Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    I don't give a damn how buggy it was, I want flame orb back .
    Seeing as how Frost Orb is in the game, it seems really odd and out of place that they didn't keep flame orb. Orbs are cool. Plus they are only buggy with bosses that have ledges.

    I wouldn't mind the L75 tier replaced with an Orb tier. Or with something like what the priest L90 talents have (cascade v. halo v. divine star).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    What's the deal with phoenix pet anyway?
    What phoenix pet are you referring to?

  2. #202
    Frost Orb has an effect on Frost's rotation besides "does some damage when cast"
    Flame Orb didn't, and in fact before it was fixed to not proc ignite actually actively lowered the damage your ignite did

  3. #203
    Brewmaster Methusula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Frost Orb has an effect on Frost's rotation besides "does some damage when cast"
    Flame Orb didn't, and in fact before it was fixed to not proc ignite actually actively lowered the damage your ignite did
    That could very easily be changed.

    Make Flame Orb proc Heating Up. If Heating Up buff is present, promote it to Hot Streak. Flame Orb cannot give procs against frozen targets.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Frost Orb has an effect on Frost's rotation besides "does some damage when cast"
    Flame Orb didn't, and in fact before it was fixed to not proc ignite actually actively lowered the damage your ignite did
    I'm trying to remember if frostfire orb did that in Cataclysm. I don't recall if it did or didn't. If it didn't, well then we have a good example of taking an ability and improving it (or at least changing it to interact with the rotation).

  5. #205
    It did do that in Cataclysm

  6. #206
    Brewmaster Methusula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,310
    They could also go in a completely different direction and make Flame Orb a nice cleave Cd.

    Launch a Flame Orb that moves straight ahead. While Flame Orb is traveling, the Mage can cast Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Scorch, and Pyroblast at the orb. Every spell that hits the orb hits all additional targets within 10 yards. They can balance it however they see fit.

  7. #207
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,717
    Giving Flame Orb back to Fire seems pretty nice. Now it'd be nice if there was an Arcane version of it >_>
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  8. #208
    On one hand yeah, I did like Flame Orb. It looked nice, and while it was about as basic a "just push this every time you can, look at the numbers!" spell as there is I don't think that's a problem in a spec like Fire that otherwise only has about two buttons to push.
    On the other... Do we really want to steer back towards "a different coloured version of every spell for every spec" ? I thought living bomb's treatment in that regard was generally poorly received, I don't know why we'd want to do it again but for a much buggier mechanic.

    Frost Orb was kept over Flame Orb because they were introduced at the same time, but only one was rotationally interesting. Let's therefore keep that spell, and not make mechanically similar versions with different effects for other specs.

    Fire needs more spells to cast certainly, but I don't think we should return Flame Orb, or at least not in its Cataclysm state.
    Make it a stationary orb that you place on the ground which pulses for AOE fire damage every time you cast a single target spell (or explodes for a fraction of the damage you did during its duration). Make it slowly descend on your target or a target area, dealing damage and knockback when it reaches the ground. Don't just make it a spell that runs forwards shooting a straight line and getting stuck on invisible cracks in the floor.

  9. #209
    I understand that you were being vague and probably using a little hyperbole on purpose, but I feel like this as a notion that we need to squash.
    Fireball
    Pyroblast
    Fireblast
    Scorch (when moving)
    Living bomb
    Combustion
    Evocate/RoP
    Presence of Mind
    Alter Time

    2 =/= 9

    Even if you use a PoM/AT/combustion macro that's still seven buttons. Possibly 8 if the fire mage uses Temporal shield or ice barrier. Then there's counter spell, invis, the situation stuff plus whatever AOE abilities they're trying to use (If they even bother).

    So I'm not so sure that the argument, "Fire needs more buttons," is a given.
    Let Reason Prevail

  10. #210
    You have correctly identified my hyperbole, of course Fire does not literally press three buttons.

    But your basic rotation boils down to "keep casting Fireball, cast Fireball in between every spell, you don't even want to chain Pyroblasts without casting a Fireball unless you are about to use Combustion" and that really quickly becomes monotonous. (Replace Fireball with Scorch when moving. You know when to use Fire Blast I don't need to tell you). Your other damage dealing abilities are on a 1.5 minute cooldown at shortest and are used solely to set up Combustion.

    It's... kind of repetitive? To say the least.
    It's not quite so bad that it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up but adding in a button that you weave in occasionally and that doesn't need to be lined up with Combustion would be nice.

