Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Camelot Unchained (MMORPG RVR)

Just 4 days ago, City State Entertainment put up their KickStarter page for Camelot Unchained. (Source) I have noticed that the only thread pertaining to this was not updated and was merely just a "Hey look at this." Since Camelot Unchained has recently been backed by Obsidian Entertainment and the KickStarter page will hit the funding amount, it is seeming more and more likely that we'll see a beta in 2014.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

You can ask Mark any question you have regarding CU and he will answer it!! GET ON THIS.

The following video talks about the game engine involved, which will be developed in house by someone (and others) very experienced with this sort of thing. The rest of videos posted here will be either from their website or as an update to what is going on.

Now, this game seems more along the lines of a 2015 launch which is quite far away. For those looking for a PvP driven game with the holy-trinity class system we all love and enjoy, CU (Camelot Unchained) is looking like a place to be.

There are some key things that will either attract or deter players:

-RvR based. Limited PvE, to the point of it being considered siege only.

-No easily obtainable 'great' gear. Nothing is handed to you. If its good- it will take plenty of time and effort. The sensation of it actually feeling like a reward. Completely player driven... gear does not drop.

-Extended version of the Holy-Trinity system (Healer, Tank, DPS) with a few additions such as Hybrid and Crafter.

-Crafting can play a LARGE part of the RvR experience if that is a role you want to play in it.

-Potential of Guild and Player Housing anywhere in the game world.

-No Auction House. Players can set up their own in attempts at selling to other players.

-DRM FREE.

-Will be Subscription based, BUT expected to be cheaper than the current MMOs.

If you're looking for that DAoC experience from long ago with its own new twists, I think this is the game for us. There will be much more information released along the way, so please stay tuned or post something that hasn't been said!
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-01-26 at 12:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This will probably be like a wet dream to some people. I personally don't like the idea of limited PVE... so not my cup of tea. Hope it does well, though.

If it amounts to a legitimate challenge to WoW's monopoly, i'll be cheering for it all the way. Competition is the greatest motivation for progress and improvement of all involved.

Deleted
    I do have a soft spot for mass player battles, If it's real-time combat :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    If it amounts to a legitimate challenge to WoW's monopoly, i'll be cheering for it all the way. Competition is the greatest motivation for progress and improvement of all involved.
    While I do agree competition is the BEST way to have multiple successful games in the industry, lets do our best to try to keep this from turning into a Game vs Game thread

If we want to compare it to DAOC, then by all means, go for it!

I cant be the only one that clicked this thinking it was about about *Dark age of Camelot*

But if PvP ( RvR ) is going to be anything like DaoC i so will be in for this ... but there is a long way to go, but ill be cheering for sure !

Ok... try not to get wet, try not to get wet, NVM RVR AND LIMITED PVE PWNZZZZZ

I hope this gets funded. I don't even play MMO's anymore because it's mostly just instanced PvP, or world PvP like in GW2 that falls short of what DAOC did.

To me, 3 realm RvR, with zero instanced PvP is the only way to go. And that's exactly what Camelot Unchained is doing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I hope this gets funded. I don't even play MMO's anymore because it's mostly just instanced PvP, or world PvP like in GW2 that falls short of what DAOC did.

To me, 3 realm RvR, with zero instanced PvP is the only way to go. And that's exactly what Camelot Unchained is doing
    Kickstarter is only for funding a small portion of it. It was more or less to prove to potential investors that it would have enough backing from us to be profitable. As stated, Obsidian is now backing the game which is HUGE.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only hope this could somehow be the "DAoC 2" game alot have been hoping for. This would be amazing, always been wanting a game with DAoC style RvR again, with the 3 factions and open world. Lets just hope they don't drop the ball
    "God Gave us a pinky so we can sprint and crouch."

Deleted
    I can't believe EA has the term "Realm vs Realm" trademarked :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    I can't believe EA has the term "Realm vs Realm" trademarked :S
    Wait what? They do?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Wait what? They do?
    Yeah, they say it in the "Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Launch" video. So they have to call it tri-realm combat instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL. I didn't catch that at ALL.

15+ Year Old Account
    I backed with 250 usd.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Kickstarter is only for funding a small portion of it. It was more or less to prove to potential investors that it would have enough backing from us to be profitable. As stated, Obsidian is now backing the game which is HUGE.
    Obsidian donated some (undisclosed) amount of money to kickstarter. I fail to see how this is HUGE.

And I think the plan right now is to get 2 mil donations + 2 mil from Jacob's own money to match that, plus whatever investors are willing to chip in.

I wonder what it'd be like to have 10k lying around to throw at stuff. 3 people did it.

That's really all I can think of right now.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Obsidian donated some (undisclosed) amount of money to kickstarter. I fail to see how this is HUGE.

And I think the plan right now is to get 2 mil donations + 2 mil from Jacob's own money to match that, plus whatever investors are willing to chip in.
    It is huge to the public, because someone like Obsidian saying, "We support this" is nice. The game is just kicking off as well and is already catching the attention of Obsidian as an investor?

I'm sure this'll be a fun game, but I just wanna point out something.

I hate being a cynical bastard, but I found the "Tuatha De Dannan" video really funny. "At this studio we're told to 'think out of the box'. We're very proud of our creativity, just remember that thing we did for that Oz thing! Have a look at our insane crazy race, Tuatha De Dannan, where the name is so crazy I can't even pronounce it!"

Then they proceed to show a video of a man with horns on his head. The name is the most creative aspect about him.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then they proceed to show a video of a man with horns on his head. The name is the most creative aspect about him.
    This is the truth, but its funny.