Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Thanks for showing your knowledge of how memory works inside programs.
    And the drop in FPS would point to problems with CPU, not the memory.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Thanks for showing your knowledge of how memory works inside programs.
    Yeah....

    So, let's just go over your hypothetical for Windows, which seems to be the most common user profile.

    The limitations of the stack and heap here are typically just under 4 GB for a 32-bit single program (and I have to assume you are using a 32 bit binary because with 64 bit, your argument really doesn't make any sense, and my game launcher uses the 64-bit version), and Windows tends to allocate chunks of contiguous heap in ~2 GB chunks. However, Windows uses a virtual addressing space called the Physical Address Extension (PAE) which allows 32-bit Windows user-mode applications to use more than 4GB of memory when running on a 64 bit architecture (such as most computers you can buy). For your argument to hold water, the game would need to exhaust its available allocation. I'm not seeing anything like that.

    The only other thing I can think of with your comment is about paged memory versus non-paged memory versus disk-emulated memory (memory that has been mapped to the hard drive). In this case, I'm assuming you're a super advanced user who would actually understand how to set their page size and disk emulated memory. Though the latter can cause ms latency spikes with writes especially, it's hardly in line with whatever you were trying to say. What typically happens within the OS realm is that the OS keeps a memory cache of this disk cache within pages and the OS does some smart synchronization between the page profile and the hard disk after writes for virtual memory usage. Is your claim that the addons are loading more than the 500MB of addressable paged memory per process and that Stampede is causing a cascading page fault (which would require some truly bad chained database and memory interaction strategies)? Or are you literally claiming that the game is taking more than 4 GBs of memory when Stampede is used and we should assume everyone is running a 32-bit client for this memory argument to make sense? For perspective, the memory usage for WoW on my machine doesn't seem to go above 1.6 GB with full addons going. As for disk-emulated memory, I also use a solid-state drive, so even then, the seek latency is minimal and the throughput is high.

    When you have something other than a one liner, feel free to share. Otherwise, I would tread carefully with your sarcasm.
    Last edited by Effinhunter; 2013-04-08 at 05:48 PM.

  3. #63
    Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler 3h
    Is anyone having trouble with Stampede lag who is running modless? As far as we know, this is an add-on issue, not one of our bugs.




    --- POsted 3 hours ago. THIS EXISTED ON PTR WHEN NO ADDONS WERE ENABLED

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler 3h
    Is anyone having trouble with Stampede lag who is running modless? As far as we know, this is an add-on issue, not one of our bugs.
    Problem here is that...

    Anyway, imagine your... Computer as hierarchy stating from the metal (hardware) to the top running application - e.g. hardware -> BIOS -> OS -> WoW -> Skada.
    If any of layers are able to make problems in the underlining tiers, then the first layer below problematic application is coded in the wrong way. If this really is a problem caused by addon, then we should all get the message as soon as Stampede is up - "Addon X has stopped working!"

  5. #65
    Small update from GC:

    @angryMeleti We can't reproduce Stampede lag sans add-ons. If anyone has any steps, we can try them out.
    @angryMeleti Also, it might happen if anyone in your group has a bad or outdated addon, not just the hunter.
    @angryMeleti Somehow related to error handlers not handling unknown unit frames correctly, esp. on big fights like Ji-Kun / SoF.
    @angryMeleti It's certainly possible we're wrong or don't have the whole story, but that is our current information on Stampede lag.
    I'm going to see if I can produce the bug myself tonight, but if anyone has some more information feel free to jump in.

  6. #66
    Keep in mind, WoW is an 8+(?) year old game that has had a bunch of stuff basically crammed in and expected to work. If Blizz would actually redesign the games engine for technology made in, let's say, the last 5 years, crap like this wouldn't happen. There's a reason people can claim to run the latest Crysis on the highest settings at 60 FPS and choke out in 25m in WoW.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Izonami View Post
    Keep in mind, WoW is an 8+(?) year old game that has had a bunch of stuff basically crammed in and expected to work. If Blizz would actually redesign the games engine for technology made in, let's say, the last 5 years, crap like this wouldn't happen. There's a reason people can claim to run the latest Crysis on the highest settings at 60 FPS and choke out in 25m in WoW.
    Bugs happen whether the engine is 8 years old or 2 years old. The description GC gave indicates that the Stampede bug has nothing to do with the game engine.

    Feral Druid Maintainer of SimC // Moderator at Fluid Druid forums
    Pawkets' Armory
    // Pawkets' Pro Raiders // <Forgotten Aspects>

  8. #68
    Of course, I just meant things were more likely to happen with the Frankenstein-ish code base WoW must be by now. Add-ons, however, do seem to have some play in this, though I think it's a bit early for anyone (including GC) to say that they are the sole reason.

  9. #69
    Again, why is Ghostcrawler ignoring the fact this happened on PTR during testing when ADDONS WERE DISABLED

    This is a coding issue that doesn't properly interact with specific encounters.

  10. #70
    Killed heroic Ji Kun 25m this week, didn't see the lag.

  11. #71
    Having addons disabled personally does not actually rule out an addon problem, because addons can spam other players within a raid group through channel-based messaging that happens behind the scenes.

  12. #72
    qq .
    Last edited by Titheon; 2013-04-09 at 06:20 AM.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    Having addons disabled personally does not actually rule out an addon problem, because addons can spam other players within a raid group through channel-based messaging that happens behind the scenes.
    I asked around but no one had lag issues this week. Dunno what is going on.

  14. #74
    Maybe they fixed it.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiron View Post
    I heard that it was caused by Skada, and was actually fixed in latest version
    Skada and recount are the culprit for hunter lag issues 9/10 times. Ever since they removed feeding your pet for happiness and all the issues that caused that is the first thing I check if I have issues on my hunter.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Also, its Birmingham. The place has more guns than teeth. What do you expect?

  16. #76
    They didn't, I accidentally used it on lei shen a couple of hours ago and lost 3 people because of the lag.

  17. #77
    Simple to test isn't it? If you're getting "stampede lag" then switch off all addons and see if it's fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  18. #78
    ive experienced this on lei shen as well

    but once again


    this happened on PTR testing.............when addons were disabled for ptr..............so no one had addons........dundundundundundudn

  19. #79
    You can have addons on and use them during the ptr testing. Mine worked.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    You can have addons on and use them during the ptr testing. Mine worked.


    There was a time on 5.2 raiding testing when addons were disabled.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •