10+ Year Old Account

Fire Mage low dps help please

Dear fellow Mages,

I am no mage myself, but a friend of mine she is desperately in need of help, she has really decent gear (513), but can't seems to do dps that is expected of her and she really couldn't find the issue (neither can the raid leader).

The raid leader's main is also a Mage (hers is group 2 where he uses his priest), with lesser gear but dps is much higher than her, and even he cannot say why.

Here is the log for the first fight, but feel free to look at other kills as well, except for kills that she is dead as no point to those really.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...e/?s=818&e=979

Her armoury:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rneilia/simple

Any help and pointer would be awesome, she is really upset and realy wanted to improve her dps.

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    Im not great at analyzing logs, but from the fight you linked - her combustions are very small. Especially on a fight where you can get some massive ignites in the pools. At least 4x smaller than they should be. Is she using an addon for tracking combustions?

Deleted
    Combustion seems very low in all fights. If she doesn't use an add-on to track her ignite, she should get one immediately (combustion ticks for 50% of the current ignite, so you can track ignite and hit combustion when it's a high number). Also, try and found out how she's building her ignite before using combustion, because I imagine she's doing something wrong there.

10+ Year Old Account
    She already uses addon to track it. (CombustionHelper)

She is using normal firemage opener, the problem is she is not critting enough, eventhough she has 40% crit self buffed.

Deleted
    tell the mage to watch this, best movie out there
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klp_A7vbyy8

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the biggest increases in dmg us mages can do is work on bomb uptime (I get mad at myself after every week when looking at my bomb uptime) Hers is mediocre (81.3 %) on that fight. Should be shooting for over 95%. But that fight is killed so fast she only has 83 spells cast the whole fight. Bloodlust was cast in the middle of the fight so if she was unlucky on procs during lust or is targeted by the orb then her dps will plummet in comparison to the people standing still there.

Looking at Megera, a bit easier fight to look at single target dps. Again her uptime is only about 80% on her mage bomb. Didn't pre pot, and seems her trinket procs aren't really well lined up with her alter times. Perhaps an addon like Power Auras would help her out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spoken to her about her opener.

Open with pot, evo buff and images. Hard cast Pryo with bomb, fireball until heated up, in perfect situation she would have instant pyro and heated up, then would pop alter time and pom. But her problem is if she doesnt crit, proc would be long gone, then most of her damage is gone.

But if RNG is that heavy, surely it would happen to other mages too? May be there is some way to counter the bad non crit RNG?

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    She already uses addon to track it. (CombustionHelper)

She is using normal firemage opener, the problem is she is not critting enough, eventhough she has 40% crit self buffed.

Tell her to get MyBigIgnite aswell, personally I find that to be the easiest to use and calculate the dmg on. Then I also got 2 others to track it aswell, but mainly im looking at the number on MyBigIgnite. And im on 9% less crit than her, and I would assume my RNG is worse than hers, yet its not that bad when it comes to proccing pyros.

From what I see it looks like she's getting plenty of Pyroblasts (cant compare with mine since none in the raid logs atm) But overall combustions could be better.

Deleted
    It can't be that RNG with this amount of gear.

Could you ask her why she is using living bomb ?
    Pyroblast uptime is very low, we killed megaera for the first time yesterday, and I had 35% crit selfbuffed, my uptime was a lot bigger. (and I suck at fire)
    My combustion were bigger too, which should not happen considering the gear difference.

I guess she fires pyroblast as soon as she has the proc. My understanding of the mechanic is that you have to way and have the two procs (Pyroblast! + Heating Up), continue to cast your fireball and fire the Pyroblast! at the same time.
    This will give you a much better chance to have a Pyroblast! proc again, and then you only have to crit once to do the same thing again and again.

Please ask her how she uses her pyroblast! procs, and if she wait to have Pyro! + HU proc before using them. I guess she doesnt.

And make her read the fire guide here ^^.

Deleted
    40% Crit self-buffed and doing crap dps? Tell her to read the Fire rotation again and to watch Vykina's opener video. That's all i can tell. The ilvl is just too high to suck on dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    [...] then would pop alter time and pom. [...]
    You probably meant to say this anyway, but it's better to cast pom then alter time afaik. It'll give you an extra PoM when alter time ends. You said she does it the other way around.

It's all about chaining dem pyros. Even though the PoM one has a smaller chance of critting, and is the last one to be cast in theory (unless extra procs). Sometimes it's better to combust before the last pyro hits, since it often won't crit and drop the ignite back down.