Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    But why is that?
    Probably too many people that have been trolling their friends with it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Probably too many people that have been trolling their friends with it...
    How can you troll somebody with it? o_0

10+ Year Old Account
    Place one on mailbox, place other far away, watch your friends flying away when he tries to read mail? I dunno.
    Maybe it's just because it could be placed on mail boxes O_o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Place one on mailbox, place other far away, watch your friends flying away when he tries to read mail? I dunno.
    Maybe it's just because it could be placed on mail boxes O_o
    Oh lol, that actually sounds pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirako View Post
    Wait a minute. I thought you couldn't use the gates while carrying the flag? Did they change it?
    You still can't when you have the flag. And I don't think you will ever be able to do so, since it would be overpowered. Even though it is quite strong for rbgs, and mandatory for arenas (if you are able to pull it of), since it can turn a defeat to a victory. Some key places to use on bgs (anywhere would be usefull just some tips)
    AB: Blacksmith:
    below blacksmith where is the river for lm/st. it can save much time to get faster.
    between flag/graveyard to help recently ressed ppl to get in range to interrupt flag.
    Stable's bridge going to lm. Put it next to the bridge as far away as you can, so if you need help ppl can get much faster to the flag.
    Silvershard mines : at the centre of the bg, between middle and lava.These are the carts most of the times your group will try to get, and while in combat it can help you to switch or get faster there than your enemy.
    Temple of Kotmogu:
    Inside the center of the map at between the 2 stairs, it can be of great help for your team to get certain orbs.
    Wsg:
    anywhere on the middle of the map where the fight will most propably happen, it can help an ally to get back to safety when he is gripped,
    also you can use it to help your healers for further kiting rogues or warriors (place it below your group from left to right)
    Other good place is to place it near your enemies berserker buff, ninjaing it can win a game :P)
    Twin Peaks,
    best place is at the river, it can help both defensively and offensively (pulling back or switching to attack much faster, since the enemy has to swim)
    Battle of Gilneas,
    Best place is at waterworks, between the edges of the lake, for obvious reasons.
    Between any other flag your team is owning at that time is good, since you will need fast travels to help on defence.
    Eye of the storm, between the 2 flags your team has or from middle to the back to disengage combat.

In general, in my opinion the best place to put your gate is between the edges of water. It can save a good ammount of time to run faster for defence, and is faster to disengage fights.

Like teleport is a great tool for us and many times make a big difference upon your survival, gate is a great tool for your group too. Ofc the cast is long and easy to be interrupted, but with some planing and some luck , it can be desicive for victories over defeats. Some benefits are : gap closer to objectives ,extra kite tool(only a warrior with flag intervene->heroic leap->charge can catch you,but he just wasted all his mobility ) and disengage from fights. Only cons are the cooldown, and that is not for immediate use.

EDIT:
    Obviously for arenas, no matter where, gate is the best thing to have for your team. I would say its about 30% of the utility your class brings to a combo. A gate can be more important that yourself sometimes
    Oh lol, that actually sounds pretty funny.
    That was the case in beta and early release, thats why they make it unavailable on major cities. At beta you could abuse the mailboxes, since if placed right noone could click on the mailbox xD
    Last edited by pitakos; 2013-04-07 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    Tortos - No uses? not quite it also drops aggro for a bit when used, good for getting a blood sucking bat off ur ass and on the tank, likely same use for some other fights.
    If your having to use gateways as an aggro dropping mechanic, on a fight where it shouldnt be needed, your raid has much bigger problems tbh. Of course you can use it to drop agro but its a fairly lame use for it
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Horridon's Trash. At the first bridge place a portal on the stairs and one on the edge to the far right. Watch as idiots click it and fly off.
    I get at least 10 people every week in lfr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reconsider View Post
    Horridon's Trash. At the first bridge place a portal on the stairs and one on the edge to the far right. Watch as idiots click it and fly off.
    I get at least 10 people every week in lfr.
    Hehe, but actually I meant: how can you troll people in capital cities with it. :P

Now I know: mailboxes.

My favorite troll in beta was if you could get the positioning just right you could have one gate go from the entrance of Trade Bank in SW to behind the wall where the bank tellers are. As people walk into the bank they are instantly ported behind the wall after which you could click off the gates and lock the poor guy back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    If your having to use gateways as an aggro dropping mechanic, on a fight where it shouldnt be needed, your raid has much bigger problems tbh. Of course you can use it to drop agro but its a fairly lame use for it
    It doesn't merely drop aggro it sets it to zero for 15 seconds with no cd, extremely useful on fights with adds so they won't blow up healers .01 seconds after spawning, such as on tortos and council (sand adds) Tanks can typically pick stuff up fast enough but every now and then it helps to ensure healers won't be a target of any new spawning add.

I tend to place gateways on most boss fights. I try to find a place that is both not directly in the middle of the fight but also within a second or two of movement for most people, like a few steps away from where a boss is tanked or where ranged people are gathering. Lots of times in circular rooms i will just put my gates roughly along the diameter of the room.

In 5.0, I stopped using gates a lot after getting the spell because tanks kept accidentally running through them and "fading" for 15 seconds, but now they are pretty safe to use. I currently also use the Gateway Control Stone (or whatever it's actually called) so I personally don't have to click to use it.

I generally don't aim to use the whole 80 yards, but just enough space to get out of melee for anything chasing the gate-user and avoid any incoming AoE. I think the 15 second fade is often more useful than the teleporting aspect. I definitely used gateways more on Kanrethad than every other encounter put together. I tried to use them in the Brawler's Guild but they would sometimes screw up the fight, triggering and then dequeueing the next player in line.

My experience in Throne of Thunder (LFR):
    On Jin'rokh, I placed portals in the corners of the room so people can use them to quickly get into a water pool or get out before a thunder storm- hopefully nobody accidentally teleports back into an electrified pool.

On Horridon and Troll Council, I just put the gates across from eachother in the middle-ish and use them for repositioning or threat management.

I didn't use gateways yet on Tortos or Megaera, but I could see a use for them on Tortos to allow someone to get away from turtles or aoe the bats without fear of aggro.

on Ji-Kun, if you place a portal near the edge (preferrably on one of the square parts that juts out a bit) and one near the center of the platform, you can help people avoid getting knocked off the platform by downdraft.

I forgot to try portals on Durumu, but I could see them being pretty useful to let people 'jump' across the beam sections or avoid the disintegration. I may accidentally portal into the beam, though, since eyesores make it very disorienting for me and I use the automatic gateway-jump stone.

One Primordious and Dark Animus, the gateways were mainly for jumping across the room quickly and/or dropping aggro temporarily. Like on most fights, it doesn't really accomplish anything super intriguing but can be useful for people once or twice per fight.

Deleted
    Found another use.

You know in Townlong Steppes that cave with the snow sprites?

There is a portion in the cave where it's a bottleneck and filled with snow sprites in snow, you HAVE to walk over them, spawning all those sprites.

But not with a portal baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found another use.

You know in Townlong Steppes that cave with the snow sprites?

There is a portion in the cave where it's a bottleneck and filled with snow sprites in snow, you HAVE to walk over them, spawning all those sprites.

But not with a portal baby.
    Wish I'd had your insight. I went into that cave (it's in Kun Lai btw) triggered one of those pesky sprites, then while fighting my Cunning of the Cruel trinket procced. SHADOWBOLTS EVERYWHERE.

I survived it, but man was that an annoying experience, one which I could have avoided, as it turns out >.<

Tbh, the only fight I've used Demonic Gateway, where I really think it's made a difference, is Kanrethad. The others are only instances where it was a minor change that cost more effort then not using it, for a minor benefit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Wish I'd had your insight. I went into that cave (it's in Kun Lai btw) triggered one of those pesky sprites, then while fighting my Cunning of the Cruel trinket procced. SHADOWBOLTS EVERYWHERE.

I survived it, but man was that an annoying experience, one which I could have avoided, as it turns out >.<

Tbh, the only fight I've used Demonic Gateway, where I really think it's made a difference, is Kanrethad. The others are only instances where it was a minor change that cost more effort then not using it, for a minor benefit.
    Yeah, Kunlai. :P

Also I looking forward to Kanrethad. Hope it isn't too hard.

My guild uses gateways on Iron Quan to get healers and people w/o sprints out of the tornado phase quickly. Also used on lei shin for getting people across the platforms quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's great for a lot of things, mostly getting across things, getting somewhere quicker and dropping aggro.
    Saving people in LFR on Ji'kun is the most useful use I have found in current content.. :P

Also I looking forward to Kanrethad. Hope it isn't too hard.
    Just don't expect to get him on your first few tries, He's a meanie! Great fight for using gateway though.

10+ Year Old Account
    When someone misses the elevator in mogushan palace. Place one down the next hall so they can catch up quicker. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Use mine to solo the Isle of Thunder rares, especially Mumta.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khargol View Post
    My guild uses gateways on Iron Quan to get healers and people w/o sprints out of the tornado phase quickly. Also used on lei shin for getting people across the platforms quickly.
    Has it been fixed that using the portal doesn't despawn the boss? Rumor had it it did but since it'd only happen once I've yet to figure it out.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've found the portals very useful in PvE. For Lei Shen, they can be used so that the group going to the far quadrant can get there in time for transition.