Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

PvE : Durumu & life drain VS Necrotic strike?

Is it possible to absorb his healing with necrotic strike plz?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not 100% sure, but I think you can't absorb it entirely. From what I've seen, the healing done by Life Drain when you fail it's a higher than the Necrotic Strike Absorb.
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

it heals for WAY more than necrotic strike can absorb, so you'll be wasting your time. Don't try to cheese it and do the mechanic the proper way.

When my guild killed primordius and we were pretty bad at dealing with the life drain for the most part. Most people would play the "I hope someone else soaks it and not me" card. To counter it's affect a little bit, depending on raid comp, you can have an MS debuff on the boss, via dps monk, feral cat or even use a hunter's widow vendom. I won't say arms warrior because those seem to be non existant atm lol.

The DPS lost from spamming NS as a DK is just too much to be worth it.

Necrotic strike absorbs any healing.

What you need to be asking is whether necrotic strike to absorb the heal is better than just doing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspark View Post
    it heals for WAY more than necrotic strike can absorb, so you'll be wasting your time. Don't try to cheese it and do the mechanic the proper way.
    On a per-rune basis, one Necrotic Strike does far more effective damage on Durumu than a Scourge Strike does, making it technically a net gain to use NS on Durumu. But if you're playing Unholy in the first place, you'll be needing your Death Runes for FeS.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Does anyone know of how to check this in WoL? Specifically how much was absorbed by the necrotic debuff?

Sure Meejum, check the "Healing Done" of Durumu and how much was absorbed.

Durumu doesnt "do" the healing, the Hungry eye does, I believe. But looking at the hungry eye only shows damage done from life drain. When I look at durumu, i see a number of necrotics on him, but it is in the Healing taken section and its all zeros and hence overheal. Don't know why WoL doesn't show it, but on pulls I am looking at, it reports zero healing done to durumu.

I can get a good idea of how much durumu healed by looking at life drain damage, but I can't tell how much necrotic is affecting the heal, since necrotics have nothing to do with the damage done on the players affected by life drain

Deleted
    I'm not sure how to do that with the logs but you could always just manually calculate the absorb based on the damage from the necrotic if you're desperate.

Out of interest, could you link the logs in question so I can take a look myself? I play blood but it might be worth throwing out some NS when not tanking but vengeance is still stacked.

Cant seem to figure out how to find the actual healing done by life drain. The spell ID on wowhead isn't recognized by WoL, or at least from what I can tell it isn't. I can see the first time life drain triggers, and the damage it does to people, but not anything in regards with what happens to Durumu. I could tease out the actual necrotic debuffs, and since the time from the initial application to when it fades is usually less than a second, I am assuming that the "remaining" number is actually the healing getting blocked, see the small sample here:

[21:39:12.899] xxx casts Necrotic Strike on Durumu the Forgotten
    [21:39:13.156] Durumu the Forgotten afflicted by Necrotic Strike from xxx (Remaining: 72624)
    [21:39:13.156] xxx Necrotic Strike Durumu the Forgotten 36983
    [21:39:13.943] xxx's Necrotic Strike fades from Durumu the Forgotten (Remaining: 72624)
    [21:39:18.820] xxx casts Necrotic Strike on Durumu the Forgotten
    [21:39:19.192] Durumu the Forgotten afflicted by Necrotic Strike from xxx (Remaining: 95810)
    [21:39:19.192] xxx Necrotic Strike Durumu the Forgotten 46278
    [21:39:19.994] xxx's Necrotic Strike fades from Durumu the Forgotten (Remaining: 95810)
    [21:39:20.817] xxx casts Necrotic Strike on Durumu the Forgotten
    [21:39:21.187] Durumu the Forgotten afflicted by Necrotic Strike from xxx (Remaining: 100529)
    [21:39:21.187] xxx Necrotic Strike Durumu the Forgotten 43336
    [21:39:21.592] xxx's Necrotic Strike fades from Durumu the Forgotten (Remaining: 100529)

That's not the whole log, I just copied a few lines. Am I correct in thinking that since the debuff is getting eaten almost instantly, that the healing blocked is actually the "remaining" above?

