Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Konata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Badlands
    Posts
    1,124

    Has WoW lost its inside culture?

    I joined World of Warcraft in early 2008. Back then we had the game, like today, but not just the game! There were things going on outside the game, April Fools jokes, popular WoW Music/Machinima's being made [they still are, but they don't exactly catch on] We had L70ETC Rockin' it in Shattrath, funny commercials, mountain dew promotions and more! Where has the culture gone? This game feels like it has degraded into less of a fun community, and more into a silent wasteland where you raid, wait for a patch, and raid some more.

    What happened?

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Nexsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    652
    It is. Nobody wants to help you anymore. 99.9% of people look out for themselves and what they can get from using you.

    Guilds and mostly just close friends now. A lot of players that think they are hardcore are snobby and make anyone else feel like crap by treating them like it. In my opinion, you're not an awesome player just because you can do content. You're an awesome player for playing fair, and not being a rude ass to everyone.

  3. #3
    It never had a "culture" to begin with.

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    It never had a "culture" to begin with.
    You probably joined in late Wrath.

    OT: Yes it has. This is why I play and thoroughly enjoy RIFT now

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Konata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Badlands
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    It never had a "culture" to begin with.
    You used to go out and see WoW bumper stickers, WoW promotions for things like Mountain Dew. WoW used to have commercials on TV Every day. It had new music coming in by the record each day. It had heavy roleplaying and fanfiction communities, all that is dead now.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexsa View Post
    It is. Nobody wants to help you anymore. 99.9% of people look out for themselves and what they can get from using you.
    So it's basically just like real life then. lol
    Look! Words!

  7. #7
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,771
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/machinima.php
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Level_90_Elite_Tauren_Chieftain
    We didn't have funny commercials all the time. We'd have nothing for a while, then suddenly a couple of commercials followed by nothing for a long time.

    Maybe it has hardly degraded but you just stopped being a part of it?
    Because all this stuff is still out there if you'd take the effort of doing anything besides "waiting in a silent wasteland".

    The main difference between now and then is that people want their fun spoon-fed to them and act like that's how it always was.
    Well, screw that, if we wanted to have fun in TBC we had to work for it!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    You probably joined in late Wrath.
    It's bad to assume stuff when you're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    You used to go out and see WoW bumper stickers, WoW promotions for things like Mountain Dew. WoW used to have commercials on TV Every day. It had new music coming in by the record each day. It had heavy roleplaying and fanfiction communities, all that is dead now.
    So those bumper stickers just no longer exist or what? You're creating problems where there are none. The mountain dew promotion didn't last that long. I still see WoW commercials and it was certainly never every day like you said. Neither did it have new music coming out every day. New music only came with new patches or expansions. And what classifies as "heavy roleplaying and fanfixtion communities"?

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Desaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tempest Keep
    Posts
    2,807
    it got old

    They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle. Your gods are not your gods, outsider.

  10. #10
    Elite Tauren Chieftain sucked anyways.

  11. #11
    I bet a lot of those things had more to do with people having a lot more spare time because the game had like 1/100th the content back then lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    it got old
    Pretty much this. With Blizzard's constant casual-ization of the game, and the constant cycling of new players joining and old players leaving, of course the "culture" is going to slowly fade away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    This is why I play and thoroughly enjoy RIFT now
    Indeed. With less players, the RIFT community feels more closely-knit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I bet a lot of those things had more to do with people having a lot more spare time because the game had like 1/100th the content back then lol.
    Uh...no, it was more of the opposite, really. Raids were bigger (on average), and the game in general was more grindy and time-consuming. WoW today is super-mega casual compared to WoW 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Konata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Badlands
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    New music only came with new patches or expansions
    Try Gigi, Oxhorn, Nyhm, and all those fun characters.

  14. #14
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,232
    BC through Wrath was when all that happened, Vanilla was still building the game, Cata and MoP is just, well, everyone knows about it now, don't really need to "promote" it now, ya know? Also go to a full pop server, you'll get plenty of culture.


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Try Gigi, Oxhorn, Nyhm, and all those fun characters.
    Next time say fan made. But still, even if it is fan made it was never a new one every day.

  16. #16
    I get what you're saying, and I agree. People are just being assholes here. If you look at it objectively, you would see that it has been a long time since the last great machinima or parody song.

    WoW used to inspire creators from all around the globe, but not so much anymore.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Uh...no, it was more of the opposite, really. Raids were bigger (on average), and the game in general was more grindy and time-consuming. WoW today is super-mega casual compared to WoW 5 years ago.
    Grinding is the sort of boring thing you can do while posting on forums, and only a small fraction of the playerbase ever saw those raids. There is a huge amount of content anyone can do in MoP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  18. #18
    IF you want culture go to a high pop realm. You'll get more then you can handle I had to transfer off one because I like some peace and quite. The only thing wrong with the wow culture now is the people who constantly whine how there is something wrong with the game but yet continue to pay the monthly fee, which makes me /facepalm.

    Probably the same people who hate fast food but continue to go to McD's for lunch every day.

  19. #19
    Yeah once those Mountain Dew promos stopped I knew the game was truly dead.
    "Brevity is...wit"

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Yeah once those Mountain Dew promos stopped I knew the game was truly dead.
    So a limited one time promotion showed you the game was dead?
    For anyone thinking this promotion lasted years/happened many times, just follow this link:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_War...Fuel_Promotion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •