Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Blood elves and High elves use some outdated models anyway. They look the same but there can be distinct differences. Eye color hair styles, personalitys, sizes, physical appearances
    But that's the thing. Those noticeable physical differences don't exist (as in size and general physiology). It's canon lore that the only significant physical differences are mainly their skin tone and eye color.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSouthUk View Post
    why does everybody keep talking abouyt this :O
    Because people want it to happen.

  2. #162
    The Lightbringer Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    But that's the thing. Those noticeable physical differences don't exist (as in size and general physiology). It's canon lore that the only significant physical differences are mainly their skin tone and eye color.
    It would be extremely easy to create new reasons for differences in physical appearance, and the revamping of character models would be the perfect opportunity to create a dichotomy between the two races.

    Blood elves: Green eyes, darker hair, ruddier skin, more physically robust as a result of their reconnection with the Sunwell. They also gain the runic tattoos and taboo hairstyles that helped distinguished them from high elves in pre-BC lore.

    High elves: Blue eyes, light hair and pale skin, more slight, but clearly still lithe and agile. Their customization options would be more traditional and restrained, such as modest piercings and simple hairstyles.

    On top of this, the two races could be given completely different animations and postures, creating two distinct silhouettes.


    I mean, I'm not one of those people who desperately wants high elves or ogres to be playable (I'd prefer neutral ethereals), but I definitely think they're the absolute best option for new faction-specific races.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It would be extremely easy to create new reasons for differences in physical appearance, and the revamping of character models would be the perfect opportunity to create a dichotomy between the two races.

    Blood elves: Green eyes, darker hair, ruddier skin, more physically robust as a result of their reconnection with the Sunwell. They also gain the runic tattoos and taboo hairstyles that helped distinguished them from high elves in pre-BC lore.

    High elves: Blue eyes, light hair and pale skin, more slight, but clearly still lithe and agile. Their customization options would be more traditional and restrained, such as modest piercings and simple hairstyles.

    On top of this, the two races could be given completely different animations and postures, creating two distinct silhouettes.


    I mean, I'm not one of those people who desperately wants high elves or ogres to be playable (I'd prefer neutral ethereals), but I definitely think they're the absolute best option for new faction-specific races.
    After reading your post I decided to look it up. From http://www.wowwiki.com/Blood_elf#Physical_appearance ...

    Blood elves between the Third War and World of Warcraft were physically identical to high elves, save that they dressed primarily in blacks and reds to remind themselves of their terrible losses. Many painted runes or mysterious tattoos on their faces, arms and shoulders for warding off demons or celebrating significant kills or simply to look intimidating — something high elves would never do. As well, they adopted hair styles that went against the norms of high elf society. Nevertheless when approaching Alliance towns blood elves would often disguise themselves as high elves to avoid harm.
    So blood elves *should* be more similar to the DS model of Nozdormu, while high elves have a more "conventional" fantasy appearance:



    With the upcoming race revamps, this COULD possibly pave the way for a high elf race if Blood Elf models were modified to be more in line with what their appearance should be, according to the given lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    And since we're dredging up old-world stuff, she should be happy she was even allowed to become a nurse at all instead of being raped.

  4. #164
    High elves would need a brand new model, not just a blood elf rehash.

    Also, those racials you gave it won't fly. needs some more thought.

  5. #165
    Warchief Voyager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Soviet Union
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedith View Post
    High elves would need a brand new model, not just a blood elf rehash.
    No, they wouldn't.

  6. #166
    Warchief Shroud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Google it
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It would be extremely easy to create new reasons for differences in physical appearance, and the revamping of character models would be the perfect opportunity to create a dichotomy between the two races.

    Blood elves: Green eyes, darker hair, ruddier skin, more physically robust as a result of their reconnection with the Sunwell. They also gain the runic tattoos and taboo hairstyles that helped distinguished them from high elves in pre-BC lore.

    High elves: Blue eyes, light hair and pale skin, more slight, but clearly still lithe and agile. Their customization options would be more traditional and restrained, such as modest piercings and simple hairstyles.

    On top of this, the two races could be given completely different animations and postures, creating two distinct silhouettes.


    I mean, I'm not one of those people who desperately wants high elves or ogres to be playable (I'd prefer neutral ethereals), but I definitely think they're the absolute best option for new faction-specific races.
    agreed Blizzard open a can of worms with Neutral Races and it is very likely to be used a lot more in upcoming expansions.Hell I would love to have a Ethereal Demon Hunter.

    yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It would be extremely easy to create new reasons for differences in physical appearance, and the revamping of character models would be the perfect opportunity to create a dichotomy between the two races.

    Blood elves: Green eyes, darker hair, ruddier skin, more physically robust as a result of their reconnection with the Sunwell. They also gain the runic tattoos and taboo hairstyles that helped distinguished them from high elves in pre-BC lore.

    High elves: Blue eyes, light hair and pale skin, more slight, but clearly still lithe and agile. Their customization options would be more traditional and restrained, such as modest piercings and simple hairstyles.

    On top of this, the two races could be given completely different animations and postures, creating two distinct silhouettes.

    I mean, I'm not one of those people who desperately wants high elves or ogres to be playable (I'd prefer neutral ethereals), but I definitely think they're the absolute best option for new faction-specific races.
    For one thing, I'm not suggesting that it's an impossible cause, merely saying that in terms of base physical build - the thing you first notice about something - they are identical.

    Secondly, both races have access to the Sunwell, check the Quel'Delar questline. And most tattoos are on their body rather than their face, (if demon hunters are anything to judge by, and they are really the best way to do such) which shouldn't be forced.

    The most prominent distinctions would be hair and the animation of the model, but the base models would have to by necessity of lore be identical unless something drastic happened.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2013-04-10 at 07:17 PM.

  8. #168
    The Lightbringer Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Secondly, both races have access to the Sunwell, check the Quel'Delar questline.
    That was well before the current kerfuffle in Dalaran between the Sunreavers and Silver Covenant. I imagine the Sunwell is going to become a much more exclusive club.

    And most tattoos are on their body rather than their face, (if demon hunters are anything to judge by, and they are really the best way to do such) which shouldn't be forced.
    Demon hunters aren't anything to judge by, those are "demon hunter tattoos." The only two blood elves to have blood elf tattoos in-game are Rommath and Tae'thelan Bloodwatcher. However, the tattoos have appeared in concept art and the blood elf on the Burning Crusade box art even has facial tattoos.



    I'm not saying they should be required, but they should be available as an option.

    The most prominent distinctions would be hair and the animation of the model, but the base models would have to by necessity of lore be identical unless something drastic happened.
    Again, it would be very simple to justify differences in build and even height.

    Example: Here's a blood elf model from the Burning Crusade demo they had at Blizzcon 2005.



    The physique is very different from the blood elves that made it into the game, closer to the "skinny" models that were in the earliest beta builds before the models were "buffed up," and of course the head was completely different.

    My point is just that they can easily give the two races distinctly different physiques (with the high elves being more lithe and the blood elves more robust) without it "contradicting established lore" or even being a dramatic-looking difference.




    Another example, showing just how much variance can be created with slight alterations to physique and posture. Just changing the Lich King's basic standing pose gave him a completely different silhouette. Thrall is still easily identifiable as an orc, though his build is clearly different from the playable model.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-04-10 at 07:47 PM.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    That was well before the current kerfuffle in Dalaran between the Sunreavers and Silver Covenant. I imagine the Sunwell is going to become a much more exclusive club.
    Except that it would be very strange for a radical physical change to occur within the span of a couple months / even a year.

    As well, considering that there was no physical changes to either group after the Sunwell was destroyed in the Third War, then its reigniting wouldn't really do much either, unless you can cite how holy energy could cause physical change (we have no evidence of this despite holy magic being used for centuries amongst humans).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Demon hunters aren't anything to judge by, those are "demon hunter tattoos." The only two blood elves to have blood elf tattoos in-game are Rommath and Tae'thelan Bloodwatcher. However, the tattoos have appeared in concept art and the blood elf on the Burning Crusade box art even has facial tattoos.
    Considering that demon hunter tattoos are used for similar purposes, yeah, they are.

    They're also the only real prominent, fleshed out example of arcane tattoos in warcraft lore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Again, it would be very simple to justify differences in build and even height.

    Example: Here's a blood elf model from the Burning Crusade demo they had at Blizzcon 2005.

    The physique is very different from the blood elves that made it into the game, closer to the "skinny" models that were in the earliest beta builds before the models were "buffed up," and of course the head was completely different.
    You're forgetting the lore saying that there's no difference in height or build and that aside from their eyes a simple change in hairstyle and attire would make a blood elf undetectable amongst a group of high elves.

    Nor would I say that a snapshot of a model that was in development would warrant the negation of the written lore. It just means the artists didn't like how that model looked (probably because it was too similar to night elves if that image is anything to go by).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    My point is just that they can easily give the two races distinctly different physiques (with the high elves being more lithe and the blood elves more robust) without it "contradicting established lore" or even being a dramatic-looking difference.
    Despite the lore saying "yeah there's no real significant physical difference as far as body mass goes?"

    Nor are they really two entirely separate races. Their only differences, as has been mentioned many times, are mainly their political stances and their decision regarding the use of fel magic.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2013-04-10 at 09:59 PM.

  10. #170
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,330
    I sure as hell hope we are not getting MORE elves in WoW. And if you really think Blizzard is going to introduce a race visually identical to the existing race and call it "new" - you don't know Blizzard well enough.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  11. #171
    Scarab Lord Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,472
    Heh. Seeing that page and the art of the high elf used on it takes me back.
    There was a very well-made custom warcraft3 model on the old hiveworkshop page, made by Armel, based on it. Lets see if I can find it.

    Ah, here he is.

    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/m...warmage-47419/
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-04-11 at 10:01 AM.
    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •