Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I could have sworn they offer the same deal with i7-3770k, not everything is listed in their catalog. Even their website won't always show deals that is there when you visit the store. Either way the CPU is so cheap compared to other places that it's basically like getting $40 off the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Tahapenes is talking about getting the motherboard deal on the 3770K when it has never been the case ever with Microcenter.
    You been in a MicroCenter lately? I have that is about 10 miles away and I was offered the combo deal when I picked up a i7 3770k.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I could have sworn they offer the same deal with i7-3770k, not everything is listed in their catalog. Even their website won't always show deals that is there when you visit the store. Either way the CPU is so cheap compared to other places that it's basically like getting $40 off the motherboard.
    Even if it is $80 off, whats the point in paying $100 more for an i7 unless the OP needs it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahapenes View Post
    You been in a MicroCenter lately? I have that is about 10 miles away and I was offered the combo deal when I picked up a i7 3770k.
    So because it was offered to you once, clearly it affects all MicroCenters? Especially if its not listed in their catalog?

10+ Year Old Account
    So because it was offered to you once, clearly it affects all MicroCenters? Especially if its not listed in their catalog?
    No need to be condescending. I've had plenty of stores offer deals that are not in their catalog. It's not an uncommon thing. I've had it happen to me in the same store from two different sides of the country.

Whether or not this applies here is unknown but it's not far fetched.

Deleted
    Even if it is $80 off, whats the point in paying $100 more for an i7 unless the OP needs it?

Nowhere did I say it's worth the extra $80-100 for OP, stop making up things.

I already explained to you they don't always list everything in their catalog, stop arguing about silly stuff just to get last the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    No need to be condescending. I've had plenty of stores offer deals that are not in their catalog. It's not an uncommon thing. I've had it happen to me in the same store from two different sides of the country.

Whether or not this applies here is unknown but it's not far fetched.
    So we should make recommendations based on something thats most likely not true?

Nowhere did I say it's worth the extra $80-100 for OP, stop making up things.

I already explained to you they don't always list everything in their catalog, stop arguing about silly stuff just to get last the word.
    Lets take a look.

Either way the CPU is so cheap compared to other places that it's basically like getting $40 off the motherboard.
    There's no point in talking about the 3770K unless its worth the extra $80-100. Period.

I don't see why everyone is so eager to point out the chance of a cheap 3770K when it is not ideal for a gaming build.

I don't see why everyone is so eager to point out the chance of a cheap 3770K when it is not ideal for a gaming build.
    The OP inquired about the 3770k. No reason to not provide pricing info while offering the 3570k as an appropriate solution for a gaming only build.

Also, I just bought my 3770k from MC two weeks ago. Didn't get the Mobo deal because the promotion doesn't include the 3770k. Why spread bad info?

I still bought the 3770k because it suited my needs. Perhaps it suits the OPs and perhaps it does not...

Deleted
    Lets take a look.

There's no point in talking about the 3770K unless its worth the extra $80-100. Period.

I don't understand why you're so eager to get the last word on something there is no point on talking about.

I still didn't say anywhere it was worth it to OP. If the deal is $230 + $50 off the motherboard then it's actually only $40 extra not $80-100. Some people might actually build something that could take advantage of the i7-3770k (even if it's only once in awhile) and maybe they're not super worried about missing out on a dinner (~$40) with the girlfriend.

No one is eager here, you read into stuff way too much. Lets focus on helping and providing info instead of dissecting each others replies to get the last word for no productive reason. OP also haven't replied to the thread for days, you have absolutely no idea if this is for a pure gaming build as your comment implied.

Marest summed it up pretty well in the first reply of the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    take advantage of the i7-3770k (even if it's only once in awhile) and maybe they're not super worried about missing out on a dinner (~$40) with the girlfriend.
    Amusingly, I often use the opposite of that argument, in that a dinner with the girlfriend gets more life mileage than a small system upgrade >.< haha
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Amusingly, I often use the opposite of that argument, in that a dinner with the girlfriend gets more life mileage than a small system upgrade >.< haha
    Yeah, to each his own some of us can do both haha

Yeah, to each his own some of us can do both haha
    And some of us had a wife that did both!

10+ Year Old Account
    Or aren't in any sort of relationship whatsoever :3.

in which case, yay! Money for computer parts.

Some people might actually build something that could take advantage of the i7-3770k (even if it's only once in awhile) and maybe they're not super worried about missing out on a dinner (~$40) with the girlfriend.
    So we're making recommendations based on what the OP most likely won't do.

In every thread where a 3770K is relevant, the intended purpose is stated up front. In threads like these where no use is stated, the intended use is invariably gaming, because new builders frequently can't think of a use for a rig beyond gaming.

No one is eager here, you read into stuff way too much. Lets focus on helping and providing info instead of dissecting each others replies to get the last word for no productive reason. OP also haven't replied to the thread for days, you have absolutely no idea if this is for a pure gaming build as your comment implied.
    So by adding a huge number of posts touting that the 3770K is available for cheap won't mislead the OP into purchasing something he probably doesn't need? How does this help the OP at all?

Or aren't in any sort of relationship whatsoever :3.

in which case, yay! Money for computer parts.
    Or you can save that $100 and use it for an upgrade later. There's a very compelling reason to almost never recommend i7s, despite what half of the posts in this thread are saying.

Deleted
    So we're making recommendations based on what the OP most likely won't do.

In every thread where a 3770K is relevant, the intended purpose is stated up front. In threads like these where no use is stated, the intended use is invariably gaming, because new builders frequently can't think of a use for a rig beyond gaming.

So by adding a huge number of posts touting that the 3770K is available for cheap won't mislead the OP into purchasing something he probably doesn't need? How does this help the OP at all?
    Bold part = anecdotal evidence (and a wild claim (second part))

Here is a fact for you, we don't know OP's intended use as it's not included in the first post nor has he replied since then. Offering options and advice is in no shape or form a bad thing.

There is no misleading here, OP can read the entire thread and by reading it he should already know if he believes an i7-3770k is for him or not (again as Marest pointed out in first reply).
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-04-10 at 04:56 PM.

And I'm clearly the one who loves to get the last word in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you can save that $100 and use it for an upgrade later. There's a very compelling reason to almost never recommend i7s, despite what half of the posts in this thread are saying.
    NOWHERE in this thread did i recommend a 3770k for $100 more. $40 yes. $100, no. Please don't put words in my mouth

NOWHERE in this thread did i recommend a 3770k for $100 more. $40 yes. $100, no. Please don't put words in my mouth
    A 3770K without the motherboard deal is essentially $100 more.

Deleted
    A 3770K without the motherboard deal is essentially $100 more.
    Seriously do you have nothing better to do? The i5-3570k is $190 + tax, the i7-3770k is $230+ tax that is a $40 difference regardless of any motherboard deals, besides they've offered the i7 with motherboard deal regardless of what the catalog says. I'm sure you're going to twist and turn our words so it ends up being $100 "you need to get a motherboard as well... bla bla."

Accept that it's possible some people want to buy it no matter what you may believe is the OP's intended use, stop speculating.

Seriously do you have nothing better to do? The i5-3570k is $190 + tax, the i7-3770k is $230+ tax that is a $40 difference regardless of any motherboard deals, besides they've offered the i7 with motherboard deal regardless of what the catalog says. I'm sure you're going to twist and turn our words so it ends up being $100 "you need to get a motherboard as well... bla bla."
    More like point out that the i7-3770K + Motherboard deal most likely doesn't exist besides a few chance occurrences?

Accept that it's possible some people want to buy it no matter what you may believe is the OP's intended use, stop speculating.
    So we should just bury our heads in the ground while new builders squander their money?

How about we make a strong but reasonable case against the i7-3770K and let the OP make his own decision rather than distracting him with how cheap the 3770K is at Microcenter?

Deleted
    <etc...>
    This was already done in first reply as I've mentioned a few times. The i7-3770K is cheap at MC whether he needs it or not we won't know until he replies so lets stop speculating and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Will you use HT? If the answer is "no" or "I don't know" (hint: if the computer is meant for gaming the answer is no) then swap that to a 3570k and save yourself $80.

Case? SSD? HDD? PSU?