Deleted

[Books] Greek Mythology

Hi

I'm looking for a book, similar to "The Oddyssey", "The Illiad", and the movie "Troy" ..
    So basically something about the greek mythology, gods, heroes, wars .. that kind of stuff..

I'm not gonna read the Percy Jackson books, since the story and plot seems abit too childish and far fetched..
    I have no problem with it being fictional or anything..

So does anybody know any books, based on the things I've mentioned so far?

I tried googling abit, and tried tastekid, but it doesnt seem like there's much to find..

Deleted
    Virgil's The Aenied is a continuation of The Illiad from the perspective of the Trojans written in a similar epic poetic style. It's Roman though, not Greek. Worth checking out if you liked Homer's epic poems.

Deleted
    The The Golden Ass is definitely well worth a read, especially the Tale of Cupid and Psyche (it's a stand-alone story within the novel, so you can skip to that bit if you're only interested in the mythological elements).

David Gemmell wrote a Troy fiction series of three books; Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder and Fall of Kings. It's a very interesting take and he uses a lot of different interpretations of the original story of the Illiad. Sadly he died before completing the third and final book but his wife finished it using his notes. He was an amazing author I have read all his works.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest reading some of Herodotus books, in where he writes about the Greek-Persian wars. I recall reading and an excerpt in highscool about the battle at thermopylae (the events seen in the movie "300") which is written pretty much like the illiad and odyssee.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not mythology, but historical fiction based on the battle of Thermopylae, Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Outstanding read!

Deleted
    I'll bump this,

Thanks for the suggestions, I could use some more. And maybe some which are possible to read online/on the computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    David Gemmell wrote a Troy fiction series of three books; Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder and Fall of Kings. It's a very interesting take and he uses a lot of different interpretations of the original story of the Illiad. Sadly he died before completing the third and final book but his wife finished it using his notes. He was an amazing author I have read all his works.
    Going to echo this. Having read The Iliad, The Odyssey and the Aeneid in school, I really enjoyed David Gemmell's take on the legend.

You may also enjoy reading some or all of the Oresteia plays, by Aeschylus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresteia
    The first play (Agamemnon) follows the end of the Trojan War and Agamemnon's return home. Events unfold from there, basically!
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Apologies is this is too off topic, but Dennis Schmidt wrote a fantastic trilogy called Twilight of the Gods that paralells the norse legends. It isn't greek but you should check it out, I can dig up the individual title names if anyone is interested. I love talking about books that I have read in my life. There have been so many good ones that I try to get other people to read.

Ummm, can't let this go past page 1 without mentioning Edith Hamilton's Mythology. It's like, the definitive collection of Greek myths, along with Roman and Norse myth.

http://www.amazon.com/Mythology-Time.../dp/0446574759

Deleted
    Anabasis and The Aeneid.

Ulysses might be worth a look to.