Wait or not? (Case Purchase)

Hello, I'm currently in the market for a new build with the Haswell being released perhaps in June. However, I don't know if I'll be jumping on the Haswell ship as soon as it is released or waiting a month or 2.

With that, the AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 is currently up on Newegg for $104.99 (after a mail in rebate... $94.99 after rebate and promo code)

I prefer a full tower cases and have seen so many great reviews for this particular case along with currently owning an AZZA case that has seemingly great cooling, no issues with stock fans, and only self caused issue with a usb port so from experience, I am a fan of AZZA cases.

Looking for some opinions on if I should wait till I am ready to actually build the new PC or pounce on this case now @ $95? According to PC parts picker, the lowest the price has dropped in the last 4 months is to ~$100 (before any sort of Promo codes) Even if I wait till the end of summer/fall to build the new PC, I personally don't see being able to get a good full tower case in the $100 range. At least not one that allows for a side mounted fan to have some space between the side and GPU.

I would go ahead and grab it, cases rarely have issues, so having it sit for a while isn't a bad thing.

What is your tower budget? I don't recommend a $95 case unless the tower is at least $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    What is your tower budget? I don't recommend a $95 case unless the tower is at least $1000.

It looks like I am going with:

Haswell CPU (whatever i5 unlocked version is)
    Mobo - have to wait for 1150 ones to be released but whatever is in the 150-200 range (before the typical $40 reduction from buying a combo at Microcenter)
    2nd HD 7950 (have one already, going to crossfire)
    128 GB SSD (most likely the Mushkin Chronos) (might go with a 240ish GB SSD, but doubtful)
    Up to a 1tb HDD (undecided here since I currently am only using 250ish GB of 1.5TB total HDD space)
    Hyper 212+ CPU cooler
    850 Modular Gold 80+ rated PSU

I will be pulling a few items out of the current PC before I sell it off. Ram with 16GB 1600mhz, keyboard (G15 original), Mouse (Sensei), Headset (Megalodon), soundcard (SB X-Fi).. i'm sure I'm forgetting something here but all in all, buying the system outright to include the items I already have, I'll be easily pushing a $1000

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayko View Post
    It looks like I am going with:

Haswell CPU (whatever i5 unlocked version is)
    Mobo - have to wait for 1150 ones to be released but whatever is in the 150-200 range (before the typical $40 reduction from buying a combo at Microcenter)
    128 GB SSD (most likely the Mushkin Chronos) (might go with a 240ish GB SSD, but doubtful)
    Up to a 1tb HDD (undecided here since I currently am only using 250ish GB of 1.5TB total HDD space)
    Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

I will be pulling a few items out of the current PC before I sell it off. Ram with 16GB 1600mhz, keyboard (G15 original), Mouse (Sensei), Headset (Megalodon), soundcard (SB X-Fi).. i'm sure I'm forgetting something here but all in all, buying the system outright to include the items I already have, I'll be easily pushing a $1000
    Why not reuse the harddrive?

Also, don't get a gold rated PSU. While the efficiency is nice they are not worth the price difference from a bronze. The amount you'll save in power will not outweigh the extra cost.

i also would recommend a 250/256gb SSD. Coming from a person who bought 120gb and literally has no room for anything, with tons of games having to be slapped on my harddrive.

A few reasons not to keep my storage:
    For 1, the drives are not sata 3. With going from an older I7 to the new Haswell, I should be going to sata 3.
    2nd, OS, It is just easier to deal with getting a new OS with new drives then it is to deal with convincing Microsoft that the copy of Windows is actually one that I bought and so on.
    3rd, I plan on selling my current one as a complete system (I have a few older parts that I can put in that I don't plan on taking with to the new one) I think I can get more value as a ready to use PC then to part it out. *It is an I7 920 that still has a bit of life in it. Even with throwing my old 5850 back into it, it still can handle most games at a decent setting. It still suits anything I use it for currently, but it is getting up to that point were resale value is going to drop very quickly.

