Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Retired cop assaults cyclist on video, gets community service

It's hard to possibly do this justice: http://dcist.com/2013/04/driver_caug...itting_cyc.php

I lose a bit more faith in our judicial system once again. Deliberately striking someone with a vehicle isn't materially different from assault with any other deadly weapon, but it's treated like it's no big deal in this and other cases. Why? Bias against cyclists? Corruption in favor of police? I'm not clear why, but I'm disgusted by it. I can't see any good argument for this individual to still have the privilege to drive.

edit - 1:08 is where the relevant action is.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2013-04-03 at 10:20 PM.

my god do helmet cam videos suck. if it was anything but a retired cop id blame it on ignorance of the law regarding cyclists on the road... but then id consider it common sense that intentionally hitting someone with your car is a no-no. i dont even know what to think... how is the dude not in jail?!? it's not like it was accidental, what with the driver jawing at the cyclist before hitting him. i hope the cyclists files a civil suit, he has a guaranteed win here
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Case of two people being stupid. Laws are clear for cyclists that they need to be in the far right lane whenever possible unless to pass. After he passed the parked vehicles he should have moved over unless he was cycling at a speed equal to the traffic. Truck driver is a dick or just a bad driver, likely both. But the cyclist was ignorant of the law.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

You know...i've watched and re watched it a dozen times and i can't see any deliberate hit on the cyclist, as far as i can tell the driver was keeping in a straight line and the cyclist moved closer to the truck to try hear what he said and clipped the back of him

Deleted
    Case of two people being stupid. Laws are clear for cyclists that they need to be in the far right lane whenever possible unless to pass. After he passed the parked vehicles he should have moved over unless he was cycling at a speed equal to the traffic. Truck driver is a dick or just a bad driver, likely both. But the cyclist was ignorant of the law.
    They were still alongside the parked cars when the truck driver popped up, jus' sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCAPLS0CK View Post
    They were still alongside the parked cars when the truck driver popped up, jus' sayin'.
    He had just passed the vehicles, he was also in the middle of the lane at that time, he also made no attempt previous to the incident to move to the right. Regardless of vehicles parked or not. Jus' sayin'.

As I said though, they're both idiots.

I cant stand bike riders who use the middle of the road. GJ officer.

1. You're making up this 'bias' for police officers. The courts aren't run by cops, they're run by lawyers, why would there be any preferential treatment?
    2. Neither one was exactly innocent, not like he drove to this guy's house and punched him in the face while he slept.
    3. Plenty of accidents, minor traffic violations, and minor crimes are punished with community service, not just 'biased ones against cops'.

Non-issue being played up as an oh-so-shocking scandal when it isn't. Next.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafffles View Post
    Non-issue being played up as an oh-so-shocking scandal when it isn't. Next.
    So, something that's basically assault with a deadly weapon is now a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    So, something that's basically assault with a deadly weapon is now a non-issue.
    You can't determine intent from the video. Could have very easily been accidental.

No, you're ignorant of cycling. In a context where the rightmost lane is being used for parking, weaving in and out is vastly more dangerous for everyone involved. Even if you were right (and you're not even in the ballpark of right), it's not at all a valid excuse to assault someone. Your false equivalence is bullshit.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I cant stand bike riders who use the middle of the road. GJ officer.
    Advocating shattering people's bones because you don't like their behavior says a lot about you! Congrats on being an awful person!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, you're ignorant of cycling. In a context where the rightmost lane is being used for parking, weaving in and out is vastly more dangerous for everyone involved. Even if you were right (and you're not even in the ballpark of right), it's not at all a valid excuse to assault someone. Your false equivalence is bullshit.
    Might wanna go read the WABA guide on cycling laws then for DC/WV/Maryland. Cyclist was still in the middle of the goddamn lane, not on the right of it. You still cannot determine intent from the video.

You can't determine intent from the video. Could have very easily been accidental.
    If you honestly believe weaving into another lane when you're well aware someone's there could be a total accident, you shouldn't have a license.

well, id say slowing down to yell at somebody before hitting them is a pretty good indicator of intent, as such things go
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

1. You're making up this 'bias' for police officers.
    Not at all, there's dozens and dozens of examples that are trivially easy to find.

2. Neither one was exactly innocent, not like he drove to this guy's house and punched him in the face while he slept.
    I'd much rather someone drive to my house and punch me in the face than strike me with a truck when I'm going ~20 MPH on a bike.

3. Plenty of accidents, minor traffic violations, and minor crimes are punished with community service, not just 'biased ones against cops'.
    You have got to be shitting me.

If you honestly believe weaving into another lane when you're well aware someone's there could be a total accident, you shouldn't have a license.
    The only "weaving" is the cyclist who can't ride straight or in the correct lane. Your seething cop hatred is showing.

PS. since you likely still haven't bothered

Ride with the flow of traffic on the right half of the roadway.
    Ergo, not in the middle of the middle lane.

So I'll say it again, they're both stupid.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-04-03 at 11:38 PM.

Your seething cop hatred is showing.
    Actually, my seething hatred of horrible people that try to hurt other people for absolutely no reason is showing.

Actually, my seething hatred of fuckfaces that try to hurt other people for absolutely no reason is showing.
    Go blog about it.

Infracted for minor spam.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2013-04-04 at 08:43 AM.

The only "weaving" is the cyclist who can't ride straight or in the correct lane. Your seething cop hatred is showing.

PS. since you likely still haven't bothered

Ergo, not in the middle of the middle lane.
    Based on the location of the truck drivers tires before the collision, the position of the helmet cam, and everything else in the vid, the guy riding the bicycle was not in the center of the lane. And, as multiple people have pointed out, the right lane had several cars parked in it just prior to the collision.

Also, the truck driver was absolutely not driving in a straight line.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Based on the location of the truck drivers tires before the collision, the position of the helmet cam, and everything else in the vid, the guy riding the bicycle was not in the center of the lane. And, as multiple people have pointed out, the right lane had several cars parked in it just prior to the collision.

Also, the truck driver was absolutely not driving in a straight line.
    If you can't see he was in the center prior to the colission and even drifting left just before impact, then I guess we're done here. fuckin cyclists take liberties like this all the time and cry foul when something happens to them. It's pretty ridiculous. Use the bike lanes when available, follow the rules of the road (not just when convenient), don't make my commute more difficult because you think you're special.