Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you find Garrosh to be a compelling villain?

just curious. They're really going overdrive with EvilGarrosh, but i wonder if you find him to be a compelling antagonist.

Does he get under your skin, do you love to hate him? How do you feel about this guy?

10+ Year Old Account
    I found him to be a more compelling, organic character during Cataclysm. He was showing great development and growth.

Then came... Snidley Whiplash Garrosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

His only vision is extremely distant, he doesnt see reactions to his actions, doesnt have sense of strategy or logistics,...

He is an idiot, one of many, no different from what we kill in raids.

I've always found him to be a horribly boring, cliche badass, now turned evil. I'm glad we're getting rid of him.

Not so much the character, but more so what he's done.

I'm curious to see how 5.3 will work out with him. Hopefully his development will be final and great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosege View Post
    just curious. They're really going overdrive with EvilGarrosh, but i wonder if you find him to be a compelling antagonist.

Does he get under your skin, do you love to hate him? How do you feel about this guy?
    I don't know if he's a compelling villain, but he's definitely not a compelling "hero" or "leader" either and fits the villain role much better.

I've always hated his ass, him and his father for that matter, but I haven't played horde for awhile now and Garrosh isn't really a sight I have to deal with a whole lot. If anything, alliance who purely plays alliance have little to no connection to garrosh, or a reason to hate him, other than that he's the warchief of the faction they're fighting. That IMO is definitely a concern.

That said, Varian isn't much better. Wouldn't it be wonderful if in the last fight we just pit the two of them against each other and neither of them survive?
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-04-05 at 05:24 PM.

Not at all. I couldn't care less about him, honestly. He doesn't really have anything that makes him "stand out" to me; he blends in with every other random bad guy. The last villain I would really consider compelling would be Arthas/The Lich King. Being an Alliance player, I don't know what he's like from a Horde perspective. Maybe I'd find him more compelling if I was a member of the Horde, I dunno.

I do feel he is a compelling villain. He walks the line between "do anything for his people at all costs" and "power-mad tyrant".
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    About as compelling as a compost heap honestly... And about as intelligent.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosege View Post

I find him to (so far) be one of the best villains that World of Warcraft (not the entire lore, just WoW) has ever had. Just look at his actions so far:
    - Seriously wounding Anduin Wrynn
    - Turning Darkspear land (practically) into ghettos'
    - The attempted killing of Vol'jin
    - (accidentally) Killing Cairne Bloodhoof
    - Knowingly letting the Ragefire Chasm cultists experiment with Fel Orcs inside RFC

And from what we've seen/heard about 5.3 so far, his descent is only going to continue.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Not really. Far too many 180's for me. At this rate he might reach transcendence before SOO, and become new thrall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. He's been the most predictable character in WoW since Tides of War, going from one low to another. And another. And another.

He does have a talent for evoking hatred though. The problem is that a lot of that hatred isn't based on his actions or role in the story, but the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing surrounding him.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    I find him to (so far) be one of the best villains that World of Warcraft (not the entire lore, just WoW) has ever had. Just look at his actions so far:
    - Seriously wounding Anduin Wrynn
    - Turning Darkspear land (practically) into ghettos'
    - The attempted killing of Vol'jin
    - (accidentally) Killing Cairne Bloodhoof
    - Knowingly letting the Ragefire Chasm cultists experiment with Fel Orcs inside RFC

And from what we've seen/heard about 5.3 so far, his descent is only going to continue.
    That bit is incorrect though. Ragefire Chasm is currently overun by Twilight's Hammer Dark Shaman who are trying to infuse Elemental Ascendants and Orcs (that's why they are red and look like Fel Orcs) and Garrosh sends a team to dispatch them.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The thing I like about Garrosh is how sharply he puts into relief Thrall's contrasting role as a peacemaker in a warrior's culture. Through Garrosh's volatility and vitriol, I've come to appreciate the really unique casting of Thrall: an intelligent, unifying shaman seeking only peace for his people and his allies. Orcs aren't supposed to be like that... They're kind of "supposed" to be like Garrosh. I was really moved when some of the tensions came to the surface (in one of the 5.1 scenarios I believe) and Thrall pondered his next move, saying that it would do no good to just become a dictator. Adding to that, the trolls poised to break out in open rebellion against Garrosh just underscores the delicate balancing act Thrall has played over the preceding years in consolidating the Horde.

It kind of makes Thrall look like a Bismarck to Garrosh's Kaiser Wilhelm II. Briefly, Otto von Bismarck was the German statesman who through the very careful crafting of alliances and the judicious use of force unified the disparate German states into the German Empire in 1871; Kaiser Wilhelm II was the warmongering and reckless emperor who destroyed the fledgling empire by in large part precipitating World War I and rushing the young German state headlong into war.

TL;DR: I think Garrosh is a compelling villain for showing how magnanimous, humble and wise Thrall has been as a leader of the Horde. Garrosh is a great villain for demonstrating what a hero his counterpart is.
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-04-05 at 05:47 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, he's a stale and cliche Fantasy Hitler. Lei Shen should have been the final boss.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    A character whos personality has been up and down like a yoyo since day one. It doesn't make for a compelling character, it just makes them convoluted.

Well a character like Arthas was one with consistency and developed along in stages of normal, to desperate, to borderline mad, to outright twisted, and finally the lord of all evil. With Garrosh is was like "I'm sad.. now i'm mad.. now i'm confused.. now i'm scheming.. now i'm honorable.. now I'm dishonorable"
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-04-05 at 05:50 PM.

I never liked him, the only part of his story that I've liked at all was Thrall going to Nagrand to tell him of Grom's redemption.

I found him to be a compelling leader that made me all the more proud to play Horde.

I do not find him to be a compelling forced villain that I have to fight whether I want to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A character whos personality has been up and down like a yoyo since day one. It doesn't make for a compelling character, it just makes them convoluted
    Exactly. He had potential to be an interesting character at the start of Cataclysm but ended up being little more than a noisy cartoon super-villain

He's not the villain Azeroth wants... But the villain Azeroth needs.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?