Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Heroic ToT fire mage guide

    I wrote up a guide for Heroic ToT from a mage stand point. I notice many people asking questions and I was bored so I put this together:

    http://realmlast.com/index.php/forum...tot-mage-guide

    If you found it useful let me know and I will continue with it for next tier and post it much earlier. (as opposed to 4 months into the tier like now)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    There is already a really great Guide regarding Fire mages sticky on this forum. It covers even very advanced topics.

  3. #3
    I don't see a heroic ToT guide for mages but okay, lol.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster durrtygoodz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The big UK
    Posts
    1,354
    Nice guide, particular the "how to DPS on each fight". I wish someone would make something similar to that for moonkins lol

  5. #5
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,007
    One thing I'd like to point out...

    If you're going to use Cold Snap (which I greatly recommend) on Jin'rohk, you shouldn't be using it instantly after Ice Block. Save that 30% heal for storm! It's WAY more helpful than you may think!

    Anyways, nice little guide here

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    BTag: Polarthief#1411 (send me a PM or something; I remove randoms w/o notice)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    One thing I'd like to point out...

    If you're going to use Cold Snap (which I greatly recommend) on Jin'rohk, you shouldn't be using it instantly after Ice Block. Save that 30% heal for storm! It's WAY more helpful than you may think!

    Anyways, nice little guide here

    The point with using it asap is that you'll have coldsnap up for the 3rd ionization aswell

    - - - Updated - - -

    As for the guide, it lacks advanced tips and tricks and i'd disagree with some of the glyph choices suggested. Lei shen tips regarding when to use and how to use your personal defense abilities in regards to static shock are a mess as well.

  7. #7
    Jin'Rokh
    Greater Invisibility is a better choice then Ice block + Cold Snap for Ionization.
    Just pop it 2 secs before the debuff runs out, and the CD lines up perfectly with it zo you can use it every Ionization.

    Horridon
    the Direhorns dont bug. If you invis, they lose their target and pick another one until you come out of Invis. Thats normal behaviour.
    Invis is still a good choice here to remove dots from Venom Priests and the adds on the 3rd door. You can knock the Spirit back far enough so it wont start hitting someone when you use it.

    But soem pretty good tips in there, nice job.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Itegos View Post
    Jin'Rokh
    Greater Invisibility is a better choice then Ice block + Cold Snap for Ionization.
    Just pop it 2 secs before the debuff runs out, and the CD lines up perfectly with it zo you can use it every Ionization.

    Horridon
    the Direhorns dont bug. If you invis, they lose their target and pick another one until you come out of Invis. Thats normal behaviour.
    Invis is still a good choice here to remove dots from Venom Priests and the adds on the 3rd door. You can knock the Spirit back far enough so it wont start hitting someone when you use it.

    But soem pretty good tips in there, nice job.

    NO
    You iceblock before he cast ionization to avoid the debuff entirely.

    Using invis with the direhorn following you does no longer make it go ham on the rest of the raid.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dabsy View Post
    NO
    You iceblock before he cast ionization to avoid the debuff entirely.
    We did our first testing with Heroic Jin'rokh last night.
    I first tried the usual Iceblock->ColdSnap-tactics.
    In the last tries i decided to go to Gr.Invis. I think this is better. With Iceblock you are sitting 6-7 seconds doing nothing and wasting an really great defensespell for P2. With Invis u only loose 1 GCD and 3-4 seconds out of water.
    The second thing is the align with Bloodlust. We startet Bloodlust the moment when all are in the first puddle. If i had to iceblock for the first ionzation that was in this timeframe of boodlust. If i Invis it out i have nearly the whole Bloodlust to dmg.
    In the conclusion i would say: Take what u think is better for you. Both things are possible and i think they only belong to personal preferences.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    With Iceblock you are sitting 6-7 seconds doing nothing
    Why? Hit Iceblock when you see his cast (or halfway through if you are confident) and then hit it again when it has finished. Maximum 2 seconds in iceblock? That's far better in terms of dps lost than having to run outside of the pool and then back in again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    Take what u think is better for you. Both things are possible and i think they only belong to personal preferences.
    Considering the guide is for how to get the most dps out of each fight, I don't think it's a personal preference at all here :P Cold Snap+Ice Block is the best for Jin'Rokh, there is no better way.

