10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Dunno, I found HoS to be weak. And short to boot. The whole story felt forced and overly dramatic. And contrived.

The wedding part was amusing, but forgettable. Also railroaded sex scene at the end, which can only be avoided by refusing right before, as opposed to being based on the whole day.
    Apart from that, I did not enjoy that all of it is basically you having no control and doing what you are said. #NotMyGeralt
    Overall, if you don't have EE, I would not recommend buying HoS.

Still playing BaW, done with side activities and finishing (starting, really) main story now. Have to say, location is amazing, and story makes some sense this time. Not to mention it's a lot more like the base game, but improved on.

Yeah BaW is indeed longer but let us be honest the villain of HoS is super awesome and one of the best of video games history. Really really awesome without spoiler but the moment we saw the villain for the first time it was something like "Ohh that person!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yeah BaW is indeed longer but let us be honest the villain of HoS is super awesome and one of the best of video games history. Really really awesome without spoiler but the moment we saw the villain for the first time it was something like "Ohh that person!"
    Well, we might differ as to who was the villain of that story. Cause I dealt with a businessman and a spoiled child. But I found both of them irritating above all else.

Dunno, I found HoS to be weak. And short to boot. The whole story felt forced and overly dramatic. And contrived.

The wedding part was amusing, but forgettable. Also railroaded sex scene at the end, which can only be avoided by refusing right before, as opposed to being based on the whole day.
    Apart from that, I did not enjoy that all of it is basically you having no control and doing what you are said. #NotMyGeralt

Still playing BaW, done with side activities and finishing (starting, really) main story now. Have to say, location is amazing, and story makes some sense this time. Not to mention it's a lot more like the base game, but improved on.
    I hope you like Buffy then and that makeup on vampires

Interesting. I found HoS to be far more interesting and entertaining from a story standpoint. I found BaW to be rather boring and cliche in comparison. However, both are top notch DLCs and put most other DLCs nowadays to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Because I want to? Because that's how I enjoy playing games? Because I'm not a teenager that measures my self-worth by playing games? Because I don't give a monkey's fart what keyboard warriors such as yourself think?

Actually, it's mainly 'cos I'm crap at games - playing on the easiest setting and I've already died a couple of times in the starter area around Whitehaven

On a different note I have another question - I've brewed a couple of alchemy potions, I notice that when I do so the recipe disappears from my list - does this mean I can only brew each one once only in the whole game? I assume not, so I'm guessing I have to find/buy the recipe each time I want to brew it?
    I super love the Witcher and have beaten it 100% completion three times. First time was on easy, loved it. Second time on Normal, loved it. Third time NG+ on hard, loved it. You do you.

Who's the villain in HoS? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Who's the villain in HoS? :P
    GoD. He is the villain in HoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    GoD. He is the villain in HoS.
    Holy shit, I didn't realize it till you wrote the name like that. Is the name intentional then?
    4/12/292277026596 15:30:08

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbar View Post
    Holy shit, I didn't realize it till you wrote the name like that. Is the name intentional then?
    Yup haha but in reality he is more like the devil of the Witcher series than a GoD

He is also appeared in the main game long before the release of the dlc. At the pub where he told Geralt about Yennefer then he suddenly disappeared which was kinda strange how fast he was gone but back then we didn't pay attention as much because he was just a minor character. So when he came back in HoS it was brilliant and masterpiece imo

Yup haha but in reality he is more like the devil of the Witcher series than a GoD

He is also appeared in the main game long before the release of the dlc. At the pub where he told Geralt about Yennefer then he suddenly disappeared which was kinda strange how fast he was gone but back then we didn't pay attention as much because he was just a minor character. So when he came back in HoS it was brilliant and masterpiece imo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Twardowski here you go, if you want to find references aboud Man of Glass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually about to start my third or fourth time with this game. I think I finally figured out what irritates me the most with it - the controls. I've been trying with the KB + Mouse setup as I usually do, but after spending so much time playing Dark Souls 3 with a controller, I think I'm going to see if I enjoy TW3 with a controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Well, we might differ as to who was the villain of that story. Cause I dealt with a businessman and a spoiled child. But I found both of them irritating above all else.
    I think O'Dimm was interesting right up until he pointlessly does something eeeevil just so that the player turns against him. Like, there is no other way to interpret that one action that I won't spoil. I'd rather he had kept the businessman act. Olgierd indeed lost much of my sympathy when one learns that he really was kind of a total jackass even before he made the pact. They kind of deserve each other.

