Thread: Hunter or Mage?

Deleted

Hunter or Mage?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to making a new character and was wondering what would be better in 3's/2's and PVE, The choice is between a Hunter and Mage.
    Any suggestions with why would be great, thanks again and see you guys soon.
    Last edited by mmoc59e1f29216; 2013-04-06 at 05:28 PM.

Mage do well in both areas

Deleted
    Bump, still having this dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by BarrySnail View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking to making a new character and was wondering what would be better in 3's/2's and PVE, The choice is between a Hunter and Mage.
    This question is a bit too general. Both classes you mention are very good in arena right now even for nonskilled players. For arena its depends on what other classe(s) your playing with in your comp to compliment their cc/damage/heals. For PvE, both are also very good so it comes down to raid need and what you think youd have more fun playing. I don't mean to sound so open ended but the age old question "which is better" can't always be so cut and dry especially without further detail. I'd give the slight edge to mages in PvP anyway.

Deleted
    mage all the way!

Deleted
    Don't let the forum heroes trick you into thinking playing a mage will get you free gladiator, because it's actually one of the hardest classes to do well with. They can be very strong in the right hands however. Same goes for hunters who are a top tier class in PvP right now, although due to the lack of setup for their unavoidable damage are more forgiving to play. Just watch some twitch streams of both classes to see which one you would enjoy more.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2013-04-07 at 06:47 PM.

Mage

Playing a hunter is far more frustrating and mages are going to be pvp gods forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    Don't let the forum heroes trick you into thinking playing a mage will get you free gladiator, because it's actually one of the hardest classes to do well with.
    Who said anything about free Gladiator or even th OP doing good at all in arena just for picking a mage? The question was about which is better not what class will get you instawins. From a general standpoint the mage (by a small margin) in my opinion, is better. Put the individual behind the keyboard and who knows how good or bad they do with any character.

Deleted
    bm hunter is op atm, no-cc-phase lolrofl. Both classes were viable all seasons long so just pick what you like more

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaze View Post
    bm hunter is op atm, no-cc-phase lolrofl. Both classes were viable all seasons long so just pick what you like more
    If by "no CC phase" you mean a 2nd trinket... sure, I guess.

OP, play a mage. They've not had a bad season since the dawn of arena. Timing shatter combos and such isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    Who said anything about free Gladiator or even th OP doing good at all in arena just for picking a mage? The question was about which is better not what class will get you instawins. From a general standpoint the mage (by a small margin) in my opinion, is better. Put the individual behind the keyboard and who knows how good or bad they do with any character.
    You said mages are very good in arena even for non-skilled players, probably because you have some kind of axe to grind against them, and I'm just warning the OP that mages are not that easy to do well with.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2013-04-07 at 10:20 PM.

Deleted
    mages arent op, theyre fine. hunter is stronger atm. though they were both playable in all pvpseasons since vanilla.. But you wont reach highrating with any of them by being just bad. You have to be skilled in both ways. Who says playing mage is easy has actually no idea of the mechanics of a mage - and hunter isnt easy to master aswell

E: hunter just rapes every clothguy while mage doesnt counter the meeles anymore since warri,ret,dk have enough closeups and rogue even the daggerthrow

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage is a save choice, and also a fun choice.

To be honest, hunter becomes quite boring due to the constant and same rotation. There are no real "fun" procs/CDs, while with mage you have pyroblasts for insane high crits and combustion for cool high hitting dots, alter time for even more burst and procs. Frost has awesome sustained burst I reckon while hunters basically all have the same rotation: Use highest hitting ability with CD (explosive shot, chimera shot, kill command) > spam arcane shots > regen focus (this isnt the exact rotation, but it comes close).

Quote Originally Posted by BarrySnail View Post
    Hello everyone,

If you had asked this question an expansion back, Mages would have been miles ahead as the clear winner. There would simply be no competition.

However, this expansion, Hunters are quit good. The removal of minimum range has made them quite OP. They are ranged casters that can't be interrupted with decent mobility and probably the best kiters in the game. However, things get a bit complicated when up against more than 1 or 2. Hunters are really good 1 v 1.

BM is a pretty strong spec for PVP. Survival seems strong for PVE. Hunters have not really been the most consistent class compared to Mages.

It depends if you like playing with a pet for the most part. Sure Frost Mages have a pet, but it isn't has hindering as a Hunter if your pet dies or bugs out. A hunter's pet provides for a considerable amount of the hunter's damage at least for BM compared to Frost Mages. Also PVPing as a Hunter requires you to always be on your toes clicking something whether its throwing your taps, CCing, DPSing, etc.

I think mages have a better reliability long term and more consistent performance wise.

Deleted
    Both are insanely overpowered and with the nerfs incoming to shadow priests in 5.3 they will be the best ranged in the game without discussion.
    Even if hunters are completely retarded right now i would think its safer to go with mage since they have never ever been bad.
    Mages are always guaranteed rank1/gladiator so you should just go with that