    www.scrubbusters.com - 12/14HC - Recruiting exceptional players!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    We did our first testing with Heroic Jin'rokh last night.
    I first tried the usual Iceblock->ColdSnap-tactics.
    In the last tries i decided to go to Gr.Invis. I think this is better. With Iceblock you are sitting 6-7 seconds doing nothing and wasting an really great defensespell for P2. With Invis u only loose 1 GCD and 3-4 seconds out of water.
    The second thing is the align with Bloodlust. We startet Bloodlust the moment when all are in the first puddle. If i had to iceblock for the first ionzation that was in this timeframe of boodlust. If i Invis it out i have nearly the whole Bloodlust to dmg.
    In the conclusion i would say: Take what u think is better for you. Both things are possible and i think they only belong to personal preferences.
    Except you dont sit 6-7sec in a iceblock.. you pop iceblcok just be4 Jin'rokh is done casting ionization and cancel iceblock immediately after that

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Grondath View Post
    Why? Hit Iceblock when you see his cast (or halfway through if you are confident) and then hit it again when it has finished. Maximum 2 seconds in iceblock? That's far better in terms of dps lost than having to run outside of the pool and then back in again.
    K i understanded it that u have to be in the iceblock before he starts to cast so he can't target u with the spell. Therefore and for the little reactiontime for Coldsnap i came to this time.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Why are you running out and back in? You can wait until the very end of Ionization and Blink out of the pool, Lightning Storm begins immediately after.
    I'm not :P Running and blinking are in my eyes the same thing. Perhaps "moving" would have been a better word. Lightning Storm doesn't actually begin until 5-10 seconds after the debuff expires so you're missing plenty of damage by being out of the pool after your Ionization (if you had it) expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Jin'rohk should be dead before the third pool which means Cold Snap is practically a waste minus the heal, you would gain better survivability from Greater Invisibility.
    Yes of course he will be dead before the 3rd pool (and probably before your 2nd ionization runs out if you haven't ice blocked it) if the dps in your guild is good enough. I assumed this guide is for those who are progressing and therefore dps won't be that high (meaning you might well get a 3rd or maybe even 4th pool due)

    www.scrubbusters.com - 12/14HC - Recruiting exceptional players!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    K i understanded it that u have to be in the iceblock before he starts to cast so he can't target u with the spell. Therefore and for the little reactiontime for Coldsnap i came to this time.
    Then your reaction time is slow and you need to work on it. There's no reason to sit in there for more than two seconds to immune, and you should have a rotation with your healers to dispel pools you can't immune anyways.

    You don't have to be in the block before he begins the cast, only before he finishes.

  15. #15
    Hey ! Nice tips here and there, some are common sense but others are really instructives. You might add a note saying that alter timing the ionization Jinrokh's debuff will wipe the raid. I also thought about few thing but I cant remember them all. I'll edit

  16. #16
    Hi Qyietstorm,

    Coincidentally I also undertook the same exercise as you, although yours is more organized . I don't mean to steal your thunder (pun intended?), but more information is probably better. Maybe someone could bring all the tips together into a ToT guide.

    I played frost up to Council for heroic progression, then I switched to fire. Arc for ra-den. All these notes were written with 10M heroic in mind.

    Jin'rokh the Breaker
    - Glyph Ice block and block/deblock right before Ionization, making you immune to the spell
    - Cold snap for second pool
    - PrePot ~10s before pull, or wait until pot cd is back up before setting up combustion in pool #1.

    Horridon
    - Macro: /tar Direhorn Spirit /cast Mage Bomb /targetlasttarget
    - Mirrors can nuke your direhorn away if you cast at it after they spawn

    Council of elders
    - Watch for Blue arrow on head for frostbite: you have about 1s to ice block before it applies, preventing application. This could make the fight during progression.
    - If a Soul Fragment spawns on you, you can try nova+deep it before the nova breaks. Then you can take advantage of shatter (e.g. mage bomb, fireball, inferno blast, pyro!)

    Tortos
    - Macro: similar to Horridon
    - You can spread combustion/other to turtles if you time it as they are right under his belly.
    - If you are assigned kicking duty, blazing speed, cauterize are invaluable - sometimes you need to stand in the circles to kick at the right time.
    - Bats and other turtles also take extra damage if hit by kicked turtles.

    Megaera
    - Ginvis removes cinders
    - RoF can interrupt adds
    - Blazing speed is good if you don’t have a lock gateway, to get back to group after kiting a frost beam

    Ji-Kun
    - Don’t use feathers to drop down, just fall; use them to grab primal nutriments when Feed Young happens.
    - Combust with primal nutriment up!
    - Blink or slow fall, respectively, could save you if you overshoot or undershoot the nest below
    - Stay close to boss for draft, blink once when needed and it should be enough to stay on. If not, you can block.

    Durumu the Forgotten
    - Figure out where tank is going to be on pull, and stay next to there. All your spells will fly around to Durumu’s face before they hit (as far as I can tell), so be right in front of him and you will have more reaction time to HU/HS during the opener’s hero+meta gem super fast casts.
    - You can cast at dark parasites on yourself.
    - BS and Blink will get you out to the edge, then back in, when you get a pool spawn. Don’t drop crap in the maze area!
    - If you can manage it, be in the blue beam, almost in the middle of the platform. You can then hit all red spawns without moving.
    - ICE WALL: Refresh evo well before timer
    - ICE WALL: Get combustion up on Durumu right after Ice wall timer hits, and spread after the graphic is up and the health bars are visible. You will have comb on Durumu and the three “ice units” right next to him. Mage bomb these too (you might have to adjust your angle for LoS).
    - ICE WALL: Once first ice wall is down, spread your combustion again from the first “ice unit” of a remaining wall (since you can have 4 combustions).
    - If you run immediately to the edge of the maze spawn, you should have time for evo’s and fireballs. Scorch and HS while catching up afterwards and repeat the cycle.

    Primordius
    - If you get a crit buff from oozes, swap to mage armor. If not, stick with molten.
    - If you like, open your char sheet and swap your trinkets with each other (e.g. slot 1 > drag > slot 2) right before the pull. This resets their internal timer so they won’t proc until 30s into the fight, when you have more buffs.
    - There are still some issues with AT facing and the elevator floor in the middle. I suggest being on the outside ring before using AT.

    Dark Animus (normal strat)
    - Combust animus as soon as you are free from your add/tank add assignments
    - You typically have time for one fireball + pyro! before a font lands on you, it you see it spawn while casting
    - Shield or block yourself before swaps


    Iron Qon
    ---Phase 1: Ro'shak + Quet'zal---
    - If you get separated from your stacking group due to a spear, stand on the edge of a trail, so someone on the opposite side can still click you out of a storm across it. If they get stormed, you can blink across them to click.
    - Blink+blazing speed gets you easily out of the windstorm without any help. Ice barrier right before windstorm timer and you’ll have even more survivability. You should never die to this mechanic. Watch the tornado paths and pick your window straight through.

    ---Phase 2: Quet'zal + Dam'ren---
    - The frost trails make annoying wiggles on the ground. Learn their pattern and avoid getting hit by the slow.
    - Move yourself to an open windows of the dead zones to dps, and if not possible, evo and precast.

    ---Final Phase---
    - Ice barrier, ginvis the later smashes when you need to.


    Twin Consorts
    P1
    - Nothing special here, spread combustions to twin if she appears close by. Otherwise dot and nuke her when she spawns
    - Learn the timing of the knockback, and use scorch or instants to avoid being interrupted.
    P2
    - Be ready to blink back immediately to position if you get charged
    - During inferno, refresh evo
    - Watch cast bar during inferno, and hard cast a pyro to land after it finishes, follow cast by blink to avoid a charge
    P3
    - Same tips as P1/P2

    Lei Shen
    - Blazing speed, Ginivis.
    - When thunderstrike spawns, you can wait longer to move because you have blink+bs to get to the next position quickly.
    - Transition 1: Pair with a tank only. You can handle shocks (Ginvis, IB), helms (BS, blink, IB) and soaks fine.
    - In phase 2 if you have lightning balls, stay ranged and focus boss. Your aoe is not worth casting . Use Ginvis to soak shocks again if its up. If not, run into melee.
    - Phase 3, use blink/BS to distance yourself from thunderstrikes and then to return to your position at range.

    Ra-den
    - AT at ~3s left on Unstable Anima, it removes the subsequent Anima Sensitivity debuff (let AT expire AFTER it jumps off you) so you can take another one
    - IB the second Anima Sensitivity, allowing for a third Unstable Anima
    - G Invis can solo soak a red ball in phase 2.

  17. #17
    th...

    third... ionization???

    hahahaha

  18. #18
    If you REALLY want to max your Jin'Rokh DPS, do nothing (literally nothing) until the first pool. Then you're guaranteed to have all your trinkets proccing and you're free to go as ham as possible.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by awildpidgeyappears View Post
    If you REALLY want to max your Jin'Rokh DPS, do nothing (literally nothing) until the first pool. Then you're guaranteed to have all your trinkets proccing and you're free to go as ham as possible.
    That's not gonna give you more effective dps for world of logs especially if you kill it before first ionization runs out like we do in my guild.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by dabsy View Post
    That's not gonna give you more effective dps for world of logs especially if you kill it before first ionization runs out like we do in my guild.
    That's probably true. But when you're carrying an alt or two in 10H and are working with a 2.5min kill time instead of 1.5, it's worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •