Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    it's just another wow clone at the end of the day nothing special, if i'm going to switch from wow it's got to be something totally unique and groundbreaking and different, don't see the point jumping to all these mmo's that all look so alike and play alike, so people feel comfortable and used to controls etc etc, well if they all have that why change mmo?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    it's just another wow clone at the end of the day nothing special, if i'm going to switch from wow it's got to be something totally unique and groundbreaking and different, don't see the point jumping to all these mmo's that all look so alike and play alike, so people feel comfortable and used to controls etc etc, well if they all have that why change mmo?
    That term REALLY annoys me. At the end of the day... WoW is an EQ clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    That term REALLY annoys me. At the end of the day... WoW is an EQ clone.
    So it's a clone of a clone? That's really what annoys you? It's not like it's a big difference anyway. If WoW is a clone of EQ, what's the difference really between people calling it either a WoW clone or an EQ clone. If it's a clone, it's going to be the same thing. You might as well say It's an Ultima clone then, seeing as that came before EQ. There was The Realm before UO.. before that, MUDS, before that DND, before that mythology at some point, and so on.

It's all a very big clone-y way of life.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I don't find it fun ... I tried playing it but I couldn't manage to lvl past 20 ... just got bored and uninstalled... only fun I had was with rifts and even that got boring before 20 ... and from the vids I saw raiding didn't seem any different than wow raidin but with subpar gear... also the animations really irk me ... they feel clunky.

I am no great fan of World of Warcraft. However, WoW is not an "EQ clone". They took many elements of EQ and modernized them, but the watershed of going from EQ/AC to WoW was great a jump as it was going from text MUDs to EQ. Which is what EQ was-- just one evolutionary step above a MUD.

Original EQ was as crude and clunky as the MUDs were of the era.

WoW may not be the most respectable MMO from a gameplay POV [gameplay is not opinion]. Though make no mistake, WoW is an important MMO all it's own. It has all but defined and dominated the genre in total since release.

That is not an EQ clone.

That is a watershed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am no great fan of World of Warcraft. However, WoW is not an "EQ clone". They took many elements of EQ and modernized them, but the watershed of going from EQ/AC to WoW was great a jump as it was going from text MUDs to EQ. Which is what EQ was-- just one evolutionary step above a MUD.

Original EQ was as crude and clunky as the MUDs were of the era.

WoW may not be the most respectable MMO from a gameplay POV [gameplay is not opinion]. Though make no mistake, WoW is an important MMO all it's own. It has all but defined and dominated the genre in total since release.

That is not an EQ clone.

That is a watershed.

how is gameplay not oppinion? some ppl love the gameplay of wow and hate the gameplay of something like tera and gw2 ... such as myself ... ofc it can be better but no other game comes close to the gameplay fluidity of WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand it's just my opinion and everyone is different... but to me RIFT is such a superior game to WoW and other MMOs. I know people still play SWTOR, yet RIFT is obviously superior - sans Hutball.

For me at least, RIFT feels like what WoW was before the introduction of WotLK; like if you took the devs from that time and stuck them with another game. The raiding feels superior, the graphics are better... player housing is there, etc. The one lacking area is PvP, but for raiders I am not sure why the transition isn't made onto RIFT. Content patches are much more plentiful in RIFT as well.
    Three major things:

1) My FPS is horrendous in the game, even with my recent video card upgrade.

2) I hit level 58 and had 0 quests left to complete other than grind quests. I hate grinding.

3) I can't stand the healing in the game. The way buffs, debuffs, and HoTs are displayed makes me rage.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    Because it's a boring and crappy wow clone.
    It also had HORRIBLE bugs in the most basic controls (mouse turn) when I tried it. It was 1+ years after release, there is no excuse for that.

Deleted
    I find Rift extremely boring. Combat is slow and clunky, the talent trees are far too bloated, the scenery (and graphics in general) look horrible. The main difference between Rift and WoW is that WoW feels like it is has life to it, the graphics, characters, players etc but with Rift it just feels so isolated and dull.

Well I would try it but I'm really enjoying GW2 atm.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "realistic" graphics in an MMO don't appeal to me.
    Rift's graphics aren't realistic

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Because it's a boring and crappy wow clone.
    It also had HORRIBLE bugs in the most basic controls (mouse turn) when I tried it. It was 1+ years after release, there is no excuse for that.
    What bug? I've been playing for over a year and have yet to experience any issues with view controls >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito Noctix View Post
    It's the same reason SWTOR got a huge following (for a while). It's freakin' Star Wars.
    Star Wars is doing great; over two million subscriptions since going F2P because they made a game that people wanted to subscribe to after trying it.

I honestly think that's the future of the MMO genre, and it's a good thing in my eyes.

Deleted
    I understand it's just my opinion and everyone is different... but to me RIFT is such a superior game to WoW and other MMOs. I know people still play SWTOR, yet RIFT is obviously superior - sans Hutball.

For me at least, RIFT feels like what WoW was before the introduction of WotLK; like if you took the devs from that time and stuck them with another game. The raiding feels superior, the graphics are better... player housing is there, etc. The one lacking area is PvP, but for raiders I am not sure why the transition isn't made onto RIFT. Content patches are much more plentiful in RIFT as well.
    Duh cause its a complete WoW clone, totes gonna be F2P in a few weeks srsly it has like 4 players EU and 89% of its playerbase dont even play da game. -_-

pretty much this mentality ^^^^^ is why RIFT doesn't have as many players as it should.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it more then WoW but really all I wanted to do was world quest and collect artifacts, craft and fish. Simple things and really didn't want to pay a full sub price to enjoy the side features of the game. I feel really jealous that the Korean version got up to level 49 free, I would of camped there and just explored and RPed to my hearts content if thats how it was in the state's version.

Deleted
    The old MMOs have a certain attachment to it.. Your old characters, and friends you've found while playing and proberly some IRL ones aswell.
    Its "hard" to start up a new MMO, without looking at it at certain aspects where you find lack.. Your friends and attachments to the other game pulls you back to it.
    Well, when you look at RIFT, you got to see that they dont have any background games to it.. SWTOR, WOW and GUILD WARS 2, all have a history of games behind it, to lift it up. WOW some games and books, SWTOR got the star-wars games and movies. GUILD WARS started the same way as RIFT, but there are so many of those games out now, and many GUILD WARS 2 players, are from the first one.

Thats atleast what i think, and ofcourse, it looks like just another medieval MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, Rift sure is a "WoW clone", copied everything from healing Mages to ranged spell casting warriors

Heck Rift even copied all the mounts from WoW, i mean compare these two mounts from Rift, Aurora and the Fiery Steed

I mean both are a blatant attempt to copy and look like WoW's Pegasus mount.....

Wait, what do you mean Pegasus isn't even out yet? how did Trion "clone" that Pegasus mount

Not a very fun game honestly, and to this day I get annoyed when I think about how cocky the devs were pre-release, openly saying "yeah this is the wow-killer for sure" in interviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now let us take a look at the default UI of both games.
    I wasn't aware Blizzard have now made their default UI fully customizable, all elements able to be rescaled and movable?

I know i quite playing WoW the very next day after i played Beta 4 of Rift over 2 years ago so i may have missed this modable default UI without a 100 and 1 mods. Rift's default UI is fully customizable out of the box by the way, just in case you didn't know.

I guess many people didn't feel compelled to leave a tried and tested game for something that tries to be the same just f2p?
    Guess i missed the memo that Rift is now F2P

Fun vs sub cost. 4 words to sum it up really.

Personally I played it no-life the first 3 weeks I bought it. I though I had found the messia, the next coming, wow 2.0 and all that. Was ready to throw my life away - All feelt great.

Then about 9-10 days played into the game (Yes, I played alot first month lol) I just got shit bored. Saw the end-game model was to close to wow. Nothing really spoke to me. By then I had explored the world pretty good, did all the crafting stuff like making my own pre-raid BOE's and maxing proffesions/AH playing/artifact hunting, ran all 5 mans and thoes master once to a point where I had good pre-raid BIS gear, and saw pvp inn the game casually (Noticed the gear grind/balance inn the game was HORRIBLE, then stopped).

As I said before about rift; Its graphics (Maybe abit clonky animations and to void/empty zones and my PC coulden't handle ultra anyway) UI and spec system was GREAT. I really enjoyed playing my rogue...Aoe-spec/grind, melee single target, bard, tank, ranged hunter...and so on - Much fun. Didn't even take much time to understand and play all the specces. Just required alot of keybinds, and having to mess with "addons" witch sucked compared to what you can find inn wow.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hole zone invasions/rifts we're pretty cool until like level 30. By then it just kinda got "meh, whatever". And lvling was, EVEN trough new game, as booring as wow lvling at times really. I hated the lvling at times...
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2013-04-04 at 09:53 AM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO