's better to have lower end graphics.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-04-05 at 04:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Though I'm not unhappy with WoW's state, I do agree that Blizzard has probably maxed the game out in terms of what it can do at this point. Sure, they add new content and gameplay elements (transmog, reforging and stuff like that), but I feel that in terms of actual gameplay that Blizzard has finally reached the limit on what they can do in this engine. They've updated the graphics a crapload, high res textures and stylish models (I love WoW's graphics, though they obviously can still do some more in this department, they've pretty much shown their hand on what the game is *capable* of doing). They've added flying mounts, vehicular play, revamped the old world, PHASING (which they were tentative with in Wrath, but at this point they've definitely shown off what it can do).

I mean, they've made the game great, they've definitely got WoW figured out in terms of filling nearly every facet of MMORPG game play at this point. But, you can really tell that Blizz's pushing the engine's capabilities with some of the stuff they try to do in terms of game play and presentation. There's pretty much nothing in terms if game physics, and things like pet AI are seriously dated. You can feel the amount of work they've put into squeezing as much as they possibly can out of this game, but the limit had to be somewhere when we're working with technology nearly a decade old.

Edit: So yeah, this is probably just about the limit of what you can expect from this game. That's not to say there isn't plenty of awesome content for them to still release (they've shown that they still know how to make some great raid encounters), just that there aren't going to be many big new developments in what they can actually do with the game.
    Last edited by RabidHexley; 2013-04-05 at 04:56 AM.

WoW has always been nothing but numbers, Trassk. Numbers with pictures

Put numbers assigned to objects on your character to do higher numbers to subtract numbers from a different object with numbers assigned to it. Use #SPELL_ANIMATION_5! to do X numbers to other numbers

Collect numbers from farm to sell numbers for more numbers to buy different numbers.

Patch Notes: "We reduced numbers by 5% as numbers were too high"

One day it dawned on me that WoW is really just a big math assignment with pretty pictures, since all I wanted from WoW was the social aspect, I've found that MMO-C provides that, is free, and isn't numbers.

Maybe if WoW provided things that WERENT about numbers, like say, a dance studio, or new race models, it'd keep me interested, but a new raid is just a number, with 9-digit numbers that look like monsters. Numbers pop up on the screen as you click a mouse, everyone only cares about numbers that their character does and nothing more. NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS. Achievement points, number of mounts, percentage of reputation bar filled, arena rating number, profession-skill number. WoW is NOTHING but a game of numbers with 3D graphics.

---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 05:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Expansion formula going forward is clear, looming at MoP and Cata.

Blizzcon - Expansion revealed, hyped, and many promises are made. Including faster content updates.

Beta - Everyone gushes at how fresh and new the content is compared to the old expansion.

x.0 - Everyone says WoW is saved, game sells millions of copies, subs jump overnight.

x.1 - No tier, but plenty of new features. The sparkle starts to fade as people realize it's still the same old WoW.

first quarter conference call - Subs back down. Players start panicking, devs sweat.

x.2 - Perfection of the expansion idea. Players start questioning how Blizz can top it. Crazy ideas run rampant.

second quarter conference call - subs steady or down, devs start panicking as expectations rise and subs fall.

x.3 - full panic patch. Tons of niche features added, Blizz starts hyping next expansion.

x.4 - Final raid. Smaller than before, easier, more bland. Lasts 7+ months, players leave in droves.

Return to the top.
    When Blizzard does things like Transmog, I get hope for the game. Storyline and lore is the only reason I still give a damn anymore. I do X number of things so gear number rises to fight monsters with higher numbers than before. Why? Why is everything about Blizzard addition and subtraction homework? Is this really what people expect from the MMORPG genre? Just raise a number to do more numbers to subtract numbers faster? Whats your reward? higher numbers? Who cares if they make it look pretty, my old teachers could of written out my homework on a piece of golden paper with diamond font, and it'd still just be a boring homework assignment.
    Proud defender of Animal Rights, vegetarian, donor + volunteer
    "It is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done" - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    WoW has always been nothing but numbers, Trassk. Numbers with pictures

Put numbers assigned to objects on your character to do higher numbers to subtract numbers from a different object with numbers assigned to it. Use #SPELL_ANIMATION_5! to do X numbers to other numbers

Collect numbers from farm to sell numbers for more numbers to buy different numbers.

Patch Notes: "We reduced numbers by 5% as numbers were too high"

One day it dawned on me that WoW is really just a big math assignment with pretty pictures, since all I wanted from WoW was the social aspect, I've found that MMO-C provides that, is free, and isn't numbers.
    Heh, WoW nihilism. Sure, we could all be reduced to a bunch of featureless blocks subtracting numbers from one another, but I can still enjoy it, that's just the nature of a game like this and one of the reasons people enjoy it. In terms of just numbers most games can be reduced to them, it's just that the numbers in WoW (and other games of this type) are transparent and an integral part of the player experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    I don't think you know what he meant and probably went on a random spree to defend something that didn't need to be defended.

Funnily enough Guild Wars 2 have topped many things World of Warcraft have yet to top.
    Last edited by Klavier Gavin; 2013-04-05 at 08:15 AM.