I dont really care to even guess as to what the DK-in-question's AP was each time he hit necrotic, or whether he hit them at the right time to actually absorb the life drain. Would just like to see how much necrotic is doing vs. Durumu healing.
    Last edited by Meejum; 2013-04-11 at 06:29 PM.

Deleted
    From that alone it looks very much to me like the entire absorb is just being nuked through as soon as the next heal tick comes in. Without the log itself i'm not sure if I could tell more but it certainly looks like the NS is absorbing the healing but as the DK in question hasn't 'built up' and absorb beforehand it's impossible to say if the absorb is really working.

It certainly looks like it's working but the heal is obviously absolutely huge in comparison to a single NS worth of absorb - 100k is insignificant when the boss can be healing for hundreds of thousands + a tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Damyou View Post
    It certainly looks like it's working but the heal is obviously absolutely huge in comparison to a single NS worth of absorb - 100k is insignificant when the boss can be healing for hundreds of thousands + a tick.
    Still makes NS the most damaging ability since you generally can't avoid the heal completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    When my guild killed primordius and we were pretty bad at dealing with the life drain for the most part. Most people would play the "I hope someone else soaks it and not me" card. To counter it's affect a little bit, depending on raid comp, you can have an MS debuff on the boss, via dps monk, feral cat or even use a hunter's widow vendom. I won't say arms warrior because those seem to be non existant atm lol.
    fury brings the mortal strike debuff too with wild strike

Quote Originally Posted by Damyou View Post
    From that alone it looks very much to me like the entire absorb is just being nuked through as soon as the next heal tick comes in. Without the log itself i'm not sure if I could tell more but it certainly looks like the NS is absorbing the healing but as the DK in question hasn't 'built up' and absorb beforehand it's impossible to say if the absorb is really working.

Its still "damage" on the boss, though. The amount that Durumu heals (which I would still love to be able to see on a log) is not the question, whether Necrotic is worth a death rune is. In the worst case from the logs I'm looking at, it was a total of 90k strike damage+absorb, where the highest was over 170k, later on in the log query. I guess if one's other 1 (death) rune abilities give better output than that, or whatever values one's DK can hit, then its not worth using. Of course, this is assuming a FB playstyle, since one should be able to roll diseases the entire fight, at least on normal (have no idea about heroic).

That said, still not sure that the logs are being read correctly. Any other expertise in that area would be welcomed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Still makes NS the most damaging ability since you generally can't avoid the heal completely.
    True enough, unless you were going to take this to extremes and try to stack millions worth of absorb by NS over the course of a minute or 2 preceding the hungry eye. I suppose provided the whole NS gets used and you never drop it then it's still a net gain.

Edit: @Meejum: you're definitely going to get more out of SR but pre-execute that's probably the best DPR you can be using, good shout for that tbh.

This is interesting for blood since vengeance levels will easily get you up to blocking 150k healing. Definitely worth a death rune if your able to spare a few.

Thought about using it as blood as well , but then I think you generally can't spare the Death Runes unless you're off-tanking in which case NS doesn't do much anyway !:

True but if your OT'ing or just swapping NS is already the hardest hitting ability per rune we have (150% vs. DS 259% and HS 136.5% w/2 diseases). Of course the general disclaimer of don't be a dummy worry about AM first applies, but this will be a increase to my DPS weaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Thought about using it as blood as well , but then I think you generally can't spare the Death Runes unless you're off-tanking in which case NS doesn't do much anyway !:
    Depends on when you swap really, if you're not solo tanking.
    Since there's absolutely zero sources of damage outside the colorblind/maze phases, during the downtime your vengeance won't recalculate. After a taunt you're at 150k vengeance for a solid 20 seconds, but taking no damage.

You've got absolute eons to build up a shield for the next time you tank, might as well use the occasion to weave in Necro.