Poll: How much do you like/dislike science?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy reading up on finds and studies and such, but as a personal pursuance, I don't think I could make a career of it. I love having a small sampling of different sciences under my belt (It's amazing what kinda classes you gotta take when going for a CIS/Programming degree), and watching something and considering the physics of it fascinates me, but there are other sciences that bore me to tears, like biology, anatomy, etc.

I guess I'd say I "like" science overall, but in my view, "Loving" science is more for those who make it their life's work.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    Biology is mind-numbing for me, and Chemistry is also sort of bland. Physics is fun. Computer Science (not really a science, but the verdict's out I guess) is the best.
    biology is exciting. chemistry is bland!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well I hate science.

Stupid "you can't pass C" law. I wanna travel the galaxy, dammit!
    That's where you use science to bend the rules, learning to warp space and whatnot.

Can't say that I'm into science as a fascination, but I do have my respect for the scientific and those who are smart enough to make the world a better place through it. Really, without science, the Earth would still be flat, we would still be the center of the universe, and it would be the will of Ashumalabamaramasamafoxtrotbillgates (Modern God of Gods) that we have dusk and dawn and the four seasons...

Really, just looking at any old mythology makes me happy science is a thing...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Deleted
    I'm planning to do a degree in Biology this year So I like it

Well, given that I'm always up for learning and discovery and I value knowledge greatly and always seek to have a better understanding of the world that surrounds me, I love it. And the best part is that if something is wrong, and you can prove it's wrong with facts and quantifiable data, it's not denied, because denying it would not be scientific. It's just like math. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not true, you just need to prove it (and in math, the proof is in the equation, and actually, all science eventually boils down to physics, which boils down to math, so math= everything).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Yes. Varies with the fields though, big interest in Bio, hate Chem and am largely indifferent towards Phys. Probably shouldn't be doing a Biochem degree, but oh well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well I hate science.

Stupid "you can't pass C" law. I wanna travel the galaxy, dammit!
    The law only exists in our current understanding.

Hawking get of your ass [err bad choice of words] and invent time travel.

I'm an immunologist (with some bonus microbiology work!). I like them

10+ Year Old Account
    I like hearing about/learning about them. I never much liked actually putting things into a lab notebook though. So I guess I like them, but not enough to want to become a scientist.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really fond of it. Sure, I have a good level of appreciation for maths and comp sci, but the latter is barely even considered a science (I'm really only counting it because it's my domain) and the former has a lot of flaws as well.

Everything else basically falls into the 'not my thing' category. I absolutely despise physics, while the rest just don't really interest me much. The fact that I have a natural dislike of honesty and the usage of 'facts' backed up by 'sources' doesn't help either. I'm more into subjective things rather than objective things.

Long story short, I greatly appreciate their existence but I don't like them.
    Last edited by Coffer; 2013-04-07 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chemistry will be the end of me. I swear, it's interesting, but having to learn the difference between alkenes alkanes etc in detail WHEN THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME is going to make my head explode. Oh well, last year of chem for me

I very much enjoy discussing science. I work as an immunologist, so I do science on a day to day basis. Doing science isn't nearly as much fun as reading about it or talking about it. It's mostly an exercise in sheer frustration, punctuated with little bursts of exultation. All in all, it's a better way to make a living than most.

I'm kind of amused by how many people say they love science (at least here) and how many people seem to not really know anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a biology degree. So very much like.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Deleted
    I don't hate any of then and like all sciences but that doesn't mean I want to know all the gory little details and inner workings (read math and formulas:P)

10+ Year Old Account
    what is this science you speak of? *produces angry mob with pitchfork and torches*

i dont mind science.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

i love most physical sciences. i dont necessarily like scientists (on a personal level - ive run into some obnoxious ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biology is my favorite field, and I don't understand how anyone could dislike science. Yet, there aware a few people I know who don't like it for religious reasons. They're really old though
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i dont necessarily like scientists
    You and me both! Really though, it's a product of me not liking most people very much. On average, I'd characterize scientists as more socially awkward than actively bad. There's some narcissism, but nothing worse than among most professionals. It seems better among the younger group though, as least judging from conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You and me both! Really though, it's a product of me not liking most people very much. On average, I'd characterize scientists as more socially awkward than actively bad. There's some narcissism, but nothing worse than among most professionals. It seems better among the younger group though, as least judging from conferences.
    what ive run into more is arrogance - as though my knowing less of their chosen specialty makes me some kind of moron. funny thing though, my boss teaches classes on woodworking and finishing, and we get some seriously smart and powerful people on occasion - and in my house im the one with the info they want. i do remember the slights of certain types - and repay it by not acting in the same manner
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.