Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    pretty basic stuff, but pasta with a blue cheese sauce and some gordon bleu that goes with it and as dessert a nice ice cream .. id rater do some sport (as a designer and game fan i don't move that often) and burn calories while doing muai thai training then by changing my food habits. (besides what sane person would eat veggies when he can eat a steak with fries )

with the right training you still loose weight and gain muscles (atleast thats my goal) 100 punch, 100 block, 100 side block, 40 push ups, 50 kicks, and some mixed 60 x weight for random stuff. if you would add boring stuff like running the "fat" burns even faster.

But well i'm from 97 to 78 in now around 2 years, 3 more to go and some more abs training and i'm happy with my body, i don't wana be a model .. they look hungry all the time :P i just don't wana look like a fat guy in the future (and i was on my best way there)
    Last edited by darkminaz; 2013-04-08 at 07:34 PM.

Deleted
    To anyone wanting to lose weight. Don't listen to this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    No offense but you came into this thread attacking his opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. Explain why and move on. There is no reason to be rude about it though.
    I wouldn't call it attacking an opinion when his would lead you to a form of malnutrition.

Maybe i should try some lose weight idea

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just provide a link to the original article and tell people to read that, rather than copy/pasting it here without any reference as if it's something new?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=81315&page=1

it needs to be said you should never consume less that 1100 calories (or 1200)
    "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
    — Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    Why not just provide a link to the original article and tell people to read that, rather than copy/pasting it here without any reference as if it's something new?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=81315&page=1
    You mean don't just plagiarize pretending to have some useful input? Are you new to the internet?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You mean don't just plagiarize pretending to have some useful input? Are you new to the internet?
    Hah yeah I should know better! Carry on, internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteaks View Post
    To lose weight you need to BURN more calories then you EAT. You do not necessarily need to exercise regularly to accomplish this, since your body burns calories all day. Your weight loss will be much more rapid, and you can eat more, if you do find time to slip in some regular cardiovascular exercise.

So to start out you want to try to drop your caloric intake by 400-500 calories. This will most likely get your burning more then you eat.. unless you are rapidly gaining weight right now, which means you are taking in a LOT more then you burn. If this is the case you need to get more drastic, but for now 400-500 fewer calories per day should do.

How do you do that? It is actually quite simple, but I would need to know your currently diet to make it very precise. I will tell you some pretty easy and common ways to cut 500 calories a day out.

DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

SODA - just 3 12oz regular sodas per day has about 450 calories You can drink diet though, especially if you need caffeine. I HATE diet, but believe me I got used to it. I still don't like it but the only reason I really need to drink soda is for caffeine.

MAYO - People think eating sandwiches is healthy, not if you have mayo on them. I know a lot of people can't handle this, but use a good mustard instead. You will be surprised, you can really live without mayo. You may need to give up things like Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, Potatoe Salad completely if you cannot handle these without the mayo. BUT, low fat mayo in moderation is exceptable.

CHIPS - One exception, feel free to eat anything BAKED. I love baked lays. They make baked ruffles.. and there are baked tortilla chips. Never eat cheetos.. doritoes.. fritos.. potatoe chips, etc. These are extremely high in calories and saturated fat.

FRENCH FRIES - anything FRIED. Sorry guys, you just gotta live without.

ICE CREAM - You can eat non-fat frozen yogurt or LOW fat ice cream, but for reasons I will discuss below its not a good idea either.

Donuts, Bagels, Candy, Pastries (no cookies!) - These things go straight to fat in your body.

JUICE and most FRUIT. - Juice is death!!! FRUIT is ****. its all Fructose, which is a type of sugar, and WILL cause you to store fat. Now don't take this as never eat any fruits, fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries with high fibre content and low GI is ok. Fruit is great if you are living a "healthy" lifestyle, but for losing FAT it will hinder your progress. Mod Edit: Fruit is fine! It contains high fiber content which controls the release of fructose. Don't skimp on fruit

SALAD DRESSINGS & OIL - Go for NON-FAT dressing.. they still taste good.. especially honey mustard and ranch. One serving of dressing has 100+ calories!

CHEESE - unless you can find non-fat.. skip it. You can live without it.

Ok so what to make sure you ARE eating:

PROTEIN: protein should be a BIG part of your diet, this is why. Protein fills you up, but has half the calories as fat. Protein also does not cause your body to store fat, but carbs do. I will explain later.

WATER: This is VERY important for a few reasons. Drink it all day long, constantly, force yourself too even when you are not thirsty. There are techniques to do this, fill a glass and drink it all at once. Then fill the glass again to take with you or whatever. Why water. Well first off you need a ton of water for your body to burn fat. It will increase you metabolism and help you burn burn burn. But here is the reason why I think its great.. pounding a glass of water can trick your body into thinking it is not hungry.. it is great for when you get late night cravings... slam some water and go to bed.. in the morning you wake up starving.. before breakfast drink a ton of water and you wont eat as much. Use it to fill you up.

VEGGIES: Vegetables fill you up, but have little or no calories. You can use them as snacks and fillers. I prefer carrots. They are crunchy like chips, have a little taste.. and really have no calories.
    So what good stuff can you eat though?

SNACKS: try nuts or peanut butter. Nuts are super high in fat, but the oils you get from it are good and essential to the body. Try a trail mix, even one with some chocolate in it. Its far better then candy.

STEAK, CHICKEN, & TURKEY: who doesn't love a great steak.. and how many different ways can you eat chicken? Tons! For steaks go for New York, or Sirloin... Top and bottom round is good too but tough. NEVER EVER eat Rib Eye or Filet Mignon they are LOADED with fat .. London Broil and Tri Tip is not bad either.

FAST FOOD: yes you can eat fast food, you just have to be smart about it. Try to get meals that have chicken. Cut out the french fries and mayo and you will be left with a semi-decent fast food meal. Fast food is NOT ideal by any means but for someone who is busy it is inevitable at times.

PROTEIN BARS: there are TONS on the market now. Many taste really good, some taste like a candy bar. I like Detour bars.. and they have 32g of protein each! Cliff bars are not bad either if you find a flavor you like.

Yogurt! Get non-fat, there are tons of flavors out there to play with.

You really have to get yourself in a mode of thinking "Is what I am eating now going to be good for me or bad for me?" Everything you put into your body should have a purpose, don't just eat because it tastes good.

Also, some fat is ok.. don't sweat it. The reason why you have to concentrate on looking to reduce it is because people normally eat more fat then they should, so really key in on that and look for ways to eliminate it. To compensate beef up your protein intake.

So why no juice? no bagels? no carbs?
    This is why everyone says carbs are bad: It really isn't that CARBS are bad.. it is that sugar is bad.. and carbs have tons of sugars in them. Complex carbs are good. whole grain bread, etc, but don't go overboard.

So why is sugar bad? To process sugar your body releases insulin, and insulin promotes fat storage! You ultimately want to keep your insulin levels low low low. And very consistent and even.. when you get an insulin "spike" your body puts fat on, in men it puts it around the waste. So this is why you need to avoid sugar like the plague!

So I hope this does not sound bad or depressing, it really isn't. You do not need to starve, you do not need to give up everything that is good in life

The REALLY good news is that you do not need to live like this forever. If you follow everything above you will be adhering to a fairly strict diet. Use it to drop weight.. say for 2, 3, 4 maybe even 6 months. Once you get to where you want you can increase you calories slightly.. start adding in a dessert here and there.. treating yourself more. I stayed on the diet above for 3 months or so, now I eat much more liberally.

The number one piece of advice to take from this is: Be conscious of what you are eating at all times and its effect on your body!

Anyone will self control can diet themselves. People tend to use weight watchers and things like that because they need a support group, they are not strong willed enough to suck it up and do it for themselves. I am sure if you set a goal you will have no problem meeting it.

I know you are busy with work, but throw in a basketball game at a gym every few days.. or a short job... a ride on a stationary bike.. something to burn a few hundred extra calories here and there. The more you exercise, the more you can eat!

DO NOT weigh yourself regularly. Scales are a bad indicator of FAT loss. Measuring yourself every 2-4 weeks gives you a way better indication if you are lossing inches or not. Start today, find out where you are at. Then track your progress. Your own progress will be self motivating.

good luck!
    I love this, this needs to be proof-read (saw a few typo and errors but nothing major) and stickied for sure!

It really is just being conscious of what you eat all the time, know when your messing up, and when your doing good. Also I believe its important to accept that you will make mistakes and that you shouldn't beat yourself up too bad for doing so.
    Call me House.

Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    I love this, this needs to be proof-read (saw a few typo and errors but nothing major) and stickied for sure!

It really is just being conscious of what you eat all the time, know when your messing up, and when your doing good. Also I believe its important to accept that you will make mistakes and that you shouldn't beat yourself up too bad for doing so.

Yeah, you are totally right. Lose weight is a long time job, needs method and more important is perseverance. Keep on it is so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    No offense but you came into this thread attacking his opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. Explain why and move on. There is no reason to be rude about it though.
    He didn't attack his opinion (which apparently wasn't even his opinion at all, given that the OP seemingly just copy-pasted the whole thing from another site). He just posted his own (better informed, IMO) counter-opinion.

Losing weight quickly just for the sake of social pressures is very unhealthy most of the time. Instead, just have a varied diet, keep the munchies under control, and exercise.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Although these are good guidelines, weight loss does not mean you are healthy. Diet combined with exercise and maintained throughout your life is the only way to be healthy. Exercise doesn't mean you have to go run a mile every day, though. Buy yourself a pedometer, they are usually really cheap, and try to take 3000 steps a day. Just take a break every hour or so and spend 5 minutes walking around your building or something. It's a small change that will make a world of difference in both your physical and mental health.

A better and simpler way to balance your diet is what's called the DASH diet, and it's incredibly easy.

Fill half your plate with vegetables, 1/4 with carbohydrates, and 1/4 with meat. Don't add salt (there's a nice product called NoSalt that tastes just like salt that you can use)

Another big thing you can do to help with weight loss is to take an Omega-3 pill every day. Omega 3 is the "good fat" you hear so much about and it will help you regulate the fats in your body. Eating a lot of foods that are filled with these omega 3s is a good idea too, and these foods include things like Avocados, Mackerel, Sardines, and Tuna.

A somewhat more contraversial supplement you can take is something called Raspberry Keytones, which studies have shown helps you burn fat fast. However, these studies have been contested and it is probably best for you to do the research on these yourself before deciding whether or not to add them to your diet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzi View Post
    Although these are good guidelines, weight loss does not mean you are healthy. Diet combined with exercise and maintained throughout your life is the only way to be healthy. Exercise doesn't mean you have to go run a mile every day, though. Buy yourself a pedometer, they are usually really cheap, and try to take 3000 steps a day. Just take a break every hour or so and spend 5 minutes walking around your building or something. It's a small change that will make a world of difference in both your physical and mental health.

A better and simpler way to balance your diet is what's called the DASH diet, and it's incredibly easy.

Fill half your plate with vegetables, 1/4 with carbohydrates, and 1/4 with meat. Don't add salt (there's a nice product called NoSalt that tastes just like salt that you can use)

Another big thing you can do to help with weight loss is to take an Omega-3 pill every day. Omega 3 is the "good fat" you hear so much about and it will help you regulate the fats in your body. Eating a lot of foods that are filled with these omega 3s is a good idea too, and these foods include things like Avocados, Mackerel, Sardines, and Tuna.

A somewhat more contraversial supplement you can take is something called Raspberry Keytones, which studies have shown helps you burn fat fast. However, these studies have been contested and it is probably best for you to do the research on these yourself before deciding whether or not to add them to your diet.
    Also look out for hidden stuff like a ton of sugar in "Fat Free" Yoghurts" ...try to avoid cream in coffee and shit...well you get the point. Also fruits tha are very ripe have a lot of sugar...so eating that before go to sleep epic fail.

Food industry giving people who want to live healthya hard time. I am on a strict vegan diat....eating a shitload proteins through tofu, gaining muscels loosing fat....for sure you have to do workouts aswell on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Asdfywea View Post
    it needs to be said you should never consume less that 1100 calories (or 1200)
    You would absolutely hate my current diet then! but its working for me (However "Unhealthy" it may be)

Lotta terrible posts here lol

People tend to overcomplicate the concept of weightloss. During my weightloss I lived by a few simple rules:

1. No candy (bars, chips etc.)
    2. Varied meals and smaller portions (no skipping meals - big no no)
    3. 2-3 hours of workout weekly
    4. No elevators or escalators - ALWAYS stairs.

In one year I lost 55 pounds.

Also, a slow weightloss is MUCH more sustainable and likely to be permanent.

Z.

If you really struggle with your weight (as I have) I highly recommend joining Weight Watchers. Although it can be expensive, they have everything spelled out for you in simple and easy to understand terms and they have support groups, both online and in person, all over the world. I can't recommend Weight Watchers enough. Weight Watchers is the only weight loss plan I have ever heard of a real doctor recommending and it is one of the only diets that is both health and sustainable. Plus, on this plan you can eat absolutely anything you want as long as you keep track of it and are careful how you go about it.

While I appreciate the OP's intention, some of this information is wrong. Low-fat diets are not the way to go, so long as you're eating healthy fats.

SODA - just 3 12oz regular sodas per day has about 450 calories You can drink diet though, especially if you need caffeine. I HATE diet, but believe me I got used to it. I still don't like it but the only reason I really need to drink soda is for caffeine.
    More about energy drinks than diet ones, but a lot of the principles are apparently the same - http://www.truthaboutabs.com/energy-drinks.html
    Then this one is specifically about artificial sweeteners (which get used in a lot of diet food products) - http://www.truthaboutabs.com/artific...al-stevia.html
    Finally there's http://www.truthaboutabs.com/diet-so...s-you-fat.html

MAYO - People think eating sandwiches is healthy, not if you have mayo on them. I know a lot of people can't handle this, but use a good mustard instead. You will be surprised, you can really live without mayo. You may need to give up things like Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, Potatoe Salad completely if you cannot handle these without the mayo. BUT, low fat mayo in moderation is exceptable.
    Whenever you take fat out, you replace it with something else. In most diet foods, fat is replaced with sweeteners and chemicals. If you want mayo, make your own with decent ingredients!

ICE CREAM - You can eat non-fat frozen yogurt or LOW fat ice cream, but for reasons I will discuss below its not a good idea either.
    If you read all of the links I've provided, you should see that "low fat" options won't do you much good. The main problem with ice cream is the amount of sugar it has in it, and everything else which has been added. You can actually make really nice ice cream with your favourite protein shake, some fruit and an ice-cream maker!

e.g. 200ml whole milk, 100g greek yoghurt, the required amount of strawberry protein powder, a handful of raspberries (if they're too tart, cook them lightly in a bit of maple syrup or honey).

SALAD DRESSINGS & OIL - Go for NON-FAT dressing.. they still taste good.. especially honey mustard and ranch. One serving of dressing has 100+ calories!
    I've an article somewhere specifically about salad dressings, if I can find it. In the meantime, you may find this interesting - http://www.truthaboutabs.com/abs-diet-grocery-tips.html
    Ah, here's the one I was looking for - http://www.truthaboutabs.com/super-h...-dressing.html

CHEESE - unless you can find non-fat.. skip it. You can live without it.
    This is bad advice. To find out why, read http://www.truthaboutabs.com/dairy-fat-is-healthy.html

NEVER EVER eat Rib Eye or Filet Mignon they are LOADED with fat .. London Broil and Tri Tip is not bad either.
    http://www.truthaboutabs.com/grass-fed-beef.html - read the whole article and you'll see why I linked it.

PROTEIN BARS: there are TONS on the market now. Many taste really good, some taste like a candy bar. I like Detour bars.. and they have 32g of protein each! Cliff bars are not bad either if you find a flavor you like.
    Protein bars can be good, but you have to choose carefully. Most aren't worth the money. Read this to find out why - http://www.truthaboutabs.com/protein...nutrition.html

Yogurt! Get non-fat, there are tons of flavors out there to play with.
    Again, fat is not the problem, sugar (including most alternative sweeteners) are. See http://www.truthaboutabs.com/the-pro...th-yogurt.html

[edit] Lots of quotes with no reply at the moment - trying to find the articles on why they're wrong (I get a lot of info by email, which isn't much use unless I copy/paste the entire thing ><)

[edit2] Most of the links so far are from Mike Geary - that's simply because he's pretty good at putting his articles on the web rather than just in an email. I've seen the same information from plenty of other sources. Mike actually writes interesting articles about all kinds of stuff - they're all linked and are worth reading at http://www.truthaboutabs.com/Trainin...-Articles.html
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2013-04-10 at 12:26 PM.

I wish more people would stop looking at things from a "diet" perspective, and look at things from a "lifestyle" perspective. I dunno, to me a lot of people view a diet as a short term change of habits to accomplish a specific goal. That may be weight loss, it may be something else. Their thought process is that they are trying to do something a little more healthy. But after their goal is reached, once they hit that mark, do they go back and do whatever they've done in the past to get where they were in the first place? Why not look at things in a, "I want to change my lifestyle" sort of way.

I may be overestimating some peoples discipline to pull off such a change but I think it makes more sense then trying to do beneficial changes for yourself...but in a short term mind-set.
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

I prefer eating mayo with omega 3 and cheese
    than taking protein shake or protein bar, full of sucarrette and carbs