Poll: What would you do?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I keep the item and the seller learns a valuable lesson. A mistake that never gets repeated is priceless.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd give them back in exchange for at least what I paid (I shouldn't be penalized for their mistake either). However, if I put an item up for the wrong amount and someone bought it before I took it down I probably wouldn't even ask for them back. As a third party observer I also wouldn't blame the buyer for keeping it.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd give it back. There's enough hateful people in this game, I don't wish to contribute when someone makes an accident.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Claeshj View Post
    It actually extends to include a grace period. This is because the clerk might not be the "actual" seller, and to further protect the "real" seller, there is a grace period in case the clerk was as dumb as a doorknob
    Name one country that allows sellers to confiscate purchased goods from you because they made a mistake during sale. Or one company that does that.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    a) Give them back.

or

b) Tell them 'too late, that's the price you set, that's what I paid for'.
    If people would show normal behavior in WoW (or the internet in general), I would give it back, but that's not the case. That player probably wouldn't give it back either, despite him being very very nice when begging you for his item (or gold). Statistically, you'll rather get a "STFU noob" in WoW than your item back.

Now one may say that it's not the correct path to be "bad, disrespectful and rude" just because the majority is. Where's the shining, positive example? I tried, and again, statistically it's not worth it, it makes you feel like an idiot. I don't say that I insult others, I never do that, but in such a case as described by the OP, which is positioned between the two extremes, I would choose the non honorable path, keep the item and tell him in a friendly way that I'm not gonna return it.

Anyone can do a nice test: go ahead and post 10 different fast selling items for 10% of their value, and then whisper the buyer and explain the situation. I guess the result would be 9 to 1, 9 STFUs (or no reaction) vs 1 item returned.

I once had a positive experience, I posted some random low lvl crap for 25g on the AH. Someone bought it, and whispered me that it's not worth only 25g, so he gave me an additional 100g for it. I thanked him and took the gold without asking for it's real worth, even if it was worth 2000g, it was still a very nice gesture from him. Accepting it made him feel also better, I guess.
    Last edited by mmocc9639e0326; 2013-04-08 at 02:35 PM.

the "price" is what someone is willing to pay for it. considering that on my server just one haunted essence is listed for 20k, the 20k 522 item would be a pipe dream to begin with.

prices are overinflated so as they are.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    There's a confirmation box. This happened to me once during Wrath with a Greatness trinket and you can bet whenever I'm putting up any item of worth I check the confirmation box before clicking it. It's nice to be nice, but it's even nicer taking two seconds out of your day to prevent such mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Name one country that allows sellers to confiscate purchased goods from you because they made a mistake during sale. Or one company that does that.
    USA, however it involves direct pay from the government. If they screw up your pay the individual that screwed it up is not held responsible, you are. And they will take the money back, not ask for it.

Deleted
    I sold a Relic of Xuen for 600g instead of 16,000g once. The reply I got from the buyer was "LOL SUCKS2B YOU, FAG".

The internet != real life I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishrage View Post
    I sold a Relic of Xuen for 600g instead of 16,000g once. The reply I got from the buyer was "LOL SUCKS2B YOU, FAG".

The internet != real life I guess...
    hopefully this was well before the darkmoon trinkets became irrelevant old gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    his own fault realy,that's how the wow market works.I would buy and probably resell,and no whispers anyway since I sell/buy on banker alt only.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Too me it's just gear. Ruining a players day over it is just stupid. I'd give it back.
    /bow

really you restore a bit of my broken trust/hope in humanity.

Keep the item

Its sad but if they fuck up why not take advantage cause if you dont someone else WILL

Give it back, but thats just me. That will probably make him feel really crappy irl maybe even a little sick to his stomache and is it really worth making someone feel bad IRL for saving 18k?
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Too me it's just gear. Ruining a players day over it is just stupid. I'd give it back.
    Exactly. It's just pixels on a screen. I'm sure he'll be more careful with the next set of pixels he puts up for auction. Just a game. He shouldn't get mad at anyone other than himself for not being more careful. We've all done it. It's part of being human.

Deleted
    My reaction would depend on my current mood at the time in question. If I were happy, I'd pay him half of the price he intended to put it up for in the first place. On a regular day I would just take it and be glad I was so lucky. If I were annoyed or angry for whatever reason.....I'd laugh at him for making such a mistake just for not looking for a few extra seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    USA, however it involves direct pay from the government. If they screw up your pay the individual that screwed it up is not held responsible, you are. And they will take the money back, not ask for it.
    How is that relevant to a buying from somebody? It has nothing to do with sales whatsoever.

Not only USA has that rule but I've seen a news story a while back in New Zealand where a couple was given something like $10 million instead of $10k into their bank account. They took the money out and ran to Hong Kong. They were extradited back and charged for theft or something.

OT: I would relist the item and make a profit out of it. Seller's mistake for putting it up for the wrong price. Blindly clicking the confirmation box without checking is your own fault, so that's 2 mistakes seller made.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a Swift Springstrider (Noblegarden mount) for 5g the other day. Have yet to recieve a message from the bidder, but even if I DID want to send them extra gold or give it back, I don't know the guys name.

But I'm also a horrible person, and I'll keep it even though I already know it. It was either their mistake or they were being VERY generous. If it was a mistake, I honestly don't know how you could miss THREE 0's. THREE ZERO's!

But my mate did tell me that his Remote AH messes up prices from time to time, so that might be what caused it.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2013-04-08 at 02:56 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how they approach me. If they're being nice and all and not demanding, I'd probably be like "ok, let's make it 15k?" (if that's a reasonable for it). After all, they're not paying any AH fees on that part of our deal. I can't see myself acting any different really. I'd feel bad. Though I have no problem with buying and keeping it if they don't contact me. I've done enough AH-blunders of my own and haven't ever contacted people about them because I was feeling too embarrassed.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Morally, the right thing to do is to give it back.

Morally, the right thing for the seller to do is to offer to sell back it to you at cost, or even below cost - basically it would be wrong of him to go and rip someone else off for an item that by all rights he only had due to the goodwill of someone else.

Personally, I wouldn't feel right about either profiting, or gaining something, at someone else's expense just because they made a simple mistake.

If I hadn't equipped it yet, I would give it back. I would hope that he would compensate me for my honesty, and I would give him a piece of my mind if he simply instead relisted it at a high profit margin.

If I had already equipped then the moral question becomes very cloudy. For example: Let's say the item cost 15K to make, but that I wouldn't have bought the item for more than 10K anyways, since I would rather go without the item than pay the going rate for. In effect I only bought the item because it was such a bargain. In the end, my conscience would be clear if I payed him the difference to 10K. Yes, I would feel bad for him that I am wearing an item that cost him 5K more to make than he made on it, but at the same time, it would not be reasonable to expect me to pay more than I would have just because he made a mistake.

Ultimately I wouldn't do these things because I have to. I do them because that is how I would like to be treated in a similar situation (although tbh if I made an AH mistake like that I would just let it go). You can't expect society to treat you fairly if you aren't prepared to do the same, even if most of the time you do get away with it.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2013-04-08 at 03:07 PM.