Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    I don't think he expected them to be half as popular as they became
    They are generic, of course they are popular.

Deleted
    I don't think he expected them to be half as popular as they became
    Yep, and to compensate he turned the single original and interesting race in Warcraft into Humans' lapdogs and apathetic losers we see in WoW.

Anyone butthurt over the origin of Night Elves re-rolled ladygoat years ago.

Deleted
    In game they are awful because they have to be to make Horde players feel good about themselves; in stories/novels they still have teeth.
    But Warcraft is a GAME universe, no matter how many rolls of TP covered with Knaak's graphomany is released. While I reluctanlty must accept the "lore" in Warcraft books as canon, the actual world of Warcraft is in WoW. Hence, it is what we see in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    its a shame they officially made it that they evolved from trolls.

now to explain dryads and keepers :\
    It's simple, Elune i just another titan construct similar to freya. She created race of keepers and dryads using malorne as a basic of her research. That would explain why she is cenarius "mother" and malorne is father. And we didn't even needed hentai for that. That would also explain why there are dryads and keepers inside ulduar - they are just another titanic creation, just more organic then most.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how it took 3 posts for this thread to become a "Is Elune a Naaru" wangfest.

I think that dark trolls evolved into what we call night elves by exposure to the waters of the WoE over some time. Elune -being whatevah, whatevah she is- took interest in these creatures, and their form as well. Ultimately she mothered forest creatures like cenarius because she wanted to get her freak on/protect the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by lucizanito View Post
    Well we know very few things but of the information we have we know that they're mutated Dark Trolls and that Elune had a hand in mutating them using the Well of Eternity. (I am right correct?)

However there are many blanks to be filled in but let's all discuss how you all think what happened. What do you think happened when they were in the transition from Troll to Elf?

Since we have no canon evidence of how it all went down it's just going to be wishful thinking now.
    They did not Mutate, they Evolved.

My theory is that the night elves evolved from dark trolls over the course of few generations while in close proximity to the well of eternity. Makes the most sense, alongside them being entirely transformed over a couple years into their current form. I mean, it IS a lake of incredibly potent arcane energy, it's possible it could transform a race into a more evolved state over the course of a year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardCS
    We're aware that some players are experiencing latency and server stability issues, and are investigating. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kena Lea
    @BlizzardCS not being able to connect to anything is a bit beyond latency dear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    It's simple, Elune i just another titan construct similar to freya. She created race of keepers and dryads using malorne as a basic of her research. That would explain why she is cenarius "mother" and malorne is father. And we didn't even needed hentai for that. That would also explain why there are dryads and keepers inside ulduar - they are just another titanic creation, just more organic then most.
    When talking about the Twin Consorts one dev confirmed that she WAS the spirit of the Moon. So I think they're just pointing out that she may just be divine and not made. A true deity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    its a shame they officially made it that they evolved from trolls.

now to explain dryads and keepers :\
    Keepers are the sons of Elune and Malorne. same with Dryads. Night elves stay former Dark trolls

No Tusk Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    When talking about the Twin Consorts one dev confirmed that she WAS the spirit of the Moon. So I think they're just pointing out that she may just be divine and not made. A true deity.
    There is one thing that speaks against elune being true deity. IF we assume that she indeed doesnt have any bonds to 4 big "space" factions (titans, naaru, old gods, legion) They simply wouldnt leave her alone. Old gods would like to drive her insane, titans to subdue and controll her, and legion to kill her. And i highly doubt she could match Sargeras, Patheon or Influence of the old gods. If we had any other mentions of deities i would be able to go with her being goddes. But for now im pretty sure she is member of bigger groups. Keep in mind that only other "god" we met so far was C'thun who was infact worshipped by Qiraji (who have suprisingly similar social structure to night elves with priest caste and warrior caste), and he turned out to be octopus with giant eyeball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    It's not a she, but it. Or do Naarus have genders o:
    The "Elune is maybe a Naaru"-deal is so far conjecture, hinted at but not definitive, so let's leave the last bit of NE-related mystique intact for a bit :P

I'm pretty sure it's canon though that the night elves-to-be settled near the well of eternity at some point and from that they turned into Night elves as we know them now (Not said anywhere how much time that transformation took, could have taken years, or generations, or maybe they just used a moon stone :P ), it hasn't been explicitly said what they started out as though, although the... ubiquitous nature of trolls (They're EVERYWHERE! >_< ) does make them good candidates as ancestor race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    There is one thing that speaks against elune being true deity. IF we assume that she indeed doesnt have any bonds to 4 big "space" factions (titans, naaru, old gods, legion) They simply wouldnt leave her alone. Old gods would like to drive her insane, titans to subdue and controll her, and legion to kill her. And i highly doubt she could match Sargeras, Patheon or Influence of the old gods. If we had any other mentions of deities i would be able to go with her being goddes. But for now im pretty sure she is member of bigger groups. Keep in mind that only other "god" we met so far was C'thun who was infact worshipped by Qiraji (who have suprisingly similar social structure to night elves with priest caste and warrior caste), and he turned out to be octopus with giant eyeball.
    Depends on what type of god she is. Old Gods seem more like the killable gods but yet can still come back but they can be wounded or "killed". I suspect she's a Abrahamic type of god that cannot be seen, harmed, or killed. Invincible and all powerful. If that's the case then the Titans know better than to attack something they can't win against. Old Gods would also be aware of this fact so there would be no point in trying to drive her insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what type of god she is. Old Gods seem more like the killable gods but yet can still come back but they can be wounded or "killed". I suspect she's a Abrahamic type of god that cannot be seen, harmed, or killed. Invincible and all powerful. If that's the case then the Titans know better than to attack something they can't win against. Old Gods would also be aware of this fact so there would be no point in trying to drive her insane.
    Considering good old "gods create races on they own image" I doubt it. I mean C'thun is ugly and Qiraji are ugly as well. And considering that night elves are slightly "challenged" i really doubt elune is omnipotent. Also god's in games almost always follow more personalized form since your description fits "holy light" much better then elune considering what we know.

While where at it, they might as well just make Vrykul decent from Hozen, so we would have full circle of what humans evolved from.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I've read somewhere that Night Elves and Trolls are kind off cousins. Not sure if the post was true...

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    I think I've read somewhere that Night Elves and Trolls are kind off cousins. Not sure if the post was true...
    Night Elves evolved from Dark Trolls, this is fact.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I don't even know if I should consider this post a trolling attempt... but Bright Elves? Worship of the Light on Azeroth came a bit later with the Sindorei... Worgen...? What?

Ugh. anyways. Elune is worshiped by the Night Elves (bright elves... oh, boy...), and, considering the Horde up to vanilla WoW does not truly worship the Light (Tauren worship the Sun, Trolls have their voodoo, Forsaken woship no one, and the Orcs... I have no idea), I believe it's a safe assumption to say that the Worship of the Light started with the Alliance. However, it's very hard, if not downright impossible, to say WHO between Dwarves and Humans began with the worshipping of the Light. I mean, Gnomes are technology-driven. So much so they didn't have priests until recently, and Night Elves, as mentioned before, worship Elune. Humans descent from the Vrykul of Northrend, and Dwarves descend from the Stone Dwarves who suffered the Curse of Flesh. But who came into being first is not defined, nor it is when the worship of the Light started, much less WHO started it.

Hmm. I think I went on a tangent on the topic's subject. Better go back to it. Ahem. Anyways. As for the Origin of the Night Elves, I don't think Elune had a hand in it. I think it was simply the Well's energies that caused the mutations as generations passed. Yup, I don't think it was an instant thing, either. I think it happened over generations.
    It said BIGHT, It's a typo!! The N is next to the B

worship of the light DID start with the "sindorei" (then high elves) and humans.

Rood

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    The "Elune is maybe a Naaru"-deal is so far conjecture, hinted at but not definitive, so let's leave the last bit of NE-related mystique intact for a bit :P

I'm pretty sure it's canon though that the night elves-to-be settled near the well of eternity at some point and from that they turned into Night elves as we know them now (Not said anywhere how much time that transformation took, could have taken years, or generations, or maybe they just used a moon stone :P ), it hasn't been explicitly said what they started out as though, although the... ubiquitous nature of trolls (They're EVERYWHERE! >_< ) does make them good candidates as ancestor race.
    I think it's the Warcraft encyclopedia that calls this ancestors "nocturnal humanoids" that's vague enough to be some sort of undiscovered creature, or just dark trolls -the little we saw of them, had skin colors VERY simmilar to the night elves-

Well Elune did make love to Malorne so I guess Night Elves might have taken that as an ok to you know.
    The dryads and keepers are the children of Cenarius (though his sons and daughters can obviously make more).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    The dryads and keepers are the children of Cenarius (though his sons and daughters can obviously make more).
    Hmmm maybe cenarius got it on with A NE....Maybe Tyrande LOL.