Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I can't recall any great 2014 games. At least I -HEARD ABOUT- and -PLAYED- DAI.
    There was a handful of games with better metacritic scores then DAI that year. If the judges voted the same way their companies rated the games DAI doesn't win period. Even if Bayonetta 2 is considered too niche to win the award, Dark Souls 2 says hi, and is at least in line with Bayonetta 2 reviews wise. DAI was not.

Last I checked, you knowing about a game does not make it deserving of GOTY. Hell if I go off of what I get out of your posts, you sure as hell shouldn't be judging what is GOTY or not.

Wait what, Dark Souls 2 was last year?

Last I checked, you knowing about a game does not make it deserving of GOTY.
    I'm more-like saying last year didn't have a lot of great games so DAI winning isn't much of a surprise. If DAI was released in 2015 it wouldn't even make the top 3.

Looks like there will be another Witcher game

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=419

Most probably, the main hero will no longer be Geralt, but a witcher created by the player himself
    Best news out of that, at least for me it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait what, Dark Souls 2 was last year?

I'm more-like saying last year didn't have a lot of great games so DAI winning isn't much of a surprise. If DAI was released in 2015 it wouldn't even make the top 3.
    Yes, the Souls series has lowkey become annualized although that will likely stop after Dark Souls III. Dark Souls PTD and PC release in 2013, Dark Souls II in 2014, Bloodborne in 2015, and then Dark Souls III in 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post

....Oh god. I respect CDPR but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. We'll see of course but I don't really think the world of The Witcher was all that interesting. I thought it was seeing it through Geralt's eyes that made it amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

....Oh god. I respect CDPR but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. We'll see of course but I don't really think the world of The Witcher was all that interesting. I thought it was seeing it through Geralt's eyes that made it amazing.
    I'm pretty much the opposite. I enjoyed the world but thought Geralt was the 2nd worst thing of the game (the worst was the combat)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty much the opposite. I enjoyed the world but thought Geralt was the 2nd worst thing of the game (the worst was the combat)
    I think Geralt is the perfect character for The Witcher 3. He is bland enough that you feel a certain ownership of the story but he still has enough personality that his influence is still felt no matter what choices you choose. He's a pretty bland guy who is surrounded by a lot of interesting people and events. He is written perfectly for that role.

Regardless I am mostly ignorant of the books but it is my understanding that the events of the Witcher trilogy are roughly taken from the books and I would imagine that if they are allowing you to create your own character then they will likely be creating the new material themselves and that never goes well.

A game with Ciri as the main character would be 1000 times more interesting.

Ciri would be too powerful no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ciri would be too powerful no?
    She's not OP when you play her in TW3. Plus they could tell her backstory and what she was doing after she got separated from Geralt and Yennifer. She can also go to different dimensions. There's a lot you could do with her character but at the end of the day she is still an established character with her own personality. I feel like if they go the character creation route it will bog down the character like how they handled it in Fallout 4. Perhaps not quite that bad but I don't think we'll see the quality of writing as we saw in the Witcher trilogy if we get a created character. Unless they go the Commander Shepard route and have a pretty established character that you can create and have a little more freedom with the personality.

At the end of the day though I'd honestly be fine if the Witcher ends here. I love the games but I don't want them to drag the series into the ground just because they have a good thing going. We'll see though.

At the end of the day though I'd honestly be fine if the Witcher ends here. I love the games but I don't want them to drag the series into the ground just because they have a good thing going. We'll see though.
    That is why I'd like to see us develop our own character in their world. I'd be ok with them not continuing the series (although reading that article seems to indicate they will have more games set in the world).

I'm excited to see what they will do with Cyberpunk 2077. It's much more interesting to me than another fantasy game.

Aww, I would have loved if they went ahead and had given us Ciri to play with. But if they manage, in their continued evolution of the franchise, to not only make a good rpg and open world after the last installment, but also an open character, I could dig that. Though Geralt and many of the other characters are a huge appeal, writing many new iconic characters is going to be tough.

10+ Year Old Account
    She's not OP when you play her in TW3. Plus they could tell her backstory and what she was doing after she got separated from Geralt and Yennifer. She can also go to different dimensions. There's a lot you could do with her character but at the end of the day she is still an established character with her own personality. I feel like if they go the character creation route it will bog down the character like how they handled it in Fallout 4. Perhaps not quite that bad but I don't think we'll see the quality of writing as we saw in the Witcher trilogy if we get a created character. Unless they go the Commander Shepard route and have a pretty established character that you can create and have a little more freedom with the personality.

Ciri isn't OP when you play as her throughout the game in short bursts, but id argue she certainly is by the end of the game.

Aside, I think the fact the game effectively has 3 different endings might present an issue with using Ciri as a playable character. If they can pull off a compelling narrative with a custom character in Cyberpunk, they might opt to go the same route in future Witcher games, but how that turns out remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Hilarious since you're trying to back up a guy calling TGA a joke because he didn't agree with them. Oh man, you should really read before you post.
    Wasn't backing anyone up. Merely pointing out how stupid and subjectively defensive you get about everything that comes out of your mouth.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2015-12-05 at 12:30 PM.

Ciri is by far the most powerful humanoid in the Witcher universe. She'd be crazy OP and nothing short of demigods like Gaunter O'Dimm would prove a threat to her.

Hell, I doubt G.O.D. can world jump like she can.

What they need to do is show that the Second Conjunction made Witchers be needed once more. At the end of Witcher 3 we have monsters invading the world again, so bam.

If I were CDPR I'd make the protagonist a Witcher from the School of the Griffin give to them in his youth that finds out he has mage heritage as he grows up. We get to play a Witcher without mutations that can use magic to make up for his lack of Witcher abilities.

Something like Vilgefortz, the main antagonist of the books ( he's a Wizard that used to be a mercenary and combines swordsmanship and magic. He's extremely OP and beats up Geralt, Yennefer and a Higher Vampire at the same time )

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Ciri isn't OP when you play as her throughout the game in short bursts, but id argue she certainly is by the end of the game.

Aside, I think the fact the game effectively has 3 different endings might present an issue with using Ciri as a playable character. If they can pull off a compelling narrative with a custom character in Cyberpunk, they might opt to go the same route in future Witcher games, but how that turns out remains to be seen.
    SPOILERS!
    Besides the death ending (which let's be honest is mostly to tell you how shit you are) you could pull her out of her little castle in Nilfgaard at any time. This is the witcher franchise, if the game doesn't involve an underlying political plot, then it's not done right tbh. They didn't mention her powers at the end of the game in any way either, so for all we know she might have lost a lot of them when confronting the white frost. Writing her as the main character is easy in that regard.. I would really like to have more of the battle mage style of hers for fighting, witcher signs have become rather dull and I doubt they would let us actually play a proper mage in that universe, even though that would be the most awesome thing for me . So I at least would probably have a ton of fun based on that premise. But I can see how they might want to put everything surrounding Geralt to rest - in that regard I have a lot of respect for CDPR, they told the story of Geralt they wanted to tell, now it's time to move on.

- - - Updated - - -

What they need to do is show that the Second Conjunction made Witchers be needed once more. At the end of Witcher 3 we have monsters invading the world again, so bam.

If I were CDPR I'd make the protagonist a Witcher from the School of the Griffin give to them in his youth that finds out he has mage heritage as he grows up. We get to play a Witcher without mutations that can use magic to make up for his lack of Witcher abilities.

Something like Vilgefortz, the main antagonist of the books ( he's a Wizard that used to be a mercenary and combines swordsmanship and magic. He's extremely OP and beats up Geralt, Yennefer and a Higher Vampire at the same time )
    Admittedly, that sounds awesome as well. Though I can still see how this might be really hard to pull off in an equally compelling way like they did with the character of Geralt.

They just need to settle for a premade character. Compare the quality of Witcher 3's voiced protagonist to Fallout 4's. Light years.

They just need to settle for a premade character. Compare the quality of Witcher 3's voiced protagonist to Fallout 4's. Light years.
    It seems the appeal would be in making your own character though, more like in dragon age with a few select voice actors. I would expect a new fixed character to be quite controversial - definitely not impossible, but certainly difficult to get right. Well I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, if they continue to improve with each iteration like so far, then I could see them pulling it off. As long as they don't start to dumb the game down on the RPG parts like Bethesda did with Fallout 4, then I'm eager to see where this goes. Their Cyperpunk game might be an indicator where things are headed - I'm still hoping they achieve their own Deus Ex with that .

different type of games, don't think you can compare

different type of games
    Pretty fucking sure they're Open World RPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    different type of games, don't think you can compare
    Umm they are both open world RPGs. The only genre they don't share is FPS and Action because they have different combat. You can't compare the combat but you can certainly compare everything else and in terms of dialog, story, and choices The Witcher 3 wins in every way.

It seems the appeal would be in making your own character though, more like in dragon age
    Please no. Dragon Age hasn't been good since Origins.

I'm willing to lose the ability to create a self insert if it means getting a better story. Most people use the char creation to put themselves in the fantasy world, anyway. No loss there.