Blood and Wine's main plot isn't that bad, but I found the motivation of the main villain to be on the weak side, they come across as petty more than anything else. But the side-quests in that DLC alone put most main games to shame so it's alright in the end.

Reading through this thread has actually been a really good experience since I haven't played any of the games in the Witcher series yet but plan to very soon. Would you guys recommend playing through the first and second one as necessary for the story or can they be skipped?

Witcher1.... its..... I guess an acquired taste. I remember when I bought w1 and w2 from a steam sale. I started witcher1 and found it... absolutely attrociously terrible. I didnt touch it in months. Then I tried again attempting to ignore the system and just use it best I could. Eventually I got used to it and it made far more sense. That and at begining you are very weak... I had to abuse some probably not intended gameplay mechanics to pass a boss because I didnt know of a trick that makes it easier and that you cant go back to do. Ect.

Witcher1. You will hate it at first. I tell you you will hate it. Then, if you ever come back, you will compromise and just suddenly you find yourself playing it trough without much problems.

Witcher2 is already better. Far better. It has still some control problems and the horrifying inventory, but its pretty good.

Witcher3. Best game I have ever played.

As for the order. The quality of each part could be described above. If you want to do them in quality order then thats it. There are very few storyline things that just sort of get mentioned over. If you do play witcher1, then load that save to witcher2 and then load that to witcher3 there are some interesting mentions along the way, but none of it actually matters.
    Therefore you can play them in any order.
    When I make a "new save" I tend to start right from the start, witcher1. But that is just me tormenting myself. Choose the order yourself.
    Last edited by Morae; 2018-03-31 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Just finished BaW (lvl 64 not on ng+, lol), and I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than HoS. Sure, the story had no DRAMATIC PLOT TWISTS or something, but it was a nicely paced and well told, and that's much more enjoyable imho.

But I must say, it is bullshit when final boss suddenly starts ignoring game rules and mechanics you relied on the whole game.

Just finished BaW (lvl 64 not on ng+, lol), and I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than HoS. Sure, the story had no DRAMATIC PLOT TWISTS or something, but it was a nicely paced and well told, and that's much more enjoyable imho.

But I must say, it is bullshit when final boss suddenly starts ignoring game rules and mechanics you relied on the whole game.
    Because boss is straight form the anime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Because boss is straight form the anime.
    Oh come on... it's not that bad tbh...when you see vampires in Twilights some people will say "OMG they ruined vampires they made them g** and stuff like that"

When they make them dark brutal vicious then some people will say "OMG this is anime stuff"

What do you want really? :P

Oh come on... it's not that bad tbh...when you see vampires in Twilights some people will say "OMG they ruined vampires they made them g** and stuff like that"

When they make them dark brutal vicious then some people will say "OMG this is anime stuff"

I think his initial form is plenty Vampiric. The second one is fine too. Whatever the hell his third form is supposed to be is a bit over-the-top for The Witcher. Also the person saying that he breaks the game's mechanics is kind of right, that one attack from the second form being basically the only thing in the entire game you can't dodge with a roll is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raserisk View Post
    Reading through this thread has actually been a really good experience since I haven't played any of the games in the Witcher series yet but plan to very soon. Would you guys recommend playing through the first and second one as necessary for the story or can they be skipped?
    Storywise i would consider the first one to be the least relevant, while it obviously starts off the story, Witcher 2 does bring you the fundamental points early on to understand the story.
    Witcher 2 is kinda relevant to understand a rather massive sideplot of Witcher 3, while Witcher 3 also tries to explain this, it's not as good for someone totally new to the Witcher Universe (or game series).

Lastly, the first one has rather bad gameplay, the second one is at least passable but most certainly makes up with it's story.
    In a vacuum i enjoyed the main plot of Witcher 2 more than Witcher 3.

Witcher 2 however has the massive disadvantage of having one of the worst prologue stages i have ever played in a video game, on easier difficulties you can just brute force your way through it but on higher difficulties it's one of the most difficult points in the entire game.

Well, for starters, those vampires are straight from Buffy. Look at their faces man?

Secondly, vampires in witcher universe looked normal, they didnt have any "beast mode" which changed their physical appearance. I talk about higher vampires ofc.

There was also no bullshit rules like "only vampire can kill a vampire" created solely to justify fan service.