Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    High elves would need a brand new model, not just a blood elf rehash.

Also, those racials you gave it won't fly. needs some more thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedith View Post
    High elves would need a brand new model, not just a blood elf rehash.
    No, they wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It would be extremely easy to create new reasons for differences in physical appearance, and the revamping of character models would be the perfect opportunity to create a dichotomy between the two races.

Blood elves: Green eyes, darker hair, ruddier skin, more physically robust as a result of their reconnection with the Sunwell. They also gain the runic tattoos and taboo hairstyles that helped distinguished them from high elves in pre-BC lore.

High elves: Blue eyes, light hair and pale skin, more slight, but clearly still lithe and agile. Their customization options would be more traditional and restrained, such as modest piercings and simple hairstyles.

On top of this, the two races could be given completely different animations and postures, creating two distinct silhouettes.

I mean, I'm not one of those people who desperately wants high elves or ogres to be playable (I'd prefer neutral ethereals), but I definitely think they're the absolute best option for new faction-specific races.
    agreed Blizzard open a can of worms with Neutral Races and it is very likely to be used a lot more in upcoming expansions.Hell I would love to have a Ethereal Demon Hunter.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

It would be extremely easy to create new reasons for differences in physical appearance, and the revamping of character models would be the perfect opportunity to create a dichotomy between the two races.

Blood elves: Green eyes, darker hair, ruddier skin, more physically robust as a result of their reconnection with the Sunwell. They also gain the runic tattoos and taboo hairstyles that helped distinguished them from high elves in pre-BC lore.

High elves: Blue eyes, light hair and pale skin, more slight, but clearly still lithe and agile. Their customization options would be more traditional and restrained, such as modest piercings and simple hairstyles.

On top of this, the two races could be given completely different animations and postures, creating two distinct silhouettes.

I mean, I'm not one of those people who desperately wants high elves or ogres to be playable (I'd prefer neutral ethereals), but I definitely think they're the absolute best option for new faction-specific races.
    For one thing, I'm not suggesting that it's an impossible cause, merely saying that in terms of base physical build - the thing you first notice about something - they are identical.

Secondly, both races have access to the Sunwell, check the Quel'Delar questline. And most tattoos are on their body rather than their face, (if demon hunters are anything to judge by, and they are really the best way to do such) which shouldn't be forced.

The most prominent distinctions would be hair and the animation of the model, but the base models would have to by necessity of lore be identical unless something drastic happened.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Secondly, both races have access to the Sunwell, check the Quel'Delar questline.
    That was well before the current kerfuffle in Dalaran between the Sunreavers and Silver Covenant. I imagine the Sunwell is going to become a much more exclusive club.

And most tattoos are on their body rather than their face, (if demon hunters are anything to judge by, and they are really the best way to do such) which shouldn't be forced.
    Demon hunters aren't anything to judge by, those are "demon hunter tattoos." The only two blood elves to have blood elf tattoos in-game are Rommath and Tae'thelan Bloodwatcher. However, the tattoos have appeared in concept art and the blood elf on the Burning Crusade box art even has facial tattoos.

I'm not saying they should be required, but they should be available as an option.

The most prominent distinctions would be hair and the animation of the model, but the base models would have to by necessity of lore be identical unless something drastic happened.
    Again, it would be very simple to justify differences in build and even height.

Example: Here's a blood elf model from the Burning Crusade demo they had at Blizzcon 2005.

The physique is very different from the blood elves that made it into the game, closer to the "skinny" models that were in the earliest beta builds before the models were "buffed up," and of course the head was completely different.

My point is just that they can easily give the two races distinctly different physiques (with the high elves being more lithe and the blood elves more robust) without it "contradicting established lore" or even being a dramatic-looking difference.

Another example, showing just how much variance can be created with slight alterations to physique and posture. Just changing the Lich King's basic standing pose gave him a completely different silhouette. Thrall is still easily identifiable as an orc, though his build is clearly different from the playable model.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-04-10 at 07:47 PM.

That was well before the current kerfuffle in Dalaran between the Sunreavers and Silver Covenant. I imagine the Sunwell is going to become a much more exclusive club.
    Except that it would be very strange for a radical physical change to occur within the span of a couple months / even a year.

As well, considering that there was no physical changes to either group after the Sunwell was destroyed in the Third War, then its reigniting wouldn't really do much either, unless you can cite how holy energy could cause physical change (we have no evidence of this despite holy magic being used for centuries amongst humans).

Demon hunters aren't anything to judge by, those are "demon hunter tattoos." The only two blood elves to have blood elf tattoos in-game are Rommath and Tae'thelan Bloodwatcher. However, the tattoos have appeared in concept art and the blood elf on the Burning Crusade box art even has facial tattoos.
    Considering that demon hunter tattoos are used for similar purposes, yeah, they are.

They're also the only real prominent, fleshed out example of arcane tattoos in warcraft lore.

Again, it would be very simple to justify differences in build and even height.

Example: Here's a blood elf model from the Burning Crusade demo they had at Blizzcon 2005.

The physique is very different from the blood elves that made it into the game, closer to the "skinny" models that were in the earliest beta builds before the models were "buffed up," and of course the head was completely different.
    You're forgetting the lore saying that there's no difference in height or build and that aside from their eyes a simple change in hairstyle and attire would make a blood elf undetectable amongst a group of high elves.

Nor would I say that a snapshot of a model that was in development would warrant the negation of the written lore. It just means the artists didn't like how that model looked (probably because it was too similar to night elves if that image is anything to go by).

My point is just that they can easily give the two races distinctly different physiques (with the high elves being more lithe and the blood elves more robust) without it "contradicting established lore" or even being a dramatic-looking difference.
    Despite the lore saying "yeah there's no real significant physical difference as far as body mass goes?"

Nor are they really two entirely separate races. Their only differences, as has been mentioned many times, are mainly their political stances and their decision regarding the use of fel magic.

I sure as hell hope we are not getting MORE elves in WoW. And if you really think Blizzard is going to introduce a race visually identical to the existing race and call it "new" - you don't know Blizzard well enough.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. Seeing that page and the art of the high elf used on it takes me back.
    There was a very well-made custom warcraft3 model on the old hiveworkshop page, made by Armel, based on it. Lets see if I can find it.

Ah, here he is.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/m...warmage-47419/
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-04-11 at 10:01 AM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.