Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Brewmaster Yuuki Asuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake Outside Coral Village
    Posts
    1,253

    [Megathread] Tales of Xillia

    Tales of Xillia is out now! - Released August 6th and August 9th in the West!

    Tales of Xillia is the 13th game in the Tales JRPG series as well as the title released for the series' 15th Anniversary

    I've been a fan of the Tales series for a long time, very happy to hear they're bringing more titles to the west!

    *Edit* Added some footage of the combat system in English!

    *Edit* Tales of Xillia 2 will be releasing in the west in 2014! [Source]

    Official trailer for Tales of Xillia!


    Here's the two openings to Tales of Xillia. You can pick between two main characters, Jude Mathis or Millia Maxwell. This video puts both openings together.


    A look at Tales of Xillia's battle system (English Gameplay -Updated August 9th)
    Last edited by Yuuki Asuna; 2013-08-09 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Replaced Japanese combat footage with English footage.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

  2. #2
    I remember finding out about it because Ayumi Hamasaki's progress song for it, and really wanted to play it.


    I wonder fi it'll be one the 360, since that's all I have.

  3. #3
    It looks flashy, looking at the combat it also seems you just stun-lock mobs to death?

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Yuuki Asuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake Outside Coral Village
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Ytlayol View Post
    It looks flashy, looking at the combat it also seems you just stun-lock mobs to death?
    Seems like it The combat system in the Tales games really makes the games fun!

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 05:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    I remember finding out about it because Ayumi Hamasaki's progress song for it, and really wanted to play it.


    I wonder fi it'll be one the 360, since that's all I have.
    It's really nice This game is only releasing on the PS3. The only Tales game to ever be released for the 360 was Tales of Vesperia. If you haven't tried that one yet, I definately recommend it!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

  5. #5
    i really love the tales of games, though graces was a disgrace in my eyes, never seen so much back tracking in a jrpg before where the story actually does that intentionally, namco bandai really should release each tales of games on every platform, heck even for pc, if they want more coverage, if they still release it like how they do in the west, it will always be obscure, tales of symp i believe in japan was also released for the ps2, though only gamecube in the west, nothing wrong with the cube, just only those who knew played it really
    i really wish for more success for them in the west, that way we get releases sooner from the jap releases, language conversion ofc pending from it

    also vesp is good

  6. #6
    Brewmaster Yuuki Asuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake Outside Coral Village
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    i really love the tales of games, though graces was a disgrace in my eyes, never seen so much back tracking in a jrpg before where the story actually does that intentionally, namco bandai really should release each tales of games on every platform, heck even for pc, if they want more coverage, if they still release it like how they do in the west, it will always be obscure, tales of symp i believe in japan was also released for the ps2, though only gamecube in the west, nothing wrong with the cube, just only those who knew played it really
    i really wish for more success for them in the west, that way we get releases sooner from the jap releases, language conversion ofc pending from it

    also vesp is good
    Vesperia is really good! The thing is, the 360 isn't really a RPG favored platform. I understand Namco Bandai's intentions of releasing the Tales games for the PS. The only reason the PS3 version of Vesperia didn't make it to the west was because of the sales from the 360 version. That's my guess.

    Graces F was one of my favorite Tales games! The backtracking wasn't 'that' bad. You did get your hours worth in the game. If more people keep supporting the Tales series in the west, we'll get more Tales. Maybe someday even a PS3 Vesperia import

    I have no doubt that Tales of Xillia 2 will be ported to the west in the next couple years. The main producer has stated last week that they intend to release more Tales games faster in the west than they have been doing. That means sales from the recent ports have done really well!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

  7. #7
    I miss the tales series so much, last one I played was symphonia because everything else is going to playstation....

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Yuuki Asuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake Outside Coral Village
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I miss the tales series so much, last one I played was symphonia because everything else is going to playstation....
    I actually got my PS3 only for the Tales series I ended up getting some other titles as well like Ni No Kuni. I'm a JRPG freak and it just wasn't working on the 360 for me :/
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

  9. #9
    not sure, think vesp was meant to be a xbox exclusive, prob for namco to dabble on the xbox,, at the mo, with how much these games cost, unless the console manufacturer signs an exclusive deal, they all really should release the games as many formats as possible, it financially makes sense, opens up more of a market. mean they did release a superb game for the cube, as opposed to the ps2 in the west, if you consider which sold more units. I still dont get why they dont release pc versions, or even a digital download for us, wont cost them anything much to publish, that be just amazing really

    im pretty much a jrpg freak as well, im gunning for more star oceans and a skies of arcadia sequel or just something in its vein as well

  10. #10
    Brewmaster Yuuki Asuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake Outside Coral Village
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    not sure, think vesp was meant to be a xbox exclusive, prob for namco to dabble on the xbox,, at the mo, with how much these games cost, unless the console manufacturer signs an exclusive deal, they all really should release the games as many formats as possible, it financially makes sense, opens up more of a market. mean they did release a superb game for the cube, as opposed to the ps2 in the west, if you consider which sold more units. I still dont get why they dont release pc versions, or even a digital download for us, wont cost them anything much to publish, that be just amazing really

    im pretty much a jrpg freak as well, im gunning for more star oceans and a skies of arcadia sequel or just something in its vein as well
    Yeah I'm not saying you're wrong I would love these games to be ported to other consoles or PC. I think you're right about them experimenting with the 360. It seems like the audience in Japan prefer anything on Nintendo and PS3 over the 360. That's a reason why I think Square Enix was with Sony and Nintendo for awhile until Final Fantasy XIII when they ported to 360. I'm sure if they get more marketing and fanbase, they can do more with other consoles. In the artile I posted on the OP, he states that the 360 and Wii U ports are not talked about atm. So maybe with some success of the series and others they offer, they'll be ported to other systems. I think Graces F on the PS3 proved to be a great selling point for the Tales series to keep going to have Xillia come to the west. But let us keep our fingers crossed to hope they do decide one day to port to other systems
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,927
    Awesome. Just started graces f. They said we'd get xillia 2 if we bought 1 so I hope people buy it. Don't really know how I feel about the combat though. I didn't like graces at first but now I think it's the best so far. I know xillia is a mixture of the two but still.

  12. #12
    Pandaren Monk vep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Shininglight View Post
    Seems like it The combat system in the Tales games really makes the games fun!

    Ok, I'm sorry but watching the videos, the combat system looks horrible. It looks like it's all automatic. And it's just not as engaging as it could/should be. And ofcourse, let's not forget it's totally "Asian" - lots of flashy moves, your character takes no damage, enemies are stunlocked to death.... Meh.

  13. #13
    The combat is just mobs standing there while you attack them. I don't get it.

    Edit: Watched the English voice gameplay vid. The combat looks horrible. Every time you encounter a mob it does a little Pokemon-style pause just to get into combat. Literally 3 seconds after the player goes through a battle, he jumps right into another one, just like walking through the grass in Pokemon. How does that not drive people crazy in this day and age?
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-04-06 at 09:51 AM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  14. #14
    yay cant wait for it :3 love the tales games.

    because of the combat: these guys are trash mobs. they are easy. thats why they are stunlocked to death. boss enemys are immun to it mostly or got a DR.

    here is the first boss (the very first one is more of a tutorial battle) battle starts at 4:00


    also random battles are absolutly normal in jrpgs. you can hate it or love it or you just dont care because your used to it ;p

    edit: they arent absolutly random. you see the enemys and you can avoid them.
    Last edited by Pion; 2013-04-06 at 10:13 AM.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The combat is just mobs standing there while you attack them. I don't get it.

    Edit: Watched the English voice gameplay vid. The combat looks horrible. Every time you encounter a mob it does a little Pokemon-style pause just to get into combat. Literally 3 seconds after the player goes through a battle, he jumps right into another one, just like walking through the grass in Pokemon. How does that not drive people crazy in this day and age?
    See below. The enemies appear on the field and you don't have to fight them, you can just run by them. I'm tired of random encounters as anyone is.

    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry but watching the videos, the combat system looks horrible. It looks like it's all automatic. And it's just not as engaging as it could/should be. And ofcourse, let's not forget it's totally "Asian" - lots of flashy moves, your character takes no damage, enemies are stunlocked to death.... Meh.
    Tales games are a lot harder than they look, especially the bosses. It's not terribly automatic since there are combos depending on what direction you're holding the analog stick and the same with artes. Also you're pretty fucked if you don't block most of the time.

  16. #16
    Brewmaster Yuuki Asuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake Outside Coral Village
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry but watching the videos, the combat system looks horrible. It looks like it's all automatic. And it's just not as engaging as it could/should be. And ofcourse, let's not forget it's totally "Asian" - lots of flashy moves, your character takes no damage, enemies are stunlocked to death.... Meh.
    Actually you're wrong. The combat system in Tales games is very complicated. You can die in battle if not done right with the right strategy. ALL skills in the games require some form form of skill. You would be surprised how hard it can be It's one of the things that make the series fun! It's not just sit there and press X all day...-.- You actually have to use a set of skills with X and O while using the analog stick in certain positions to perform a certain skill.

    THIS is ALL the skills JUDE can perform in the game! http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/ToX_-_Jude_Mathis:_Artes

    He has a total of 67 different skills or 'artes'


    ---------- Post added 2013-04-06 at 07:19 AM ----------

    Tales games are a lot harder than they look, especially the bosses. It's not terribly automatic since there are combos depending on what direction you're holding the analog stick and the same with artes. Also you're pretty fucked if you don't block most of the time.
    ^ This exactly!

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-06 at 07:21 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The combat is just mobs standing there while you attack them. I don't get it.

    Edit: Watched the English voice gameplay vid. The combat looks horrible. Every time you encounter a mob it does a little Pokemon-style pause just to get into combat. Literally 3 seconds after the player goes through a battle, he jumps right into another one, just like walking through the grass in Pokemon. How does that not drive people crazy in this day and age?
    That is how all tales games have been in the last decade. If you were a true traditional JRPG fan, you wouldn't mind this
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,518
    it wasn't enough to re-release tov on japanese ps3s with additional content

    they just had to go and punch us xbox 360 owners in the dick
    Sunglasses and Advil, last night was mad real. Sun coming up, 5 a.m., I wonder if they got cabs still?
    Thinking 'bout the girl in all leopard who was rubbing the wood like Kiki Shepherd
    Two tattoos: one read "No Apologies". The other said "Love is Cursed by Monogamy"

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire Raminax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    On the snarky side.
    Posts
    485
    Well, the combat system in the Tales games usually do have surprising depths, but they often also fall victim to finding a simple but powerful combo to repeat ad infinitum. But I guess that's a curse it has to live with unless it completely overhauls the whole arte system, what with learning simply stronger ones rather than different ones as you progress in the levels. Either way, depth but probably broken in two at some point.

    I'm just happy that they seem to have made mages (Well, at least Milla) interesting in Xillia. They were always awfully boring to play throughout the times. Though I don't know if I can be bothered digging in my memory for more worthwhile PS3 games, because I sure as hell aren't buying a new console for a single game.

  19. #19
    Dreadlord flarecde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Raminax View Post
    Though I don't know if I can be bothered digging in my memory for more worthwhile PS3 games, because I sure as hell aren't buying a new console for a single game.
    Same. The Tales series would almost be worth it, but the PS3 is at the end of it's lifecycle now too. I would buy a PS4 for sure to access some of these games but... no backwards compatibility.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Same. The Tales series would almost be worth it, but the PS3 is at the end of it's lifecycle now too. I would buy a PS4 for sure to access some of these games but... no backwards compatibility.
    Just wait a few months after the ps4 is out and the ps3's price will drop, like how it did with the ps2.

    Also I have been looking forward to this game for awhile now, honestly with Final Fantasy being meh at best this gen, the tales series is my pick for best JRPG.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •