Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,728
    Unless I'm Arcane, I never let AT expire unless I got incredibly lucky and got too many Pyro Crits/FoF & BF proccs. Even then, I'm just spamming instants.

    Dunno if I'm the only one there, but yeah, I would never cast Frostbolt when I use AT.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSirius View Post
    There is a fight with one way of doing it where you don't ever move, at all.
    And what fight that would be? Atleast on normal and heroic you're supposed to move on all fights.

    Also I prefer icy flows or blazing speed over pom for frost.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Janir View Post
    And what fight that would be? Atleast on normal and heroic you're supposed to move on all fights.

    Also I prefer icy flows or blazing speed over pom for frost.
    You can kill Primordius by standing still the entire fight if you ignore the adds completely (it's an achievement as well) in normal difficulty.

    Regardless, there are indeed some fights where PoM gets beaten by the 2 other talents, but in most fights the PoM is a DPS increase if you know when you are supposed to move and you can account for it with procs.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotfix View Post
    You can kill Primordius by standing still the entire fight if you ignore the adds completely (it's an achievement as well) in normal difficulty.

    Regardless, there are indeed some fights where PoM gets beaten by the 2 other talents, but in most fights the PoM is a DPS increase if you know when you are supposed to move and you can account for it with procs.
    Procs are RNG, if you do not have Frozen and have to move due a a random fight mechanics, say the Lightning Orb of Jin'Rokh, you cast your PoM FB, and then what ? Throw icelances at the boss ?

    No, PoM is shitty for frost, period... Icy flows is wayyyy ahead in terms of utility,mobility, and dps.
    Made by mountandpetlover, big thanks !

  5. #25
    Field Marshal Daniwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    68
    haha wow, you might in the worst case scenario cast 2-3 less FB during a bossfight. Such a high dps loss
    Why have a signature? What I just posted states how retarded I am anyways.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Procs are RNG, if you do not have Frozen and have to move due a a random fight mechanics, say the Lightning Orb of Jin'Rokh, you cast your PoM FB, and then what ? Throw icelances at the boss ?

    No, PoM is shitty for frost, period... Icy flows is wayyyy ahead in terms of utility,mobility, and dps.
    I said in most fights it's better, not all. Jin'rokh is one of those fights where Icy Flows is better, indeed. Saying PoM is bad and not as useful as the other talents on all fights is ignorant. We have blink to cover most movement and in cases where you have to just move a little bit (i.e. Rockfall on Tortos), you can always keep a single charge of FoF at your disposal to account for that. Also, if you're like me, whenever you have proc(s), you can re-position yourself to reduce the chance of getting into situations where you have to move instantly.

    Night Elf Mage.
    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/eu/Silvermoon/Dux/

    As I said before, with proper knowledge of a fight and your class, you can time your shit to account for the movement so the other 2 talents won't be needed at all.

    To do a little bit of napkin math as well, let's assume the usual fight takes 9 minutes and that a Frostbolt is 1.5 seconds cast.
    PoM has a cooldown of 1 minute and 30 seconds, which means on a fight that lasts 9 minutes, you get 6 PoM's. If you use all those PoM's on Frostbolt, you essentially saved yourself 9 seconds of cast time. Oh, I forgot that on a 9 minute fight you get to use 3 Alter Times, which is 3 additional PoM's which is 4.5 additional seconds which is a total of 13.5 seconds.

    With that math, you'd have to move for 13.5 or more seconds without dealing any damage at all on an entire fight before PoM becomes a DPS loss compared to Icy Flows. And it's not like Icy Flows allows you to cast all the time on movement fights, is it? It's 2 spells each 45 seconds.

    13.5 seconds is a lot of time and while there might be some cases where I have to move quickly and I'm out of procs and NT doesn't need to be refreshed, I can assure you that it's never more than 13.5 seconds in total. Not to mention that there are also cases where you have to move but Icy Flows is on cooldown.
    Last edited by Dotfix; 2013-04-11 at 03:21 PM.

  7. #27
    Warchief DirewolfX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,009
    POM only saves you 0.5 seconds per Frostbolt (assuming a 1.5 second cast time), since you still have the GCD. Your 9 POMs save you 4.5 seconds of cast time if you're just using it on cooldown to get a DPS boost. So that's what, 3 extra frostbolts?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    POM only saves you 0.5 seconds per Frostbolt (assuming a 1.5 second cast time), since you still have the GCD. Your 9 POMs save you 4.5 seconds of cast time if you're just using it on cooldown to get a DPS boost. So that's what, 3 extra frostbolts?
    Damn. I guess my napkin math failed after all.

    Regardless, 3 extra Frostbolts and 15-21% chance on each of those Frostbolts to grant a FoF charge. Meh, I see your point now. I just don't understand why PoM is there in the first place then, when 3 Frostbolts on a 9 minute fight is barely 200 dps. Something seems very odd with that.

    I'll continue to use PoM though and Ice Floes on encounters that I know would benefit me more. Out of all 12 fights on normal, Jin'rohk, Ji-kun, Durumu (maybe Iron Qon) and Lei Shen are the only fights I know it will be a DPS increase for me to use Ice Floes. The other fights requires very little movement or has adds in it which eliminates the use of Ice Floes if played properly.

    As for the HC fights I've done so far, Jin'rohk and Ji-kun is Icy flows. Horridon and Tortos is PoM.
    Last edited by Dotfix; 2013-04-11 at 04:11 PM.

  9. #29
    Warchief DirewolfX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,009
    Well, it's the movement tier, not really the DPS boost tier. Fire gets some abuse out of it with the alter time macro. Blazing Speed or Icy Flows aren't giving you an amazing DPS boost either; it's just movement utility.

  10. #30
    In case you can't read, PoM is garbage for Frost. Ice Floes: 2 moving casts per 45 sec, move normal speed. Blazing Speed: 150% mvmt speed, get out of shit faster, continue casting, 25 sec CD. PoM: 1 free cast, mvmt at normal speed, 1 min CD.

    Welcome to the movement tier, turreters need not apply.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    For pve, blink is more than enough mobility. PoM still is useful if you can do it correctly with alter time.
    eh.

    Iron Qon would like a word with you in his windstorm room.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •