Deleted

beginning in PvP: what do I need in gear/addons?

On my Paladin, I haven't entered a BG or arena in over 2 years, not since they introduced holy power. however, I want to see how it goes now.

I'm not interested in rated PvP, just some casual non-rated BG's. how do I start with e.g. gear? get the crafted PvP set? just farm BG's in my PvE set? farm dungeons as prot and convert Justice to Honor? how should I approach this?

and addons? I know that Healers Have To Die is pretty major, anything else?

What spec do you plan on doing PvP as? I'm assuming ret because you mentioned killing healers. Anyway, I PvP alot as holy and I will say get the crafted set before stepping foot in BG's. You will die a lot starting out but if you dont at least have that set you will see the graveyard the entire round.

I wouldnt say blindly kill healers, a lot of time its more effective to CC them so you can focus burst on FC or hard hitting dps depending on the BG you are in. If your in a larger group of players then yes i reccomend killing the healer quickly but in say a 4 v 3 or 2 v 3 type situation, just CC healer and kill dps fast.

Don NOT try to farm BG's in PvE gear until 5.3 drops. You will hate PvP real fast and never give it a fair chance. It's a lot of fun when you get gear inline with everyone else. Sucks real bad at first.
    Last edited by Ozone; 2013-04-08 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    On my Paladin, I haven't entered a BG or arena in over 2 years, not since they introduced holy power. however, I want to see how it goes now.

I'm not interested in rated PvP, just some casual non-rated BG's. how do I start with e.g. gear? get the crafted PvP set? just farm BG's in my PvE set? farm dungeons as prot and convert Justice to Honor? how should I approach this?

and addons? I know that Healers Have To Die is pretty major, anything else?
    Get gladiator Los sa it call abilities so you dont have to recognize the icons on the frames, also gladius is nice for seeing who dr's for what.

The addons I use for pvp are

tidyplates
    gladiatorlossa
    gladius
    bgtargets
    deadly pvp mods
    mik scrolling combat text
    doom_cooldownpulse

as for gear I would highly reccomend crafting at least some blue gear as the resil and pvp power are invaluable when starting out.

If all you're after is some relaxed BG's as a DPS (Ret) without getting too frustrated over the gear disparency I'd urge you to at the very least get the crafted gear before entering BGs. If you feel motivated enough you might, as you suggested, even do dungeons and farm your gear there.

When it comes to AddOns, it's all quite personal. I myself use a handful of PvP-only AddOns for BGs, and a few more for Arena. I also know of some others that especially casuals swear by. I'll list them here:

1. LoseControl -- Creates an icon with a cooldown sweep on the enemy player portrait when they have special buffs/debuffs (Personally use this)
    2. BattleGroundTargets -- This is mainly an RBG AddOn, but it works for BGs to. It allows you to see all your enemies in a small movable frame. (Personally use this)
    3. GladiatorLOS -- Uses sounds to inform you when certain abilities has been used around you. (Personally do not use this)
    4. HealersMustDie -- This is really not all that important, but it shows an icon above healer nameplates, which might be convienient. (Personally do not use this)

There are probably more AddOns, but these were just my tips. gl and hf
    Last edited by RelaZ; 2013-04-08 at 05:10 PM.

Dungeoning would probably be a little slower, but less frustrating than battlegrounds. The big downside though is that you won't develop any experience in PvP by avoiding it. Gearing up through battlegrounds, you'll be a more competent player by the time you're geared. If you can get yourself a set of the crafted dreadful gear, that'll be your best option for starting PvP. High-end PvE gear might be competitive with lesser PvP gear in terms of throughput, the lack of resilience means you'll still die about as easily as any green-geared newbie 90. Either way, you're probably going to have a rough time against geared players until you're just about finished your honor set. Don't get discouraged and quit before you're geared.

Probably the addons to look into are LoseControl, GladiatorlosSa, DiminishingReturns, and possibly Healers have to die. Not one of these is necessary, but they'll probably help you learn a little faster. They show you things that are already visible, but make them more obvious for people that don't know what to look for. The only addon I'd generally consider necessary is InterruptBar or Juked. They aren't quite as important for a melee, but if you're playing holy absolutely get one of these. Juked is a more bloated InterruptBar, and while I think it would be better for a beginner arena player, there are probably too many people in battlegrounds for it to be much use.