Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    No more Steelseries Xai for me, had 2 and both now have broken switches. Xai has one of the most comfortable shapes for me though.

Currently using a Razer Deathadder 3.5G and it's ok, settings aren't saved on the mouse like they were on the Xai so it's a bit meh. Razer mouse settings are stored online through a program and you can get them if you have a connection.

Edit: Forgot to mention, first Xai held 2 weeks(!) and the second 3-4 months and I used them 5-9 h / day.

Deleted
    I am with "asb" on this one. Stick with what you have, if you feel it is the best for you.

I have had the same Logitech MX518 for something like 7 years now. It remains the best mouse I have ever used, no matter any other computer and mouse I have ever tried.

• Perfect size for claw grip
    • High linear response limit, second only to the hardcore FPS standard set by the old Microsoft optical LED mice
    • Malfunction speed beyond human limits
    • 5-button mouse - the minimum I think for anything other than dedicated FPS players
    • Customizable DPS switch - not necessary, but useful if you play with a wide range of games and use your mouse outside of games. It is also not a gimmik DPI, with a maximum of 1600dpi.
    • Excellent default mice feet. Not necessary to upgrade the stock feet
    • Quiet and smooth mouse wheel
    • Durability - best of all, every component of the mouse oozes durability, including the mouse cord, connector, feet, buttons and the flush cord entry hole into the mouse.

There are not many mice that are better than the MX518 in even a single aspect, let alone a single significant aspect.

The G400 maybe sold as an MX518 upgrade, but it has lower durability, especially its cord, as well as a completely different (many would say reduced) grip. The main benefit to it is the ability to increase the polling rate, but this is a very minor upgrade (1ms instead of 8ms input lag) for all but the most hardcore FPS guys in LAN parties and perfect setups, who would be using other mice instead with extreme linear response limits too. Note that increasing polling rate can be bad for your whole PC's performance or even stability (as CM Storm Spawn mice users found out the hard way). The G400 does have angle snapping disabled though - so if you are used to this or looking for a competitive edge in FPS, then that may be the real reason to get it over the MX518.

The G5 may have a ton of features and a very nice mouse cable, but its about as far away from the MX518 in performance as it is possible to be. It has much poorer linear response limit and a low malfunction speed. These are almost certainly artifacts of its laser rather than LED sensor.

The old MX500, with an even higher linear response limit when overclocked, is much less suitable for claw grip unless you have (very) big hands.

Mice with higher DPI are just gimmiky unless you use enormous monitor resolutions for gaming (significantly larger than 1920x1080).

Mice with more buttons suit some people, but most games do not benefit from such huge mappings. Also, you can get more far more mappings by using keyboard+mouse button combos, especially with the modifier (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc.) buttons.

Mice with higher linear response limit than the MX518 are rare and tend to be ancient, plus unless you are an FPS guy, you almost certainly won't notice the difference at all even if you use one.

Even better mouse feet? Yes, there are mice with better feet, even Logitech's G5, but you can separately upgrade or coat mouse feet for a few dollars with any mice. No need to compromise your mouse selection for that.

So, I've long found my perfect mouse, which is still sold to this day, even with all the other mice sold since, including from Logitech! If something happened to my MX518, I'd just buy another.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-05 at 11:35 PM.

My brother is using the Roccat Kone. I'd say it is quite comfortable, and he has it for a while already (I think).

I would prefer a Logitech G600 myself, and think it lies very comfortably in my hand. A good size aswell, my hands are fairly big so it's hard to find a mouse that's comfortable in my hand. With the Naga for example, I easily got cramps in my hand.

Friend of mine uses the "Cyborg" mice. And he sold his soul to that brand. But I think they're more about looking cool and high-tech then being comfortable and useful.

Not sure what else for advice I can give. Hope you will manage to figure it all out!

Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    My brother is using the Roccat Kone. I'd say it is quite comfortable, and he has it for a while already (I think).

I would prefer a Logitech G600 myself, and think it lies very comfortably in my hand. A good size aswell, my hands are fairly big so it's hard to find a mouse that's comfortable in my hand. With the Naga for example, I easily got cramps in my hand.

Friend of mine uses the "Cyborg" mice. And he sold his soul to that brand. But I think they're more about looking cool and high-tech then being comfortable and useful.

Not sure what else for advice I can give. Hope you will manage to figure it all out!

I'm 6'8 and have one of the biggest hands ever, and I have never had a problem with my naga giving me cramps.
    You probably have issues with bad hand posture.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do not get a Roccat Kone. They are the worst in terms of reliability. Very common problem is the wheel.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I'm 6'8 and have one of the biggest hands ever, and I have never had a problem with my naga giving me cramps.
    You probably have issues with bad hand posture.
    I'm about the same height. And my hands are realy huge aswell. And I don't think it's about my placement. I only had that certain problem with a Naga. Like I said, "I easily got cramps". Doesn't mean everyone else has it aswell. I'm just giving my opinion and feedback.

---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 07:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Do not get a Roccat Kone. They are the worst in terms of reliability. Very common problem is the wheel.
    Nothing wrong with the one my brother is using. And I even heard the same thing about the Naga (which also happend to me eventualy).

Nothing wrong with the one my brother is using. And I even heard the same thing about the Naga (which also happend to me eventualy).
    And that's nice it didn't break for you, but you're hardly a big sample pool.

+1 for the Zowie AM. It doesn't give you all the flashy lights and buttons like the others but, what it does give you is real performance. I could never really tell the differences between a cheap mouse and the pricey gaming mice that I've owned before. With the Zowie AM I could tell the difference straight away. Also, no terrible software or drivers to deal with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    +1 for the Zowie AM. It doesn't give you all the flashy lights and buttons like the others but, what it does give you is real performance. I could never really tell the differences between a cheap mouse and the pricey gaming mice that I've owned before. With the Zowie AM I could tell the difference straight away. Also, no terrible software or drivers to deal with.
    Nice looking mouse and sensor. Shame the dpi switch is on the bottom and not all the buttons can be used at the same time though.

Go with G600. It's beast, and even for non-MMO, more keys helps a lot (example, generic gaming profile, you hold your g-shift key to turn dpi down, extremely good for sniping etc.). Also, even if it breaks (not as common as Razer) they send you new one for free without sending your broken product.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    And that's nice it didn't break for you, but you're hardly a big sample pool.
    You're making it seem like I shouldn't give my opinion?

Fine if for others it didn't work out that well, but OP is asking for advice, and I'm giving mine from personal experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're making it seem like I shouldn't give my opinion?

Fine if for others it didn't work out that well, but OP is asking for advice, and I'm giving mine from personal experience.
    Consider yourself lucky. I work (now since about 4 years) in a computer store and i can tell you this: I have replaced more broken Roccat Kone than we actually sold in that particular shop. The record i think is 3 times for the same customer inside one year (at this point he finally listened to our advice and switched to Logitech).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. I work (now since about 4 years) in a computer store and i can tell you this: I have replaced more broken Roccat Kone than we actually sold in that particular shop. The record i think is 3 times for the same customer inside one year (at this point he finally listened to our advice and switched to Logitech).
    It's fun there are so many bad peripherals out there? How do these companies even survive, I don't get it tbh. I hate to be all nostalgic and stuff but I do wish they would make quality peripherals like they did in the good, old days when everything needed to be beaten with a hammer and sawn to pieces for it to stop working. So much crap today and people keep getting fooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    It's fun there are so many bad peripherals out there? How do these companies even survive, I don't get it tbh. I hate to be all nostalgic and stuff but I do wish they would make quality peripherals like they did in the good, old days when everything needed to be beaten with a hammer and sawn to pieces for it to stop working. So much crap today and people keep getting fooled.
    It is just because it is how business is doing nowadays. No big company really cares about their customers, all they're interested in is increasing sales number per period of time. That is why no company basically is interested in giving you quality, because you won't buy anything since your quality made stuff never or rarely breaks. Fucking 21st century, it is. Also, assembling electronics in freaking uncle Liao's chinese factory in night shift also don't help in making quality stuff.

I mean, my G5 and G15 got smashed to shit by my 2 year old kid when I left my computer un-guarded while he was playing with his bob-the-builder playset. He took the crowbar and smashed the left mousebutton and cracked the back of the mouse, the G15 was cracked in the middle and the LCD screen was broken off. The keyboard was flashing where the LED screen used to be. I actually used these for over 2 weeks after that incident while waiting for replacements. At that point the keyboard was almost 4 years old and the mouse almost 6. Logitech builds good stuff tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I'm going to generalize a bit here...

People are easily persuaded by presentation; companies focus and emphasize on marketing because it sells.

Take an example;
    The Logitech G400 was made as a replacement to the MX518 as we all know. Any enthusiast knows that this mouse is excellent, but from Logitech there is little marketing. It sells because it is well renowned, much thanks to the MX518 but also thanks to the community.

Flip the coin, you have something like the Razer Imperator (or whatever). Here, money is spend on name, presentation and marketing alongside the actual hardware.

The point? The end consumer pays for all that. Every single thing is calculated into the total cost and ultimately effects the SRP. How do I know this? Well, there is logic, but I also work with this kind of stuff.

Going a bit off-topic, but to explain my point here's an example: We bought underwear from a company a few months ago for 15 SEK a piece. Now they sell the same underwear, from the same manufacturer in China, but with the item neatly folded in a plastic packaging. The purchase price is now 18 SEK for the exact same thing, although it sells better because it is much easier to display in-store.

TL;DR: Sub-par gaming peripherals sell because most buyers focus more on presentation and looks rather than the actual performance (which means manufacturers will put more of the total budget of a product on marketing rather than on the hardware). It's also easier for a consumer to be tempted by presentation as it can be seen right away (impression) rather than performance as that's hard to measure first-hand without thorough tests.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-04-05 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'm going to generalize a bit here...

People are easily persuaded by presentation; companies focus and emphasize on marketing because it sells.

Take an example;
    The Logitech G400 was made as a replacement to the MX518 as we all know. Any enthusiast knows that this mouse is excellent, but from Logitech there is little marketing. It sells because it is well renowned, much thanks to the MX518 but also thanks to the community.

Flip the coin, you have something like the Razer Imperator (or whatever). Here, money is spend on name, presentation and marketing alongside the actual hardware.

The point? The end consumer pays for all that. Every single thing is calculated into the total cost and ultimately effects the SRP. How do I know this? Well, there is logic, but I also work with this kind of stuff.

Going a bit off-topic, but to explain my point here's an example: We bought underwear from a company a few months ago for 15 SEK a piece. Now they sell the same underwear, from the same manufacturer in China, but with the item neatly folded in a plastic packaging. The purchase price is now 18 SEK for the exact same thing, although it sells better because it is much easier to display in-store.

TL;DR: Sub-par gaming peripherals sell because most buyers focus more on presentation and looks rather than the actual performance (which means manufacturers will put more of the total budget of a product on marketing rather than on the hardware). It's also easier for a consumer to be tempted by presentation as it can be seen right away (impression) rather than performance as that's hard to measure first-hand without thorough tests.

I've used plenty of dodgy Logitech products over the years too.
    I don't know why people often pit Razer against Logitech, I use both and have had nearly no problems with Razer.

But! When I did I simply went back to the shop after 6 or so months and they just replaced it on the spot.
    Razer has a great QA team, and I think they don't deserve the flack they get. Every company has issues and they make up for it by offering on the spot replacement for all their items under warranty.

Deleted
    i recently bought the g600 and omg its a dream, and its way more reliable than the naga (note not all razer products are unreliable but the naga is a batch lottery as to whether you get one that will last a lifetime or one that will start double clicking in under 9 months). i have pretty big hands so its very comfortable for me and the bottom row of buttons can easily be clicked by using the inside of my thumb rather than trying to contort it backwards lol

Deleted
    I used logitech g5 for 5 years until the wheel stopped responding.
    I bought Sharkoon Darkglider a few months ago and I'm very pleased with it. Even better than logitech. It's even bigger so I can finally use the palm grip on it, and it's very comfortable
    Last edited by mmoce67615a32e; 2013-04-05 at 11:34 PM.

Fun fact about Logitech. My girlfriend uses a G510 Keyboard and a G400 Mouse. They both did die after about 2 and a half years though. The keyboard was due to a spill, which I still don't understand as I have has worse spills on my G110 and not had issues after cleaning it, but that's beside the point. The mouse the right mouse button become unresponsive. Both were gifts and i had no receipts. I called Logitech, gave them the serial number and they verified that it was likely they were purchased within the warranty period. They sent replacements for both, without sending the old ones back. Simply amazing.

Prior to that I have always used Logitech as well, and while I hate being a fanboy, I am one for Logitech. Other keyboards and mice that friends have just do not feel as sturdy to me. I ave also had problems with shorter cords on other brands. Logitech always gives you more than enough cord, even on it's cheap-o $15 keyboards(I use them at work).