[Movies] The Silence of the Lambs

I watched this again for the first time in like 15 years and I really loved it and understood it much more than I did the first time around (being alot older and knowledgable helps)

Anyway I researched and saw there was a prequel "Red Dragon" & a sequel "Hannibal" & was wondering if anyone has seen them and if they are worth watching as I really don't want to bother if they are dismal in comparison to the SOTL which imo was phenomenal.

I know Jodie Foster is replaced by Julianne Moore as Clarice in Hannibal & I don't mind her.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I really enjoyed both "Red Dragon" and "Hannibal". Hopkins has a fantastic performance and it build suspense on the same level. Hopkins also get much more screen time in "Hannibal"(not that he needs it. He has 16 minutes in Silence of the lambs and it is just breathtaking how he really fills the film) and it explores the universe a bit better.

If you are only gonna watch one of them i suggest Hannibal. But you really should delve fully into this universe. Even the Hannibal: Rising wasnt that bad.

I enjoyed "Red Dragon". There's actually an earlier film called "Manhunter" which was based off the book "Red Dragon". Of the 3 I'd say "Hannibal" is unquestionably the worst of the films because of no Jodie Foster.

Then there's "Hannibal Rising", which wasn't a bad film.

Deleted
    "Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?"

The movie is just beyond good.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    "Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?"

The movie is just beyond good.
    "It puts da lotion on da skin, or it gets da hose again."

That movie is fantastic, although none of the others are bad. I wouldn't say they compare to the original Silence of the Lambs.

I thought I read somewhere that they used the book, in a course teaching FBI agents. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Silence of the Lambs scared the fuck out of me as a kid.
    Don't know if I could make myself watch it again, even as an adult.

i saw red dragon. it's entertaining, and i'd consider it a really good movie... if it wasnt having to live up to silence of the lambs. silence is just too tough an act to follow
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

15+ Year Old Account
    Red Dragon is quite good, but I don't think Hannibal was very good at all. Keep your eyes open there are two, yes two, different series based around the characters. One, "Hannibal" premiered last night, and is a somewhat prequel to the events of Red Dragon. From what I seen of the trailer it looks pretty good. I'll be watching it tomorrow. The other series in development is "Clarice". Obviously it's meant to be based around Clarice Starling after Silence of the Lambs but prior to the events of Hannibal. I'm not really sure how good this will be, especially if they decide to leave Lecter out of this series.

Deleted
    Hannibal - mediocre film, but within it... omg, the music! It contains the piece Vide Cor Meum by Patrick Cassidy and Hans Zimmer which has to be one of the most sublime pieces of music ever made!

I have not seen Red Dragon though.

Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-06 at 04:20 AM.

I think Red Dragon is pretty good, but not as good as Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal is much worse than both of those, imo.

Red Dragon is interesting because while it has a similar skeleton of a plot compared to Silence (FBI agent seeks serial killer's help to catch serial killer), the relationship between Lector and the FBI agent is so much different. And it also focuses more on the "bad guy" than Silence did, getting into his history, motives, etc. I find him a lot more interesting than Buffalo Bill actually.

Plus, Phillip Seymour Hoffman!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed the pilot for Hannibal, really well acted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen all of them and I enjoyed every one of them. I don't like horror movies but they're just so well done and the horror is more imaginative and subtle (for lack of a better word) than the in your face style that has taken over.

Red Dragon is worth watching. If you can find Manhunter that is also worth watching. I really enjoyed Manhunter, it has that 80's Miami Vice feel to it which makes it an interesting watch. Hannibal is kind of pointless and not really worth watching except for the creepy bad guy in it, who I thought was pretty interesting. Hannibal Rising is cool, although doesnt really feel like a "Silence of the Lambs" type movie. Hannibal Rising tries to establish an origin story for Lector which is kind of interesting. There are actually some parts in Hannibal Rising that are very hard to watch (I wont post any spoilers here, but I will say it involves Lecters sister). The Hannibal television show looks promising based on the first episode.

I thoroughly love the original three movies. I would give them the following ratings:

Silence of the Lambs - 9.5/10 (loses 0.5 pts for me because Jodie Foster...)
    Red Dragon - 10/10 (I enjoyed Will's relationship to Hannibal more than Clarice's, also I thought Ralph Fiennes' character and performance were fantastic to watch)
    Hannibal - 7/10 (I personally like Julianne Moore but the dynamics in the movie weren't as edgy and thrilling in my opinion)

I just watched the pilot for Hannibal, the new tv show a few hours ago. It was awesome and I think it has great potential!

TLR, if you enjoy Ralph Fiennes, Anthony Hopkins and Edward Nortan, I urge you to watch Red Dragon as I feel it is at worst on par with Silence of the Lambs.

really didnt like hannibal as much as silence of the lambs.. i hate it when films have a diff actor for the main character.. it totally throws off the movie imo.. anyway Moore did ok but the plot didnt seem as good..

Hannibal Rising is a great film though, nice and violent but well done. it shows how the boy turned into the monster.