I know the Gold PSU is not much of an advantage, but then I don't recognize many of the companies that make power supplies. I'd like to have a modular PSU this time around cause of my current one having just way too many extra wires that I can't even imagine how many drives and other items I would need to take up all the connectors. It's too much of a mess of wires for me wanting to deal with again.
    For modular PSUs, the first one that jumped out at me as that is at least 850 watts, modular, and a company name I know was the Corsair AX850. I do recognize companies like Thermaltake, but know them more for seriously ugly cases or NZXT who I think has some creepy love for LED lighting in cases but other then that, the cheaper PSUs are from places I know basically nothing about... Raidmax? umm, they have 7 cases that use the name "super".. ya, don't trust this one.

As for the SSD, I have a 120GB one currently and still maintaining 20GB of space. For games, I mostly stick with MMO's and don't often do much for jumping between different games at the same time. It would be a very rare occasion that I would have more then 2 games (and the OS) loaded onto the SSD at any given time. Anything that is F2P often does not get much of my attention so it is no big deal to have those loaded onto a basic HDD. I'll keep them there in case I have some strange urge to play a few minutes of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few reasons not to keep my storage:
    For 1, the drives are not sata 3. With going from an older I7 to the new Haswell, I should be going to sata 3.
    2nd, OS, It is just easier to deal with getting a new OS with new drives then it is to deal with convincing Microsoft that the copy of Windows is actually one that I bought and so on.
    3rd, I plan on selling my current one as a complete system (I have a few older parts that I can put in that I don't plan on taking with to the new one) I think I can get more value as a ready to use PC then to part it out. *It is an I7 920 that still has a bit of life in it. Even with throwing my old 5850 back into it, it still can handle most games at a decent setting. It still suits anything I use it for currently, but it is getting up to that point were resale value is going to drop very quickly.

I know the Gold PSU is not much of an advantage, but then I don't recognize many of the companies that make power supplies. I'd like to have a modular PSU this time around cause of my current one having just way too many extra wires that I can't even imagine how many drives and other items I would need to take up all the connectors. It's too much of a mess of wires for me wanting to deal with again.
    For modular PSUs, the first one that jumped out at me as that is at least 850 watts, modular, and a company name I know was the Corsair AX850. I do recognize companies like Thermaltake, but know them more for seriously ugly cases or NZXT who I think has some creepy love for LED lighting in cases but other then that, the cheaper PSUs are from places I know basically nothing about... Raidmax? umm, they have 7 cases that use the name "super".. ya, don't trust this one.

As for the SSD, I have a 120GB one currently and still maintaining 20GB of space. For games, I mostly stick with MMO's and don't often do much for jumping between different games at the same time. It would be a very rare occasion that I would have more then 2 games (and the OS) loaded onto the SSD at any given time. Anything that is F2P often does not get much of my attention so it is no big deal to have those loaded onto a basic HDD. I'll keep them there in case I have some strange urge to play a few minutes of them.
    1) Sata 3 will not benefit hard drive performance. At all. It's not nearly fast enough to saturate SATA 2 let alone 3.
    2) But you're reinstalling windows regardless, unless you're not putting the OS on the SSD? Which is a waste, as thats the biggest spot the SSD improves on.
    3) Fair enough, but dont you have other hard drives laying around? And if you're reusing the OS, the computer wont have an OS and it still won't be "complete" and ready to run.

SeaSonic 750W bronze Modular PSU

or

Corsair AX750 gold

You don't need an 850w PSU. a 750W will be plenty for 7950 crossfire. The corsair is also on sale so if you can get that within it's sale range then great.

As for the SSD, fair enough, but 20gb left for just MMO's isnt that much space left. games are getting bigger, WoW especially, and it's only likely to get worse. But the decision is up to you.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-04-06 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    I know that if you're selling your old rig this is irrelevant info, but.. reusing the same windows license is -very- easy! I struggled with it a few times after wiping an OS drive, but I just call the automated phone system by default these days. Very easy, quick, it's a free number from a landline where I live and after using it many times it has never failed me.

Just throwing it out there.

For CF, you should take a look at the following articles:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...ormance-Testin
    http://techreport.com/review/24553/i...-capture-tools
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rate,3466.html

Tomshardware article included for fairness

850W is more than you'd need for 7950 CF.

You should also consider Ivy Bridge/Haswell-E for CF. I don't think they're increasing the number of PCIe lanes in Haswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    1) Sata 3 will not benefit hard drive performance. At all. It's not nearly fast enough to saturate SATA 2 let alone 3.
    You're right, thank you.. I was in the mind set of SSD performance when it comes to Sata 2 vs Sata 3. I could probably keep one of my 750gb Black drives to save here.

SeaSonic 750W bronze Modular PSU

or

Corsair AX750 gold

You don't need an 850w PSU. a 750W will be plenty for 7950 crossfire. The corsair is also on sale so if you can get that within it's sale range then great.

As for the SSD, fair enough, but 20gb left for just MMO's isnt that much space left. games are getting bigger, WoW especially, and it's only likely to get worse. But the decision is up to you.
    750w just seems like it may be cutting it close when it comes to 7950 Crossfire. Every cheapo wattage calculator I come across puts me low end at a 700w and the higher end of 800w. Either way, Amazon has the TX850 at $124.99 while the best price I can find for the 750 is $127.49. As for the Seasonic, I have never heard of them at all before and a quick search shows me that customer service might be a hassle if something were to go wrong.

For the SSD space, I currently have 2 games loaded (Tera hitting near 30GB for that unoptimized beast) along with a good 5-7GB of randomness that I just never moved over to the HDD. I think I will be fine with only a 120-128 SSD and if it ever comes to it, a second SSD in a few years may start getting competitive to HDD prices.

I do very much appreciate the suggestions for HDD/SSD and the PSU. My mind wasn't connecting with HDD speeds when it comes to Sata 2 v 3. As for the PSU, I just so very unsure about going down to a 750w unit especially when the price range seems to be in the same range as the 850w one I was looking at from Corsair.

Though, to get back to the original question. Has anyone followed case design that thinks it is a good idea to go after this AZZA one now at the $95? or better off to think prices will drop come end of spring? I am still stuck thinking that with the release of Haswell CPUs that people will be out buying new machines and case prices can go either way. Either up cause more people are buying new machines and thus new cases or drop down to encourage people to buy new complete machines..... I honestly have no idea on how the CPU market would affect something like a case.

15+ Year Old Account
    750w just seems like it may be cutting it close when it comes to 7950 Crossfire. Every cheapo wattage calculator I come across puts me low end at a 700w and the higher end of 800w. Either way, Amazon has the TX850 at $124.99 while the best price I can find for the 750 is $127.49. As for the Seasonic, I have never heard of them at all before and a quick search shows me that customer service might be a hassle if something were to go wrong.
    That's quite funny, actually, because Seasonic makes most of the high end Corsair units. So when you are buying a Corsair AX850 it's basically just a Seasonic X-850 with Corsair's sticker and cables in it. I haven't personally heard anything bad about Seasonic's customer service, but then again, I haven't heard about that many Seasonic PSU's breaking either.

As far as power supply manufacturers go both Seasonic and Corsair are top notch. Even though Corsairs are usually a little bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    TAs far as power supply manufacturers go both Seasonic and Corsair are top notch. Even though Corsairs are usually a little bit cheaper.
    Corsair isn't a manufacturer, they're a design company. Corsair is akin to Nvidia or AMD and Seasonic is akin to TSMC.

Corsair units tend to be more expensive as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, thank you.. I was in the mind set of SSD performance when it comes to Sata 2 vs Sata 3. I could probably keep one of my 750gb Black drives to save here.

2x7950's is only 400w at most. unless both are overclocked but even then that amounts to 450w at the most. The rest of the system is inconsequential in comparsion. Depends on the CPU, with a 3570k (or even a haswell I5, which i doubt will use more power, since computer hardware is getting more efficient, not less) you'll be looking at 600w system power at most.

Also, don't get a gold rated PSU. While the efficiency is nice they are not worth the price difference from a bronze. The amount you'll save in power will not outweigh the extra cost.
    More efficient means less watts wasted to heat. At similar loads, a platinum would generate 50-60% of the heat a bronze would generate. (Admittedly, I don't really know the actual amount of heat a bronze PSU puts out.)

But in theory, platinum should run cooler, and subsequently last longer, and contribute less to your temps than a bronze, in addition to pulling less watts from the wall.

edit: I used platinum as reference, since OP is looking at a gold, gold would be along the lines of 66-73% of the heat output of a bronze. Other tidbits should be the same for gold, though to a lesser extent.
    Last edited by MasterNewbie; 2013-04-06 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    sure. if you want an eyesore cheap flimsy case with next to zero cable management, connectivity options, and poor airflow design.

Cases are very much a personal decision, but there are good ones and bad ones out there. It's up to you to decide on which you really want to deal with for the next however many years.

I do recognize companies like Thermaltake, but know them more for seriously ugly cases or NZXT who I think has some creepy love for LED lighting in cases but other then that, the cheaper PSUs are from places I know basically nothing about... Raidmax? umm, they have 7 cases that use the name "super".. ya, don't trust this one.
    Yet you're looking at AZZA? I don't know where you get the idea of the "creepy love for LED lighting" with NZXT. The only LED I know of some of them having is the rear LED to light up the I/O which I find very beneficial. NZXT does tend to be as plasticy as a 50 year old hollywood queen, but their build quality is rather good.

Found this pretty good review on the case you're looking at on newegg:
    Pros: Very big case with lots of room to work with, hard drives go in and out easy.
    -Comes with stock air filters, though I don't really know how well they work, I switched out.
    -Comes with a neat system for the hard drives, however I took them out as I didn't really like them.
    -Frame comes pretty solid.
    -Good cable management in the back.
    -Easy access to CPU cooler, if ever wanting to switch out.
    -Fan on the back panel is nice, is it needed? I do not know.
    -The covers for dvd/cd/blu-ray drives are neat, comes with foam that helps keep out dust if not in use.

Cons: The main thing that disapointed me the most -- Air flow is awful. I repeat. Awful air flow. If you are buying this case asuming it offers great air flow, don't waste your time and money.

-One of the stock fans for me did not work, and other blew little to no air, and the fan that did work, the fan controler did not work.

-The two side fans work, however blow little to no air. My bottom mount GELID 140mm fan blows more air than the two fans conbined.

-The two stock front fans don't blow much air. The front filters constricting airflow should be to blame, though, stock fans in general did not blow much air.

-The cables to my power button came off and I had to solder it back on.

-All the intake fans have filters except for the two side fans which are the biggest intake fans?

Newegg is not to blame for the product. I ordered the product on a Friday and got it Moday. Newegg always perform above a beyond. Best place for electronics.

Other Thoughts: A bit dissapointed with AzzA as I previously used an Azza Solano. The Solano 1000 is a great case, I actually prefer the case over the Hurrican, just Hurrican came with more features. What I decided to do was modify the Hurrican using the two 230mm fans for my top fans on Hurrican and stripped down the Solano completely. I took the 2 front H.D.D fan mounts and put them into the cd/dvd drive of the Hurrican, creating a new front intake fan duck.

After about 12 hours of modding the Hurrican, sleeving the cables, soldering, and managing cables, I came out with a sort of hybrid of the Hurrican/Solano. I am not yet done with my modifications, as I need to replace the rear exhust fans, the two 120mm front intake fans, and the two 140mm fans in the front air duck system.

For anyone who wants to replace stock Hurrican case fans, I recomend GELID fans, great fans, a bit pricy, but you pay for what you get.
    After looking at this case for a bit a few things jump out at me:
    -The usb 3.0 for the front is a pass through. You have to run the cable out the rear and actually plug it into one of your rear MoBo ports instead of a MoBo header.
    -The HDD mounts will be a hassle since they not accessed from the side. This is also a bad idea for cable management if you want it looking clean.
    -More cheap looking plastic than CM HAF series.
    -Hope you like the feeling of a police car in your room.
    -Cable management does not look like it would be fun. No grommets, the routing holes are small and not enough of them.

My thoughts: to much plastic, build quality seems poor, looks like a futuristic car design from the 70's, questionable layout, seems be lots of issues with the fans.

My suggestions:
    -Do you really need a full tower? There's a lot of very good quality mid tower cases out there that will more than suit your needs.
    -Check out some video reviews out there to see what certain cases have to provide. Poor quality cases are rarely reviewed.

As far as the rest of your build:
    -Go for a 250/256gb SSD so you don't find yourself moving/deleting things as often.
    -Sell your 7950 and go for a 7970, 670 or 680.
    -With a single card set up, a 650 bronze psu will be more than what you need. As said already, if you go with dual GPU, a 750 bronze would be the way to go.
    -The $100-150 MoBo range will likely suit all your needs.

One last thing, case prices seldom change much. There's always sales, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    Yet you're looking at AZZA? I don't know where you get the idea of the "creepy love for LED lighting" with NZXT. The only LED I know of some of them having is the rear LED to light up the I/O which I find very beneficial. NZXT does tend to be as plasticy as a 50 year old hollywood queen, but their build quality is rather good.

Found this pretty good review on the case you're looking at on newegg:

After looking at this case for a bit a few things jump out at me:
    -The usb 3.0 for the front is a pass through. You have to run the cable out the rear and actually plug it into one of your rear MoBo ports instead of a MoBo header.
    -The HDD mounts will be a hassle since they not accessed from the side. This is also a bad idea for cable management if you want it looking clean.
    -More cheap looking plastic than CM HAF series.
    -Hope you like the feeling of a police car in your room.
    -Cable management does not look like it would be fun. No grommets, the routing holes are small and not enough of them.

My thoughts: to much plastic, build quality seems poor, looks like a futuristic car design from the 70's, questionable layout, seems be lots of issues with the fans.

My suggestions:
    -Do you really need a full tower? There's a lot of very good quality mid tower cases out there that will more than suit your needs.
    -Check out some video reviews out there to see what certain cases have to provide. Poor quality cases are rarely reviewed.

As far as the rest of your build:
    -Go for a 250/256gb SSD so you don't find yourself moving/deleting things as often.
    -Sell your 7950 and go for a 7970, 670 or 680.
    -With a single card set up, a 650 bronze psu will be more than what you need. As said already, if you go with dual GPU, a 750 bronze would be the way to go.
    -The $100-150 MoBo range will likely suit all your needs.

One last thing, case prices seldom change much. There's always sales, but that's about it.

Most of the NZXT cases I have looked at all seem to have accent strips in the front or along the corners. I can deal with fan LEDs, but the additional accent stuff is just not my thing.
    For that review, I am in the same boat in terms of currently having the Solano. Even with my no attempt at cable management, I have never had an issue with airflow in it. Many of the more professional reviews also talk about how good the airflow is in the Hurrican as well.
    However, after spending some more time looking at other cases, I can see that cable management could potentially be an issue with the Hurrican. It does appear that the space behind the mobo plate is fairly thin. It doesn't appear that there would be room if the need for a extension connector was there.
    The $20.00 rebate for the AZZA goes till the end of the month so I still have time to wait. USB 3.0 is a non issue since I don't partake in thumb drives or removable storage and also, I'm not one to need information transferred NOW! I can wait, I'll go for a walk (to get a beer) in the extra time it takes.

As for the suggestions, Full Tower? Yes, this is something I don't think my opinion will get changed on. Even new mid towers seem to have at best 13"-14" of space for video cards and with plans to get the Haswell CPU, I don't intend to upgrade again till at least Skylake/Skymount or even whatever comes in after that. GPU on the other hand will most likely get upgraded before then, perhaps the 9XXX series. With the 7950 already coming in at 12.5", if the next GPU sets start pushing that 13"+ range, I may be simply out of luck all together by limiting to a mid tower. Along with that, I am currently running a closed loop water cooling system and though I intend to go to air with the new system, I may end up changing my mind and back to water. I want the flexibility a full tower gives over mid tower.

Not going to bother with a 250Gb+ SSD, I just don't have the need for it. I can take the few minutes to do storage maintenance when I need to. Out of all the various forms of games I have on my PC right now, I maybe have logged a total of 2 hours over the last 2 months in all the secondary games combined. I really only need it for my OS and one major title, other then that, I can move things as needed.
    I'm sticking with the 7950 with plans to upgrade somewhere in the 9XXX series (or whatever they decided to call it.) Dropping another 7950 in would be more costly now, but in the long run, I might be more willing to hold out a while longer for those GPUs to drop in price and get all the reference bugs worked out before wanting to upgrade.
    The Mobo I'm going with will ultimately depend on what deals Microcenter has. They typically knock off a solid $40 for a CPU/Mobo combo, so basically I'll be looking for anything that has a little space between PCI-e slots so the two GPUs aren't spooning each other. (for an example, if I were to buy a 3570/3770, I could get the ASRock Z77 board for $120 instead of $160. Has the space I am looking for with the PCI-e slots for the GPUs with a 3rd for a sound card I have.

I did take a look at some of the NZXT cases and the Phantom doesn't look all that bad on the inside. The Phantom 630 has an impressive setup on how the drive bays can be moved around but the 630 comes at a price that I don't think I want to put into a case.

15+ Year Old Account
    As for the suggestions, Full Tower? Yes, this is something I don't think my opinion will get changed on. Even new mid towers seem to have at best 13"-14" of space for video cards and with plans to get the Haswell CPU, I don't intend to upgrade again till at least Skylake/Skymount or even whatever comes in after that. GPU on the other hand will most likely get upgraded before then, perhaps the 9XXX series. With the 7950 already coming in at 12.5", if the next GPU sets start pushing that 13"+ range, I may be simply out of luck all together by limiting to a mid tower. Along with that, I am currently running a closed loop water cooling system and though I intend to go to air with the new system, I may end up changing my mind and back to water. I want the flexibility a full tower gives over mid tower.
    What bizzare aftermarket cooler have you got on your 7950 that makes it 2 inches longer than the reference model (10.6'')? And if you look at the trend with graphics cards sizes lately you can see that they are getting smaller if anything.

GTX 480 - 10.5 inches
    GTX 580 - 10.5 inches
    GTX 680 - 10.0 inches
    source Nvidia

HD5950 - 11 inches
    HD6950 - 10.6''
    HD7950 - 10.6 inches

You are not going to run in to problems regarding graphics cards length even if you went with mid-tower, trust me. There's literally no reason to pick full-tower over mid-tower if you aren't building something extreme like double loop liquid cooling with 3+ gpu's and cpu in it or a server with multitude HDD's and expansion cards.

I'm not trying to change your mind if it's just a personal opinion of liking bigger cases but trying to justify it by saying you need the space is just ridiculous. With the hardware you are planning anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    sure. if you want an eyesore cheap flimsy case with next to zero cable management, connectivity options, and poor airflow design.
    I don't see why you would buy a $100+ case if you're going to be running with a FX-6300 and a 7850 in a $600 rig. The extra $50 wasted on the case could have better been spent elsewhere.

The case is a non-performance part and should rank lower in priority than actual performance parts. This means you shouldn't be spending more than 10% of your budget on the case, unless you've broken the $1500 mark.

There are plenty of $50 cases that look decent, are acceptably sturdy, have acceptable cable management and more than enough airflow for a low powered $600 rig.