Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    How do you figure it is impossible for the melee to hit the adds you are tanking?

    While be have been using 2 tanks, both tanks have always stacks up on top of eachother for cleaves and extra damage.
    Last edited by Firefly33; 2013-04-08 at 07:00 PM.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Twins (normal) is very easy to solo tank. The fire debuffs is the only issue yeah, but nothing minor CDs cant fix. If you have a disc priest that you can coplay with, it is a complete joke. Without Disc, you rotate CDs wisely.
    Actually i think with proper timing don't need to cd. If you get literally inside the meteor that drops you take -90% fire dmg, but your haste is reduced by infinity and beyond, however should still be able to dip into it for to prevent dmg.

  3. #23
    Very true. /agreed

    To be honest, I did not even know that mechanic was there. It was never an issue to solo tank it without it, with that, it is not even a challenge.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  4. #24
    Just to give some feedback, you can just bubble the Fire Debuff, so its cake, i just solotanked them, died liek always in the 1st try.

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8368&e=8802

    And i have just 505 gear, its by far even enough for quon HC solo, so try it, its fun! Even ranked 8 because most people 2tank this still.
    Last edited by Kroni; 2013-04-08 at 08:59 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Very true. /agreed

    To be honest, I did not even know that mechanic was there. It was never an issue to solo tank it without it, with that, it is not even a challenge.
    I noticed it only after reading dungeon journal and testing it, because you have to be literally inside the meteor.

  6. #26
    Running in and out for double swipe is going to be a dps loss for the melee, and if the tank is also running out with all the battle bears, all the cleaves are going to be all over the melee. Not to mention poison on the ground, sand on the ground, frozen orbs and the lightning totems. And, on Heroic, the direhorns spawn inside the boss, and if you're standing right in his face it'll be really hard to get out before you get melee'd.

  7. #27
    You do realise that the double swipe is targeted at a raid member, not the tank, and keeping the boss in melee actually lowers the chance of melees being target by it due to the angle to ranged players.

    I can buy the direhorn for heroic mode, but in normal, really no reason not to stack the boss on the adds. You can plenty of room to see that frozen orbs and poison, he got huge hitbox.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  8. #28
    To add to that i've noticed that seeing how half the mobs already spawn in bosses hitbox (well depending on where you tank him) and the fact that the 2nd tank won't have anywhere near your veng level it actually makes it easier to pick up adds (esp with that healing agro).

  9. #29
    The charge/swipe combo is randomly targeted but the boss will also swipe facing the tank so my group at least have always angled horridon away from the melee using two tanks. Am very interested in solo tanking some of the others though, thanks for the suggestions.
    Sanctity, level 90 Blood elf protection Paladin of <Fallout> on Tarren Mill EU

  10. #30
    how would twins work out with the beast of nightmare btw? seems a bit harsh on the healers to tank through that right? :O

    and god, i loved to one tank durumu . my personal dps just shot through the roof, and we managed to kill him even with 3 dps dead after first black phase :P.. was really fun hehe.

  11. #31
    I think you're overestimating Ji-Kun. He's not very picky with Talon Rakes, he'll smack anything nearby. We've had him smack up pets, bloodworms, and even totems if nothing else was in range (usually right after a Downdraft). How difficult could it possibly be to arrange a quick "Everybody get out of melee range for 3 seconds" for two Talon Rakes in a row, maybe 3 times in the fight?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    I think you're overestimating Ji-Kun. He's not very picky with Talon Rakes, he'll smack anything nearby. We've had him smack up pets, bloodworms, and even totems if nothing else was in range (usually right after a Downdraft). How difficult could it possibly be to arrange a quick "Everybody get out of melee range for 3 seconds" for two Talon Rakes in a row, maybe 3 times in the fight?
    This is probably very possible. We had our ghost iron dragonling soak up several attacks on this fight.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 05:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith87 View Post
    how would twins work out with the beast of nightmare btw? seems a bit harsh on the healers to tank through that right
    Not at all, the damage the tanks take is barely noticeable. The tank can almost heal himself. A few heals from healers and it is fine, + the beast dies really really fast. Usually killing the beast 15-20 seconds atleast before the next one spawns, so healers got plenty of time to hot up before the next beast.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  13. #33
    Hi I'm a dk tank but I found some strat you mentioned here might still be helpful to me. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind to help me with.

    1) Tortos bats. I think I must miss something here. How do you aggro them? I sometimes have trouble doing this.

    2) Ji-Kun. How long is the fight duration with your 1 tank 1 heal strat and what do the food pools look like in the end? And do you happen to know if Hand of Protection will reset stacks on tank?

    3) Durumu. I heard ppl said it's possible to one tank with "a pally", which they didn't mention if he is tank. We do have a ret pally in our group. Do you think it is possible for me to one tank? We could give this a shot but since we are progressing on other bosses. I need to think things through before I propose in raid...

    Thank you!

    PS: Many strat you mentioned here seems pretty gear-wise. Though I'm confident about my tanking, I don't think either my or our raid's gears allow us to do some of them lol. And some fights... Well doesn't look that "solo" to me. I mean having dps/healer taunt at a really precise time, hmm, I normally wouldn't consider that as "solo". Basically still 2 tank, just one of them is not a typical tank class. But just personal feeling. I really don't want you to think I mean any offence here

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Hi I'm a dk tank but I found some strat you mentioned here might still be helpful to me. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind to help me with.

    1) Tortos bats. I think I must miss something here. How do you aggro them? I sometimes have trouble doing this.

    2) Ji-Kun. How long is the fight duration with your 1 tank 1 heal strat and what do the food pools look like in the end? And do you happen to know if Hand of Protection will reset stacks on tank?

    3) Durumu. I heard ppl said it's possible to one tank with "a pally", which they didn't mention if he is tank. We do have a ret pally in our group. Do you think it is possible for me to one tank? We could give this a shot but since we are progressing on other bosses. I need to think things through before I propose in raid...

    Thank you!

    PS: Many strat you mentioned here seems pretty gear-wise. Though I'm confident about my tanking, I don't think either my or our raid's gears allow us to do some of them lol. And some fights... Well doesn't look that "solo" to me. I mean having dps/healer taunt at a really precise time, hmm, I normally wouldn't consider that as "solo". Basically still 2 tank, just one of them is not a typical tank class. But just personal feeling. I really don't want you to think I mean any offence here
    1) I would say same way as you normally do, After they came out try to blood tap and drop a DnD after you got initial agro go as you usually do, possibly pop an extra cd.

    2)Haven't tried, but if ya interested in it get death clock addon and it will give you a fairly clear indication of how long it might take. (It tracks dmg on the boss over a few sec and then approximates time to kill him)

    3)You can, if he specs for double BoP. After you get to ~6 or 7 stacks call out for a bop and you should be spamming cancel aura bind so that none of the melees die. After stacks reset you will get ~3-4 stacks before the maze phase. After that it will reset. However if i remember correctly after 2nd maze phase the CD can get sketchy. So you might need to go 7+ stacks after that.

    P.S.
    There is a big difference between actual 2 tanks, and 1 tank + 1 dps on taunt. Because of my group comp in my DK's raid, on lei-shen i basically don't tank at all instead i'm just soaking decaps / fusion and etc, so the first time i actually get to "tank" is p3. Which means that had i been on a plate dps, there would've been a lot more dps for the first 2 phases on the fight.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Hi I'm a dk tank but I found some strat you mentioned here might still be helpful to me. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind to help me with.

    1) Tortos bats. I think I must miss something here. How do you aggro them? I sometimes have trouble doing this.

    2) Ji-Kun. How long is the fight duration with your 1 tank 1 heal strat and what do the food pools look like in the end? And do you happen to know if Hand of Protection will reset stacks on tank?

    3) Durumu. I heard ppl said it's possible to one tank with "a pally", which they didn't mention if he is tank. We do have a ret pally in our group. Do you think it is possible for me to one tank? We could give this a shot but since we are progressing on other bosses. I need to think things through before I propose in raid.
    1. I aggro them simple with the self healing from Seal of insight and the raid healing from the battle healer glyph. I am not sure if DKs have enough self healing to do the same, I figure you just have try. As I mentioned, I often intentionally drop low before the bats spawn, so that I can heal myself more.

    2. I have not personally tried solo tanking ji-kun. So can't comment on this, only heard about the nuke strategy, have not seen it executed or tried it myself.
    Though as mentioned on the earlier page. Maybe possible to simply use a "run out" tactic to make him talon rake pets.

    3. One paladin should be enough, but you have to be very quick with cancelling the bop communication is key. I would suggest to reset at 5-7 stacks, pretty much when the tripple beams start. Then just let the stacks fall off themselves during the maze.


    For me 1 tank = 1 person in tank spec. If I am tanking the boss for 99.9% of the time, only having a dps click a button to soak a stack / Let me reset my stacks, I wouldn't call him a tank, since he is only doing his dps rotation, hitting taunt 2-3 times during the entire fight.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 07:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    However if i remember correctly after 2nd maze phase the CD can get sketchy. So you might need to go 7+ stacks after that.
    The duration of the maze is the same anyway, allowing stacks to drop disregardless of when it starts. I have never had any problems here.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    The duration of the maze is the same anyway, allowing stacks to drop disregardless of when it starts. I have never had any problems here.
    I meant the CD on BoP, with 1 paladin i'm not sure if at this point 5 minutes have passed since the first HoP by the time you reach 5 stacks. I think at this point i had to divine shield myself.

  17. #37
    Well. I use UBS for that fight, and I never use BoP, only use Bubble twice during the fight, it is atleast 2:30 between the Bubble uses for me, so 1 paladin with clemency will have 2:30 cd aswell, so it should be fine. Havent tried though.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    1. I aggro them simple with the self healing from Seal of insight and the raid healing from the battle healer glyph. I am not sure if DKs have enough self healing to do the same, I figure you just have try. As I mentioned, I often intentionally drop low before the bats spawn, so that I can heal myself more.

    2. I have not personally tried solo tanking ji-kun. So can't comment on this, only heard about the nuke strategy, have not seen it executed or tried it myself.
    Though as mentioned on the earlier page. Maybe possible to simply use a "run out" tactic to make him talon rake pets.

    3. One paladin should be enough, but you have to be very quick with cancelling the bop communication is key. I would suggest to reset at 5-7 stacks, pretty much when the tripple beams start. Then just let the stacks fall off themselves during the maze.


    For me 1 tank = 1 person in tank spec. If I am tanking the boss for 99.9% of the time, only having a dps click a button to soak a stack / Let me reset my stacks, I wouldn't call him a tank, since he is only doing his dps rotation, hitting taunt 2-3 times during the entire fight.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 07:52 PM ----------



    The duration of the maze is the same anyway, allowing stacks to drop disregardless of when it starts. I have never had any problems here.
    Thank you for your reply.

    1) You just stand in front of Tortos and heal yourself to get aggro? I thought that would require bats have initial aggro on you, and if you happened to be slow by a sec they could totally go for a healer?

    2) Yea I understand it's possible. But I'm also considering the simplicity of fight. Like for our group, if we wanna try 1 tank 1 heal, funny thing is we need our monk healer to tank, and 2 tanks go dps which results in 3 melee. If we can drop stacks simply by a bubble that would be much easier for melees.

    3) Sounds about right to me. Might give it a shot.

    PS: Well I didn't expect a discussion here... It's just a personal feeling, just like I never consider Brawler's Guild as "solo" (because to me "solo" is not just killing something by yourself, it's killing, by yourself, something that is not meant to be killed by yourself in the first place). Like these taunt off mechanics, I would personally consider it's "solo tanking" if we could somehow bypass it, either with dps or mechanic, like Iron Qon, or Madness in DS. But yea I'm not trying to convince everyone to agree with me lol. Just my personal feeling.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 03:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I am not sure if DKs have enough self healing to do the same
    BTW I'm so sad to hear that lol I mean DKs used to be the OP healing tank, but now pretty much they can only beat warriors on healing

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    1) You just stand in front of Tortos and heal yourself to get aggro? I thought that would require bats have initial aggro on you, and if you happened to be slow by a sec they could totally go for a healer?
    Nah, you just ignore the bats, they'll make a beeline for you most likely as long as you keep up your rotation. Battle Healer and Insight and all that jazz.
    Paladin heals cause the standard healing aoe threat, unlike DK heals, and since you've got a nice threat modifier you'll usually be higher than the healers on the aggro table.

    DKs still do more healing than Paladins, but mobs just ignore it, so this tactic isn't entirely copyable by DKs. DnD, maybe Gorefiend's them into range, but it's a stretch unless you just have the healers stack on you and you catch the bats before they gib someone.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    Nah, you just ignore the bats, they'll make a beeline for you most likely as long as you keep up your rotation. Battle Healer and Insight and all that jazz.
    Paladin heals cause the standard healing aoe threat, unlike DK heals, and since you've got a nice threat modifier you'll usually be higher than the healers on the aggro table.

    DKs still do more healing than Paladins, but mobs just ignore it, so this tactic isn't entirely copyable by DKs. DnD, maybe Gorefiend's them into range, but it's a stretch unless you just have the healers stack on you and you catch the bats before they gib someone.
    Yea thanks I think I see how it works. Basically pally heals the raid instead of just himself (like DK), so whomever bats are focusing on, pally can aggro by healing more. But DK just heals himself so it's not likely to get aggro unless bats have initial aggro on dk. Well we do have 2 hunters to MD so guess we could still try, but maybe after we get more gears lol. I didn't expect it easier than 2-tanking according to our current gears.

    And you are right I just noticed we still have insane heal. Guess I just forgot recount didn't record absorption properly sometimes. Our RL checked WoL and told me I did around same healing as healers every fight, and top healing so hard on Horridon and Primordius <.< Looks like the main difference between pally and dk's tank healing is one for himself and one for raid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •