Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    I'm having the feeling that the "older" players quit the game, and the newer, and mostlikely younger players are growning in numbers.
    That could be. It's not just that games are changing, it's that playerbase (AND some players itself too) are changing and games need to change for them. And that's alienating "older" players maybe. At least i'm starting to get fed up after playing since '06 and nowadays i feel that 99% of blue posts does not affect me any way.

Surely there's still "active" guys who made machinimas etc. wow-related shit, but maybe most of them have just quit after many years and current "typical" wow player is too lazy to make anything like videos/songs.

Dunno. Wow can't be shitty game, or else i would not have played it all these years. I just feel i'm not in this game's target group anymore...

...because i'm most uniquest snowflake there will ever be and i like to whine...!!11111
    Last edited by Skeletroll; 2013-04-04 at 02:19 PM.
    Former unique snowflake.

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    You probably joined in late Wrath.

OT: Yes it has. This is why I play and thoroughly enjoy RIFT now
    Oh that's just adorable.....
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

High Overlord
    If we're talking about the devs and their thumbprint on the game, then for instance Jeffrey Kaplan stepped down to work on Titan back in 2009. It's only speculation but I'm sure we'd see a very different game today if he'd been around as a lead designer on WoW. I'm not saying it would be a better or worse game, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    What happened?
    We grew up, got a little older, and most of the original crowd shuffled out and the new kids shuffled in. We became the "our friends are dead and these damn kids won't stay off my lawn" kinda people and the new kids coming in made sure we saw the chips on their shoulder and understood they wanted to make a name for themselves.

LFD / LFR allows people to run "together" without having to be on the same realm. CRZ takes us off "our realm" and puts everyone into a neutral zone with 5-7 other realms. Our world is no longer our own. When you choose a server, it should show the 6 others you are going to be stuck with. We clamored for years how we wanted the ability to sit in town and just queue up for stuff, while others cried how dead the world was. So, they've taken the basic aspects of WoW and turned this MMORPG into an MMO-RTS in 3D. You can now queue for anything solo, enter old raids solo, quest solo, do dailies solo, farm solo, duel solo (fight dummies), and a dozen other things without needing another friend or guildie in your list.

What ruined the game? The players. We now want everything our way, yesterday, right away. We want to solo it, farm it, complete it, and expect a reward for it every single time. We are not polite to others unless it is in our nature. Most nice people don't even talk in trade chat, or dungeons, or raids. What happened? We did... and there is no going back.

All that said - I keep to myself for the most part and still play with some friends while having alts in my own personal guild. It's drama free, cause it is just me.
    Last edited by Tyrion Lannister; 2013-04-04 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Revised FPS into RTS 3D

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Yeah once those Mountain Dew promos stopped I knew the game was truly dead.
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

Stood in the Fire
    I think this is an apt analogy:

I have served 20+ years in the US Naby onboard all types of ships...

Aircraft Carriers.. Deploy with 4K-5K people from all walks of life lets call this a high pop server, as a player I join this server or server xfer to grab that "culture" feeling. After awhile all those people are just nameplates (uniform markers) some you recognize some you don't. You naturally begin to gravitate toward people who share a like interest you begin to meet certain people in the gym, mess decks, berthings.. get to know them and stick with them (your guild). for me personally this created a bit of an anxiety disorder where large groups of "faceless" people made me nervous and I instinctively ran back into my "guild" to find that comfort level.

I really believe WoW has morphed into this type of culture, It is so vast that we seek what makes us comfortable as individuals. There are some who are social butterflies and can sit in trade and chat all day with anyone. There are those who wish to just go off into a quiet area of the game world and explore "leave me alone" for a bit. Its the clash of all walks of real life melding into pixels. We all have our reasons for playing (joining the military) and some accomplish their goals and move on (unsub till next tier/xpac or do their time and get out in military terms), some love it and stay for a career (pay month after month) but just want those moments where we can be nothing more than a pixel.

Sorry I am rambling here.. still drinking that coffee )
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ckabear/simple

Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

WoW is dead

Post constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-04-04 at 02:57 PM.
    Banned once...

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So, they've taken the basic aspects of WoW and turned this MMORPG into and FPSRPG.
    how is WoW FPS

I wouldn't call it a culture. It just had a happy and content community, and a company that listened to the players rather than the sub numbers.
    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    how is WoW FPS
    You can see for yourself. Just queue up for anything solo or go raid old content solo. Maybe you prefer MMO-RTS?

Herald of the Titans
    You can see for yourself. Just queue up for anything solo or go raid old content solo. Maybe you prefer MMO-RTS?
    It's only first-person if you zoom the camera way in hindering your range of vision, and I wouldn't really consider clicking abilities a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    It's only first-person if you zoom the camera way in hindering your range of vision, and I wouldn't really consider clicking abilities a shooter.
    Then I stand corrected and revise it to MMO-RTS set in 3d When you no longer have to rely on another living being in the game, it might as well be a 1P.

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Q: But who are the forum QQers going to QQ at now?
    A: They'll find another name and still miss the point that Blizzard designs as a collective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Next time say fan made. But still, even if it is fan made it was never a new one every day.
    Most fan made movies back then surely exemplified players having fun instead of arena videos galore like we've had since wotlk onwards.

We also had a lot more active machinima scene back then.

There were tons and tons of exploration/exploitation videos. While those things obviously ruined things for folks who enjoyed the "routine" in WoW, it added a certain kind of depth to the game that A LOT of players enjoyed.

Blizzard catered to the "hey most people are doing this anyways, let's just make it so that you HAVE to do this now and you don't have any other options" for whatever illegitimate reason. It's the reason we no longer get things on the scale of the pre-wotlk zombie event or raid bosses coming into major cities. Because "routine" has become way too important in this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I joined World of Warcraft in early 2008. Back then we had the game, like today, but not just the game! There were things going on outside the game, April Fools jokes, popular WoW Music/Machinima's being made [they still are, but they don't exactly catch on] We had L70ETC Rockin' it in Shattrath, funny commercials, mountain dew promotions and more! Where has the culture gone? This game feels like it has degraded into less of a fun community, and more into a silent wasteland where you raid, wait for a patch, and raid some more.

What happened?
    I think a lot of it has to do with Blizzard's change in direction for the game.

Sure some can say that the old players moved on and the new ones failed to carry on the culture or whatever.

However, since the last 2 expansions Blizzard themselves have admitted that "End Game" is their main focus. Balancing, PVPing, everything is all focused to the current highest level. Blizzard spent an entire expansion redoing most of the zones and what did we get? I thought Cataclysm was the perfect opportunity for them to build on what they already had. However, you barely complete a few quests before you gain a level. Classes have powerful abilities early in the game. Dungeons have literally become a snorefest and people complained about WTLK Heroics when they were nothing as bad to what we have.

Also their change in direction has been from an "MMO" to a Single Player Arcade Online whatever you want to call it thing.

More importantly the developers at Blizzard have lost the passion for the game. It could be due to a change of the development team but you can tell the difference. I don't think Ghostcrawler is the best person for the job. Its come to a point where, they want to make maximum profit from minimum investment. You saw what Dragon Soul turned out like. They made these big plans at the start of Cata about an underwater raid but it didn't come to fruition.

Of course it has not

Stood in the Fire
    Then I stand corrected and revise it to MMO-RTS set in 3d When you no longer have to rely on another living being in the game, it might as well be a 1P.
    I think what you're going for is a removal of the MMO aspect. RPG has always fit this game. It's been about building a character and acting as them in a fantasy world.

I agree to an extent, and I'm the sort of person that HATES the old "they made the game SP, it's not an MMO anymore" argument. Most of the time it's because an MMO development team added solo content, which is a complete joke because adding solo content doesn't removed the multiplayer aspect (a game that can't be played at all without grouping wouldn't survive). However, I've also noticed guilds being less personal, friends lists going over to RealID (if I know the person well) or just dying off, and a lot of the old places I'd go for information being less up-to-date (I was surprised with how neglected WoWWiki seems).

The community seems a lot less involved. It may be a generational thing, but I think some of it has to do with everything going cross-server. At this point, the best way to meet people you can add to a guild or friends list is to use the LFGuild tool until you find a guild with people that you enjoy hanging out with (which could mean a lot of /gquits) and then hoping it's big enough that you don't have to do everything with the one-time-randoms most of the time anyway.

It works alright for me, because I have very limited times to play anyway, but the only friends I have in game anymore are people I know in RL (granted, I'm just coming back, but I don't think I've had to interact with anyone from my server since I started playing yet).

Back then WoW was all about gaining subscriber numbers, because the game was new and fresh!
    Like blizzard has pointed out a few times, now it aint about gaining new players, because WoW is like #1 Known game out there, and has basicly reached all those who he can get.

It's all about keeping the current players, and to do so you dont need fency commercial, you need good content ^^
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    no king rules forever, but WoW is a stubborn bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Most fan made movies back then surely exemplified players having fun instead of arena videos galore like we've had since wotlk onwards.

We also had a lot more active machinima scene back then.

There were tons and tons of exploration/exploitation videos. While those things obviously ruined things for folks who enjoyed the "routine" in WoW, it added a certain kind of depth to the game that A LOT of players enjoyed.

Blizzard catered to the "hey most people are doing this anyways, let's just make it so that you HAVE to do this now and you don't have any other options" for whatever illegitimate reason. It's the reason we no longer get things on the scale of the pre-wotlk zombie event or raid bosses coming into major cities. Because "routine" has become way too important in this game.
    Most people didn't enjoy the zombie event or the bosses coming into cities. It made cities unusable.

No it's not, its just evolved.

The community has drifted away from the need for Machinima movies and songs, but now there are more tournaments going on and with larger streaming capabilities and such it's getting bigger by the day. It's just changed, maybe you just don't like the newer stuff, I prefer it
    i require ham.