Poll: What would you do?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Im like a couple others here on the thread, Ive been on both sides for this, and when it was my error that resulted in a loss, I didnt even bother whispering the person. Its 100% the sellers responsibility to set the price.

I would buy the item on the spot. Just like I bought the world BoE shield in the second week of Cataclysm for less money than the inferior crafted BS epic shield would have cost to make (something like 3k instead of the 50 grand that World Drop shield was usually going for). I recently bought an Archaeology pet from the AH for 2g50 (usual price is 1000-1500).

I have yet to be messaged asking if I can reimburse them the lost money.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sell his back his stuff for 10k.

He still makes a profit out of it and you get to have a nice cash too. Also it'll be a good lesson for him to be more careful.
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

As a power user of the ah....I dont expect others to do it for me, I dont for them.

Relist or use.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say it depends on a) how they ask and b) what they offer as compromise/thanks for the return. I also say that no matter what the buyer would be justified in keeping it and it wouldn't be the end of their world if they just returned it...so refer back to a).
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. I have a pretty good ingame bullshit detector when it comes to economics, so I'm pretty sure I could tell if he were begging me to give it back in a vain attempt to correct a devestating mistake he made or if he's just annoyed and is trying to see if I'm gullible enough to hand the item back. If I get the feeling he's truely mourning what happened, and isn't doing the whole passive-aggressive thing that's so popular then I'd likely get it back to him. Would depend on my mood, and how much I believe in his story if I'd make him pay me a finder's fee or not.

I'd probably sell it back for twice as much as I bought it. He has to be somewhat responsible for his mistake, but I'm not a cruel asshole.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    The AH is a warzone. It's actually a part of the game a lot of people enjoy as a main sport inside of WoW.

You really have these divisions while playing:

- PVE
    - PVP
    - AH
    - Community/Chat/RP
    - Pet Battles

I've accidentally missed a 0 or 9 or a digit and lost a lot in the past - but sadly the game states when you put something on the AH: It's sale is Final

If they weren't douchy when they PM'd me, I'd give it back. If they were a dick about it, I'd gladly keep it.

The community is absolute shit. I try to do my part to keep it pleasant in any way I can.

The results of the poll so far is not surprising, given the state of the community.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-04-08 at 05:41 AM.

Deleted
    The Following Rules of Acquisition come to mind
    • 3 Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to.
    • 10 Greed is eternal.
    • 16 A deal is a deal

a pet was posted 5k instead of 50k . he asked it back niiiicely, so i gave him back. gave me like 500g for my trouble.

Basicly it you visit your friend for an Xmas party and you ask him where your present is, and he nods towards one of the corners, you can't take home their kids just because she stands there too...
    Last edited by temp2021ph; 2013-04-08 at 08:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's their responsibility to get the price right on the AH. I wouldn't question it to be honest. It's perfectly possible that they have multiples of the item and don't want to hassle with it so put it out there for some ridiculous price so they can be done with it.

If they PM'd me about it, I'd be polite and maybe even sympathetic but it's really on them. All of that said, I'd be open to trading for something else. Really it depends on them.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
    a pet was posted 5k instead of 50k . he asked it back niiiicely, so i gave him back. gave me like 500g for my trouble.

Basicly it you visit your friend for an Xmas party and you ask him where your present is, and he nods towards one of the corners, you can't take home their kids just because she stands there too...
    That's an awesome analogy!

OT: I'm easy to guilt trip so I'd probably give it back; if I suspected it was a mistake though I'd probably try to equip it asap before I got whispered so I couldn't...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
    unless your name is Jimmie Saville

However,
    If you was to go into a shop and buy a pair of shoes that had the price of £30 on the ticket, you get to the counter and the till says £30. you Pay the £30 for your shoes and walk out of the shop happy with your purchases, a Shop attendant then chases you down the road a few mins later saying there was a problem and the shoes should really have been £130 and could you either return them or pay the difference.

you would tell them to take a hike. its exactly the same situation, only difference is that people expect you to "be nice" and "not be a douche" when in reality it is the sellers fault, they put the item up for X price, They didnt bother to check or be careful enough on how much they where putting it up for, and then start to complain when someone buys the item that they listed it for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    unless your name is Jimmie Saville