    I mean my suggestions there were chiefly for AOE spells anyway not rotational ones. Mage AOE in general is just complete trash from a gameplay and fun perspective across all three specs when you look at some other classes, apart from Inferno Blast dot spreading, but that's a separate issue.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2013-08-25 at 05:39 AM.

  11. #211
    Bloodsail Admiral Nathyiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,168
    On the Frozen Orb versus Fire Orb debate.
    It's interesting to see that Frozen orb is more inspired by the Diablo II spell then the cataclysm spell.

    FO is an AOE spell. I think it was here to give some burst to AOE as Frost. And it work good.

    Why Arcane and Fire want the spell back ? Simply because it was new and fun mechanism.
    So my question: instead of having another shared ability, what about a new fun spec base ability. In fact, re-implementing the old Flame orb from cataclysm after a patch of leave would be strange. In fact think New !!

    Another possibility, change some AOE spell as Talent.
    They can make Flame Strike(or Blast Wave) versus Frozen Orb versus Mana Bomb (Frost bomb renamed Mana for thematic purpose).

    There's a lot of possibility but please stop the discussion about Arcane versus Fire versus Frost, I want this back and why X spec keep this and us not ?
    They all old and cold. Just leave them 6 feet under.
    The answers is 42
    -------------------------
    Nathyiel, TempteÐ (sargeras-EU) - @Nathyiel

  12. #212
    Imnick welcome to WoW, you basically just described most rotations in game..

    and on the fire orb discussion. PLEASE NO. that spell was so bugged and useless.

  13. #213
    Most rotations reward you when they get procs, they don't say "nah you still have to cast your filler you can't just keep doing this, even when it's procced thrice in a row".
    I mean I don't think that element was intentional but it's kind of lame.

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    What phoenix pet are you referring to?
    I mean, it seems like it's some kind of the most forbidden idea on these forums:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21607506
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21608898
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20716233
    I recall I've seen that idea being treated like that in other threads but doubt I'd find it now. I'm just wondering why is it, not sure if I'd want such pet myself.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Most rotations reward you when they get procs, they don't say "nah you still have to cast your filler you can't just keep doing this, even when it's procced thrice in a row".
    I mean I don't think that element was intentional but it's kind of lame.
    Many things change in rotation when we get procs, often we wait for them to start doing our shit as well.. I don't agree with your argument.

  16. #216
    Bloodsail Admiral Saegno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, Ks
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    Imnick welcome to WoW, you basically just described most rotations in game..

    and on the fire orb discussion. PLEASE NO. that spell was so bugged and useless.
    Yes it was buggy at times and one more then one occasion it was useless, but it was a fun spell and I enjoyed it.

    On another note, Arcane missiles being channel-able while moving but at a 20% speed reduction. All other Arcane spells require you to stand still.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

  17. #217
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    JVM
    Posts
    52
    I feel this is the proper place to ask this: so how much of a change do you guys think Mages will recieve for the upcoming expansion? I'm looking to get back on my Mage, because I love the class, Warlock isn't really my cup of tea, but hell they have SOOO much things going for them, it's not even funny. I want my favorite class to receive some very much needed visual and mechanic changes as well. How can this be achieved? Official forums, doubtful. Twitter? Consolidated list of the best ideas from this thread, spread everywhere prior the next expansion release? How can I as an average player contribute to the goal of improving our class?

  18. #218
    Bloodsail Admiral Nathyiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,168
    How much? I see 2 possibility:
    1- only one change but very big
    2- a lot of very small change

    mouhahahahahaha

    - - - Updated - - -

    How can we know what will be done in 6.0?
    We're still in the Hotfixe phase of the last patch ...
    The answers is 42
    -------------------------
    Nathyiel, TempteÐ (sargeras-EU) - @Nathyiel

  19. #219
    General question: Can you Ice Block 'Set to Blow' on spoils? If so, do you do it at the start and lose the debuff entirely? Or do you just wait until it's going to expire and Ice Block the explosion outside of the raid?

    I'm sure I saw a Hunter Deterrence the damage from it, but I'm not 100% sure.

  20. #220
    Dreadlord Spellweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by winst View Post
    General question: Can you Ice Block 'Set to Blow' on spoils? If so, do you do it at the start and lose the debuff entirely? Or do you just wait until it's going to expire and Ice Block the explosion outside of the raid?

    I'm sure I saw a Hunter Deterrence the damage from it, but I'm not 100% sure.
    You'll have to wait until it's about to expire and iceblock outside the raid, as iceblocking doesn't remove the debuff.

    WoW: Zebrin | TERA: Rintha | GW2: Nezira Cinderclaw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •