MMORPG for Minecraft?

Hey Guys,
    I have enjoyed MMORPGs for years and I'd love to create one for Minecraft. I have been pondering over the idea of a MMORPG in the style of Skyrim/Runescape but I find that an impossible task without help from both communities. I'd need a dedicated staff to help with many tasks including building, modding, textures and much more. But before any of that I need YOUR support to make my dream, a reality. I have many ideas for this but spread the word and that would help a tonne.

Thanks,
    Lord Elf

http://shaboozey.com/

Jesse Cox has been working on an MMO for Minecraft - Youtube his videos "RPG Makers" and he has build days and everything.

"Sorry guys- it's hotkeyed onto my mouse..."

Didn't know.

This won't be his though. Or a remix. Or a spin-off. This will be by the community for the community.
    Last edited by Lord Elf; 2013-04-05 at 04:29 PM.

I meant, if you're super dedicated, you can become active over there, and try to give them a hand or whatever. It would save you a lot of hassle, or at least, watch through their videos so you can see the task you're getting into.

"Sorry guys- it's hotkeyed onto my mouse..."

Thanks for the pointers.

Deleted
    It seems difficult to create a good MMORPG server in Minecraft - there should be a lot of players if you want to create fractions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know its not the same but there is Cube World.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

I do not really get the idea of what you want to say now :S

If you want any sort of effective MMO in a Minecraft-based thing, there's one thing you need to do first:

Rewrite the entire game.

Seriously, the server is a steaming pile of singled-threaded java garbage. Not exactly the sort of thing you'd want to mod into a supporting any reasonable number of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are tons of plugins you could use to do change the game wouldnt have to rewrite

Quote Originally Posted by Hinmeow View Post
    There are tons of plugins you could use to do change the game wouldnt have to rewrite
    None of those affect the core of the server where the performance issues are.

Seriously, you can't expect a server to perform well if everything has to happen in a synchronous, single-threaded fashion. The fact that people are having to host the game on such monstrous machines just to support a small handful of people is kinda pathetic, to be honest.

Especially since it's basically a scam anyway; anything more than 2 cores is pretty much wasted, and you only get marginal gains from increasing memory and/or disk speed. I mean, the game is super simple; why does it require more hardware than, say, a 64-player BF3 server?

Because it's a steaming pile of single-threaded java shit, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    None of those affect the core of the server where the performance issues are.

Seriously, you can't expect a server to perform well if everything has to happen in a synchronous, single-threaded fashion. The fact that people are having to host the game on such monstrous machines just to support a small handful of people is kinda pathetic, to be honest.

Especially since it's basically a scam anyway; anything more than 2 cores is pretty much wasted, and you only get marginal gains from increasing memory and/or disk speed. I mean, the game is super simple; why does it require more hardware than, say, a 64-player BF3 server?

Because it's a steaming pile of single-threaded java shit, that's why.
    If you dont like it why you post here ??

One such is MCMMO, it has skillups and the sort, very fun to play and a lot of servers use it.

If you dont like it why you post here ??
    I like it. It's just terribly coded. I can like a game, and dislike how it's written, you know

The coding style is fine for a single-player game; but now that it's become a multiplayer thing, the server needs to be re-written in the style of an actual server, not just a hacked-together adaptation of the single-player client.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I like it. It's just terribly coded. I can like a game, and dislike how it's written, you know

The coding style is fine for a single-player game; but now that it's become a multiplayer thing, the server needs to be re-written in the style of an actual server, not just a hacked-together adaptation of the single-player client.
    1.7 has introduced a rewrite of most of the netcode. Mojang keeps reworking parts of the game from awful Notch code to way better code each update.

10+ Year Old Account
    McMMO with few other plugins can achieve the "MMORPG" feel.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    1.7 has introduced a rewrite of most of the netcode. Mojang keeps reworking parts of the game from awful Notch code to way better code each update.
    Oh haha, he was a bad coder? I guess he has really lucked out. Dude must be super rich.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombre Lobo View Post
    Oh haha, he was a bad coder? I guess he has really lucked out. Dude must be super rich.
    Well. He did code a game in Java....

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Yeah, I noticed they moved to a pre-built package of some kind.

I still think the single greatest gains they could ever possibly get is to rewrite the entire thing from scratch, as a proper game engine.

I'd argue that they could fork the codebase (client and server) and just rewrite the server, so they could keep the portability of Java on the client end... but they're not even taking advantage of that, so yeah, rewrite all the things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre Lobo View Post
    He was a terrible coder, but he put together a very addicting game... Which is actually pretty commonplace in a lot of games, to be honest.