However,
    If you was to go into a shop and buy a pair of shoes that had the price of £30 on the ticket, you get to the counter and the till says £30. you Pay the £30 for your shoes and walk out of the shop happy with your purchases, a Shop attendant then chases you down the road a few mins later saying there was a problem and the shoes should really have been £130 and could you either return them or pay the difference.

you would tell them to take a hike. its exactly the same situation, only difference is that people expect you to "be nice" and "not be a douche" when in reality it is the sellers fault, they put the item up for X price, They didnt bother to check or be careful enough on how much they where putting it up for, and then start to complain when someone buys the item that they listed it for.

Interesting you should mention this. Cos in most countries, there are actually laws on this exact subject. Granted, your example isn't absurd enough to justify this law to come into play, but here goes anyway. If you go to a computer store and you see a laptop for 1,000 dollars instead of 1.000 dollars, ANY idiot would be able to see that the price tag is blatently wrong. In this case, the seller can in fact by law refuse the sale altogether.

On the topic, I would in a heartbeat give it back if the person was nice about it. Had I already equipped it, I would even compensate somewhat int he range on 10'ish k, whatever my wallet seemed comfortable with.

And to whoever says it's NOT a moral grey area, I can't even relate to that. NOONE argues that it is NOT the sellers fault, but that does not mean you can take advantage of them with no moral repurcussions. I don't blame the people wanting to keep the item, just don't tell yourself it's morally fine :P
    Last edited by mmoc09d50dc416; 2013-04-08 at 11:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Claeshj View Post
    Interesting you should mention this. Cos in most countries, there are actually laws on this exact subject. Granted, your example isn't absurd enough to justify this law to come into play, but here goes anyway. If you go to a computer store and you see a laptop for 1,000 dollars instead of 1.000 dollars, ANY idiot would be able to see that the price tag is blatently wrong. In this case, the seller can in fact by law refuse the sale altogether.
    There is a difference between refusing the sale at the point of sale, and chasing after a customer for more money once the sale has been completed.

Depends on my mood really. There were times when I did this back when I was still playing the AH. I'd see on the WoW app that all my auctions were sold out, then notice the amount was only 5-10k instead of 50-100k. I would never ask someone to return an item for a refund because of my own stupidity - therefore I would have a difficult time handing an item back that I had won fairly, because someone else had made a mistake.

If they were nice about it though and I hadn't already equipped the item, I may give it back to them.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

If its mispriced its a bargain, the AH is there to remove player interaction so you can sell things for the price you want. If you cock up putting the correct price you want it's your own fault. I wouldn't give them back. You have no obligation to. As for the moral behind this, I don't think there is one. Only human error to blame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    There is a difference between refusing the sale at the point of sale, and chasing after a customer for more money once the sale has been completed.
    It actually extends to include a grace period. This is because the clerk might not be the "actual" seller, and to further protect the "real" seller, there is a grace period in case the clerk was as dumb as a doorknob

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Níghtmare View Post
    If its mispriced its a bargain, the AH is there to remove player interaction so you can sell things for the price you want. If you cock up putting the correct price you want it's your own fault. I wouldn't give them back. You have no obligation to. As for the moral behind this, I don't think there is one. Only human error to blame.
    I think you and a lot of others int his thread don't really know what morals are. Human error or "other people being at fault" does not exclude the question of morals. Moral has to do with the distinction between right and wrong, nothing more - nothing about blame. In my book, taking advantage of someone's mistake for own personal gain is wrong, thus not living up to my morals. People can have different morals ofc, but the basic concept of it relating to right/wrong and no blame remains :P
    Last edited by mmoc09d50dc416; 2013-04-08 at 11:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only had 2 occurrences when I buy items way cheaper than expected.
    I used to buy 20 truegolds in Cata for only around 1000 gold. I didn't tell the seller at all, and the seller didn't ask back.
    Then I bought an epic BoE cloak for my alt for a really cheap price (can't remember how much), but I was in a good mood at that time and asked the seller if it was intended. He replied and said it was by accident but he let me keep it as appreciation of concern (and it was shortly after christmas)